Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Project Snowblind

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-05, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Project Snowblind

I rented the Xbox version and was underwhelmed. I did a search here, but couldn't find a thread about it... just threads where it is mentioned as an upcoming title.

It was shaping up to be an epic FPS taking cues from Deus Ex. They seem to have rushed it to shelves though and presented us with just another average shooter. I'd give it a 6.5/10 (would've gotten a 7, but it was pretty short). I don't feel cheated since I only rented it and I got the satisfaction of finishing it, but I am a bit disappointed that they didn't go all the way with it.

It was pretty scripted and enemies are VERY stupid. You also get to go through the same areas several times. It fits the story, but it still feels a bit cheap that they did that. When you go through the same areas in a game like Half-Life, you're seeing it from an entirely different perspective and everything is quite different. In snowblind, you repeat the same areas and it feels more like they only did it to save money and rewrote the story to fit.

Contrary to what the tards over at Gamepro say, the controls are great. It's responsive and smooth - aiming is easy and bullets go where you want them to. In fact, it's a bit too easy, which is another problem with the game. There was never a shortage of ammo and you are armed to the teeth with enough firepower to take down an army... a much larger army than the small number of footsoldiers they throw at you. There were several weapons and powers I never even needed to touch. There was a "kicker" which acted as a poor-man's gravity gun - yet they never really presented a situation where you would need it. They just keep giving you more and more guns and powers. I never once needed or used a flashbang grenade and I only used the regular grenades once because I was too lazy to go check out where this one enemy was that I could hear.

They also give you more health packs than you'll ever need. And crates... stupid wooden crates that you smash and they contain a single goodie like ammo or health. Let's move beyond the crates now, shall we?

When I started playing the game, I played it like a run and gun - kinda blazing through it... but the enemies were hitting me, so I started playing really slow. It's scripted, so you can take your time all you want. Once I started taking my time, I rarely got hit by anything and the game became far too easy. Even with going about it slow, I finished really fast.
Old 04-03-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
yeah when I asked people about this game they said it was repetitive and not to good.
Old 04-03-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, I rented it....played the first mission, and was disappointed. The LIVE play was not much better either....it was your basic FPS online, and it was pretty lacking. Much better FPS out there right now.
Old 04-03-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was going to post a thread about Snowblind the other day, but forgot. Anyway, as a huge fan of Invisible War, I was really looking forward to Snowblind, at least until they completely scrapped any connection between the two. Snowblind just seemed terribly generic and really wasn't that challenging, nor did I feel it took advantage of the possibilities that could've been - ie, you never really had much of a choice between gunning and stealth, but they had a few air ducts to give that appearance. At one point in the game, towards the end, there was one really good level, and I had hopes the game would progress in that vein, but alas.

But the most grating was the completely generic main character.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10 at the most.
Old 04-03-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Liquid Death
But the most grating was the completely generic main character.
seriously... it was right out of a generic main hero textbook. It's hard to get immersed in a story when your character has no motivations other than because he's a dedicated soldier... he was really one dimensional. No twisted past, no tortured memories, no internal conflicts, no love interests, no revenge story, not even a backstory at all except for the first level before the augmentations... and all that is is a battle where you're a generic grunt.
Old 11-04-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Hmmm, I picked this up the other day and so far it's pretty cool. Lotsa action and I like having Soldiers with me most of the time unlike Halo I and II where they eventually die or stay in a location so you can go solo.
Old 11-04-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Talk about digging something up from the past! I came very close two weeks ago picking up a used copy of this at Gamecrazy. I remember when this and a couple of other FPS games hit around the same time and later on. Like Piriah, Area51, Star Wars Republic Commando, Unreal T.-2, and Doom3. I was hoping to find Piriah on sale but the price on it is still up. I was about to grab Snowblind when the guys there said Doom3 CE was at $25 and I got that instead.

That's one of the reasons why I'm not jumping right away on the 360 bandwagon. There are still a lot of good games out for XBox that I haven't played and very soon the price on them will be even better.

Kenny J. - Buzz
Old 11-04-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got this for $9.99 on Xbox, and found it to be a decent game. For what I paid for it, I was quite pleased with it.