Old 04-03-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Contender-4/03/05

Didnt see a thread on it so thought id start one
Old 04-03-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The preview looked like this will be a good one.
Old 04-03-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anthony may be a "#1 Daddy" in his mind, but he's scum. What kind of role model is he. He lied to everyone. I hope that he loses tonight.

"Hey kids, you can get ahead by lying to everyone"
Old 04-03-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
Anthony may be a "#1 Daddy" in his mind, but he's scum. What kind of role model is he. He lied to everyone. I hope that he loses tonight.

"Hey kids, you can get ahead by lying to everyone"
Could you refresh my memory on what you are referring to? My brain is so full with work that I keep forgetting the important stuff like this.
Old 04-03-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didnt see it as that big of a deal that he didnt choose the guy they wanted him to fight.Why do they have all the match ups predetermined anyway? He went with what he thought would be the best fight for him so lets see if he was right
Old 04-03-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nazz
Could you refresh my memory on what you are referring to? My brain is so full with work that I keep forgetting the important stuff like this.
Pretty much both teams agreed who would be fighting who.

Anthony would fight Jimmy
Joey would fight Brent
Tarick would fight Juan

Anthony talks all this smack that he's gonna kill Jimmy. He tells his team that he really really wants to win the challenge so that mentally he could be the one to call out Jimmy. They win the challenge and Anthony calls out Brent. True, Jimmy would've been a bad matchup for him cuz of his long arms, but he should've been upfront about it instead of lying to everyone. You can't respect a liar.

He talks all this smack about being a "#1 Daddy" but he's pure scum for lying. Some kind of role model that he is.

Hek, everyone on his own team wants him to get knocked out by Brent.
Old 04-03-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like the Lord aint on his side today
Old 04-03-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't wait till someone knocks out Anthony....what a piece of crap.
Old 04-03-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well he won the fight but he has no friends,then again boxing aint a team sport.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty much both teams agreed who would be fighting who.

Anthony would fight Jimmy
Joey would fight Brent
Tarick would fight Juan

Anthony talks all this smack that he's gonna kill Jimmy. He tells his team that he really really wants to win the challenge so that mentally he could be the one to call out Jimmy. They win the challenge and Anthony calls out Brent. True, Jimmy would've been a bad matchup for him cuz of his long arms, but he should've been upfront about it instead of lying to everyone. You can't respect a liar.

He talks all this smack about being a "#1 Daddy" but he's pure scum for lying. Some kind of role model that he is.

Thanks. I appreciate the refresher. Lying to his team is enough to put him at the bottom for me too.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Spoiler:
Looks like Brent couldn't comply.
Old 04-03-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anthony is okay in my book. Everyone thought Ishe was selfish earlier in the season when he refused to fight someone and he waited a week and it was worth it.

Anthony just straight up clobbered Brent. It was a great fight to watch.

Brent: "The fight won't take long. It lasts 15 minutes."

More like 6 and half minutes, Brent.
Old 04-03-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anthony landed some bombs. Brent's face looked like he had been in a 12 round fight. At least Sharon Stone thought he was a good fighter.
Old 04-03-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts
I just don't like it, not one bit - I can understand the reality of him needing to "feed his kids" but for some reason, I just can't help not caring about losing all respect for him.

Also, what sense does it make to pick somebody different this time when you more than likely know you'll be facing the guy you didn't want to fight sooner or later? The dude just dug a huge hole for himself.

Last edited by Rival11; 04-03-05 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-03-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anthony did his homework. When the show was announced, I researched th fighters and emailed my brothers questioning how Brent got on the show. Looks like Anthony looked at the same thing. He had no business being on the show.
http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=016728
Old 04-03-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by thelwig14
Anthony did his homework. When the show was announced, I researched th fighters and emailed my brothers questioning how Brent got on the show. Looks like Anthony looked at the same thing. He had no business being on the show.
Once again though, he just pissed everyone off on both teams - sure boxing isn't a team sport but not only should he take into consideration that he's on a reality show and should go with the flow to some extent, he should also now know that everyone wants a piece of him......sure, everyone wants a piece of you when you're an established boxer as well but he's in a situation where he has to be FACE TO FACE with mulitple opponents everyday - in the gym, in the house, everywhere - not a smart move.
Old 04-03-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you're definitely right about that. He's fought a bunch of tomato cans and lost to some guy with a 42-170-11 record. But at least he won the rematch.

Also, Brent had only had 2 other fights since 1999.

Anthony is still scum in my book though. A man without his word is nothing.
Old 04-03-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On Anthony's bio on the contender website it says he fought Peter Manfredo (the guy who lost in week 1 and came back and won last week) and lost to him in 2004. Interesting.
Old 04-03-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TruGator
On Anthony's bio on the contender website it says he fought Peter Manfredo (the guy who lost in week 1 and came back and won last week) and lost to him in 2004. Interesting.
not only did Bonsante lose to Manfredo, he got DESTROYED by him according to the site that thelwig14 uses. Link

On 2 of the scorecards, he lost every single round.

