Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD to TV without "Video/Input Option"...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-05, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I want to hook my portable DVD player to a TV that will not allow you to switch to Video or Input. This was the case at a hotel where they want you to purchase the movies from them instead hooking up your own entertainment devices. I think I have a way to get around this in the following manor...

The cables for the DVD to TV have RCA males (left/right/video) - if I have an adaptor that has RCA females to an F Connector, would I be able to unplug the TV from the cable coax and plug in this new adaptor and watch the DVD?
Old 04-01-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No. You need a modulator to transfer from RCA hookups to antenna. Around $20-30 almost anywhere.

This is just for hotels, right? If there are actually RCA video inputs available, try some of the likely channels that the video inputs might be on. 0, 1, 99, anything in the 90s, etc. Some TVs don't have a "Video" name on the input, it's just tuned to a channel. But most hotel TVs I've seen don't allow much in the way of you hooking something up, I don't know if anything would work. I believe they have some sort of network controlling them these days, you may not be able to break into it.
Old 04-01-05, 04:32 PM

The last several hotels I've stayed in actually did have AV inputs on their TVs, which is probably a common request from vacationers with camcorders. On our last vacation we actually brought along a console DVD player, along with a pair of powered speakers, a couple TV seasons on DVD we were looking forward to catching up on, and several DVD+rs filled with MP3 files. Nice to be free from local TV and radio.

If the TV really has only one input connector -- the antenna/cable connector -- you'd need an RF modulator, like Spiky said.

RichC
Old 04-01-05, 10:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by rdclark
The last several hotels I've stayed in actually did have AV inputs on their TVs, which is probably a common request from vacationers with camcorders. On our last vacation we actually brought along a console DVD player, along with a pair of powered speakers, a couple TV seasons on DVD we were looking forward to catching up on, and several DVD+rs filled with MP3 files. Nice to be free from local TV and radio.

If the TV really has only one input connector -- the antenna/cable connector -- you'd need an RF modulator, like Spiky said.

RichC
you go on vacation and bring a full dvd player (presumably with all cables), speakers, tv sets, and music dvd's...where'd ya go, the living room!

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-01-05 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-02-05, 12:09 AM

Well, if you're living in your hotel room, that sort of makes it a living room, no?

Seriously, though... I stuck 12 DVDs in a wallet (a season of West Wing and two seasons of MASH) along with four DVD+Rs that had something like 4000 songs on them. The player, the wallet, the speakers, a power strip and some cables all went into a fairly compact box.

Since we were in that hotel for most of two weeks, it was worth it to have our own music and TV programming (we rented a couple of individual movies locally as well). After a long day of activity, it was nice not to have to watch commercials on network TV or panned-and-scanned movies on HBO.

I did once stay in a suite hotel that not only had DVD players in the rooms, but also a free DVD lending library at the front desk.

RichC
Old 04-02-05, 12:48 AM

If you have a VCR hooked up , you can hook the DVD's RCA's to the inputs in back of that.

Last edited by ITALIAN926; 04-02-05 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-02-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ITALIAN926
If you have a VCR hooked up , you can hook the DVD's RCA's to the inputs in back of that.
In most cases that won't work because the VCR's Macrovision copy protection circuitry will be triggered.
Old 04-03-05, 01:45 AM

Well, I got it work like that on two different occasions.. on two different VCR's. Im talking about playing them, not recording them.
Old 04-03-05, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesn't matter if you're just playing. In a lot of VCRs, the Macrovision will be triggered anyway. A lot may depend on the brand of the VCR. I've seen five that wouldn't play, but with a friend's cheap-o RCA VCR the Macrovision was almost invisible.
Old 04-03-05, 11:04 AM

Not every DVD has the Macrovision flag present, either. You can try a given player through a given VCR and everything will seem fine until you hit a mainstream Hollywood movie (and not all of them, either) with Macrovision enabled.

RichC
Old 04-03-05, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rdclark
Not every DVD has the Macrovision flag present, either. You can try a given player through a given VCR and everything will seem fine until you hit a mainstream Hollywood movie (and not all of them, either) with Macrovision enabled.

RichC
I never had this problem when i watched movies through my VCR....
Old 04-06-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, if you're willing to bring your DVDp along with you, throw the Sima MV defeater in the bag, as well. I mean, you do have one, right?