Here's hoping that Manfredo or someone else beats the crap out of him again.
Old 04-03-05, 09:40 PM

Have to agree with the Anthony haters here. Screw the pre-determined fights and the reality show bullshit. You're a fighter and no one is gonna help you fight your opponent so pick who you want. But he dead out lied to his teammates faces the entire time because he knew if he said he wanted someone else they would've argued with him. I can see his logic, I just don't agree with the tactics. Any man should have the balls to stand up for what they believe, especially a fighter. You don't want to fight Lange? Fine. Be a man and tell your teammates the truth. Of course a real fighter doesn't care who you put in front of him but that's another story altogether. It was a spineless move on his part and I hope someone knocks him out good and quick.

That said, it was an entertaining fight. It's always fun to see someone get beat to a bloody pulp. This show keeps rolling on and is my 2nd favorite reality show right behind Survivor and ahead of Amazing Race.
Old 04-03-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
caught the end waiting for Law and Order
that guying crying like a little girl was awesome
Old 04-03-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It looks like the next two fights are going to be interesting as it is involving some spares. Maybe we will have another stoppage. I still do not blame Anthony though. Najai was an idiot for picking someone with a distinct height and reach advantage and Anthony did not want to make the same mistake (even though it appears Joey might be a scrub). We did not see any footage of when the pairings were created so we do not know if Anthony pushed to fight Lange or not. Either way, his ass is in the final 8. Regardless if you hate the guy or not, we can all agree that Cooper was a cupcake.
Old 04-03-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It looks like the next two fights are going to be interesting as it is involving some spares. Maybe we will have another stoppage. I still do not blame Anthony though. Najai was an idiot for picking someone with a distinct height and reach advantage and Anthony did not want to make the same mistake (even though it appears Joey might be a scrub). We did not see any footage of when the pairings were created so we do not know if Anthony pushed to fight Lange or not. Either way, his ass is in the final 8. Regardless if you hate the guy or not, we can all agree that Cooper was a cupcake.
I think that Joey was paired with Brent since they were the weakest fighter remaining on each team. Brent hasn't fought anyone and neither has Joey.

It looks like Jimmy & Anthony have similar recordsand have faced similar competition so that's why they were paired up.

Jimmy should be the big winner here cuz he now has an easier match with Joey.

Conversely, Joey is the big loser cuz now he has a much tougher match vs. Jimmy. If I were Joey, I'd be pretty dam pissed too.

True, that this is an individual competition but they're still on "teams" so it's also a team game. No one is gonna respect Anthony now, esp. Ishe, Jesse, and Joey. I'm sure that all of them can't wait to get at him and they're on his team. Ishe is clearly a better fighter than Anthony so I have every confidence that Ishe would destroy him. Jesse would probably kill him as well.

On the other team, I'm sure that Manfredo can't wait to beat the crap out of him again.

There's nothing worse than lying, esp. to your own teammates.

Last edited by Dabaomb; 04-04-05 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-03-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If the fights have been "pre-arranged", then why even have the winning team be able to call out the fighter on the other team. Why have competitions at all, just pair everyone up and fight each time a fight is supposed to take place. All the breast-beathing by the yellow was so lame. Please, these boxers obviously aren't schooled in logic and rules when it comes to playing to win a game, which is this TV show.

Omarosa, you just met your match with man-bitch, Anthony.

It's like, why do basketball teams moan and groan about getting seeded low for the NCAA tourney? It means a harder road to the final four, that's why. The same goes for Anthony's gamesmanship in motivating his team through the competition and then calling out the weakest opponent to pick on, and move on through the competition. The yellow team were just mad at being used in the competition, but each boxer tries hard in the competition because it's in their own best interest to be on the winning side, regardless of possible switcheroo's. Being able to pick your next opponent is a big advantage, and one that helps the team that wins the competition.

No one called foul when Najai called out the bigger guy, and he subsequently lost, and we know the rest of his story as well.
Old 04-03-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
BTW, I think my eyes rolled into my skull after all those times Brent was so sure his God cared whether he would be able to beat up on another man. I doubt God cares if one guy is knocking the crap out of another guy, all in his name, in his glory. And if Brent doesn't win, it's not that God forsake him, it just wasn't in the plan, well, if that's the case, why fight? The fact is, you got pummelled by a better fighter, regardless of your faith, and he stayed in and prepared himself, while you went out with team Yellow and watched them go drinking and having a good time. Why didn't God tell you to stay home and prepare? It's because you, Brent, are a knucklehead.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.