Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wedding Crashers - O. Wilson/V. Vaughn/C. Walken

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This movie should be really funny.

Release Date: July 22, 2005

Plot Summary: Two of comedy's hottest stars - Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson - team up for the first time in "Wedding Crashers," a fast-paced comedy of love turned upside down. Vaughn and Wilson star as a pair of divorce mediators who spend their weekends crashing weddings in a search for Ms. Right...for a night. But when one of them falls for the engaged daughter (Rachel McAdams) of an influential and eccentric politician (Christopher Walken) at the social event of the year, they get roped into spending a wild weekend at the family’s palatial waterfront estate and quickly find themselves in over their heads.

The trailer and an interview can be found at:
http://www.mtv.com/shared/movies/fea...rs_set_041203/
Old 04-01-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

my friend was dating Owen Wison during the shoot of this. I didn't get to meet him though
Old 04-01-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cast has potential; cool be funny, could be awful.
Old 04-01-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
my friend was dating Owen Wison during the shoot of this. I didn't get to meet him though

pics of the friend?
Old 04-01-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

werent they both in Starsky and Hutch.... i mean wasnt that their first time
Old 04-01-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
pics of the friend?

she's pretty attractive. I don't have any pics, unfortunately, and I'd doubt that she would want them posted anyway. sorry.
Old 04-01-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

post them anyway.... we will be the judge...
Old 07-08-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
from today's Hollywood Elsewhere column by Jeffrey Wells:

Here They Come...

That Vince Vaughn profile in the current Newsweek doesn't lie. His performance as a motor-mouthed, totally scheming hound in most of Wedding Crashers -- a very sharp comic romp that's nearly a classic -- isn't just inspired, it's off the earth.

I was saying to myself during last night's press screening, "This is astounding...the great dialogue just keeps blasting away and Vaughn isn't missing a beat."

It's not just Vaughn, of course, but Vaughn and Owen Wilson -- also playing a schemer but at the same time the half-soulful counterpoint to Vaughn's totally sociopathic manipulator -- and the banter between them. These guys are a better comic team than Wilson and Ben Stiller. The back-and-forth is fantastic...it's Martin and Lewis-level.

Vaughn's comic timing and manic energy make this far and away his best performance since Swingers, and yet he's so much better here than he was in that 1996 film. It's Vaughn finding his groove the way Cary Grant kicked into gear when he made The Awful Truth and Bringing Up Baby.

Vaughn never falters except at the end when the movie makes him go all sappy and sincere. But mostly (and let's just admit here and now that Crashers doesn't quite make it all the way around the track) he's perfect. We're talking major current here.

Wedding Crashers (New Line, 7.8) stumbles at the close of the second act and doesn't get its groove back until the very end (it flops around like a goldfish for about 20 minutes), but most of it works. Just because a section of the final act doesn't play like it should doesn't mean the first 80% isn't glorious.

Nobody sings anything in The Wedding Crashers, but the gags and especially the His Girl Friday-on-steroids banter between Vaughn and Wilson is so hilarious and whip-smart that it feels like great music. We're talking kick-ass dialogue of an exceptionally high order...flip, smarty-pants stuff that doesn't quit and keeps building and getting funnier.

Plus a reasonably decent stab at romantic sincerity here and there and a very winning, career-making performance by Rachel McAdams.

It's Vaughn and Wilson (giving the warmest, most fully developed and winning performance of his career...as much of a career-bump thing as his breakout performance in Shanghai Noon was) hitting comic highs that haven't been felt in a mainstream studio comedy in ages.

It's the whole concoction -- the chemistry between Vaughn and costar Owen Wilson, the wit and attitude in Steve Faber and Bob Fisher's script (jazzed by Vaughn and Wilson's on-set improvs), and echoes of not just Meet the Parents but Mike Nichols' The Graduate.

The Wedding Crashers isn't as successful as it could be with the sincere emotional stuff, but it does a half-decent job of working with the Graduate scheme of the Three D's (desire, deception, discovery).

The Graduate is about Benjamin Braddock's desire for the sultry Mrs. Robinson, the deception he has to throw around to pursue his weeks-long affair with her, and the discovery of true love when he meets and falls for Elaine, her classy and soulful daughter. The last act is about Benjamin's trying to stop Elaine from marrying a sexist arrogant asshole named Carl.

The Wedding Crashers brings a slightly different order to the formula -- discovery preceded by desire preceded by deception.

It's about a likable deceiver (Wilson's John Beckwith) -- a guy who spends all his time crashing weddings with his pal Jeremy (Vaughn) so he can score with emotionally receptive bridesmaids by lying his ass off about everything...whatever works so he can get in their pants.

Emotions thicken when he falls for a very classy and soulful girl (McAdam's Claire Cleary), a daughter of a powerful man (like Elaine's attorney dad was). The discovery comes when he realizes he's in love and absolutely has to prevent her from marrying an arrogant asshole named Sack (Bradley Cooper, who bears a resemblance to Brian Avery, the actor who played "Carl" 38 or 39 years ago).

I don't want to make too much of the Graduate analogies, but they do exist and The Wedding Crashers is at least trying to fuse sincere emotionality with rollicking humor. Call me an easy lay, but the fact that it's not too bad during the heartfelt portion (the last 20 minutes or so) strikes me as acceptable.

The bottom line is that most of this film sails above the clouds. I realize the R rating is going to restrict business among kids in the hinterlands, and it may be too hip for the room in the red-state areas and especially among those who thought Meet the Fockers was the schizzle.

Rachel McAdams, giving the most winning and emotionally grounded performance in a romantic comedy in a long time.

The Wedding Crashers is so much sharper and scalpel-ish than Fockers, they're not even in the same ballpark. I think it's funnier and a lot hipper than Meet the Parents even.

This is a great, great guy comedy...it accepts and celebrates the fact that 95% of the time the only way to get rolling with a woman is to give a sincerely tender, bullshit-stuffed performance. And the first two-thirds (or three-quarters or whatever) take you on a ride with a couple of serious pros who know all the ropes and the angles and still get thrown for a loop and are made to suffer for their sins.

And it's 80% pure pleasure.

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/
Old 07-08-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
I want to see this no matter what. I enjoyed Starsky and Hutch which most hated so I'm sure I'll enjoy this as well.
Old 07-08-05, 02:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I've missed two free sneak previews for this - wonder if that's a good or bad omen.
Old 07-08-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have liked pretty much every film these guys have been in. No doubt I'll like this one as well.
Old 07-08-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have passes to a sneak preview early next weekend. I've liked most films these guys have done together or with others (with the exception of the completely terrible Starsky and Hutch).

The teaser trailer had me sold on the film. However, once the second trailer showed promises of a "plot," I started to back away. The premise is just great on it's own, why try and bog that down with a "heartful" plot?
Old 07-08-05, 06:46 PM

I did the preview of this. This hands down is Vince Vaughn funniest. The sarcasism in this movie is hilarious. There are a lot of breasts in this movie. Theres a surpurise cameo apperence by a person that takes this comedy in a different direction. Its rare that I laugh out loud. The auidence laughed so hard that I believe we missed another punched line. Forget Swingers, this will be another classic. This film tends satify both sexes with McAdams gal from Notebook with the drama between men for the ladies. For the fellas like i said above theres plenty of breasts. Funny dialgue that most men will laugh at while ladies may frown upon.

Oh yeah , I started this movie two hours later than scedudle. People were fussy before the movie, but as they were walking out after the movie they all said it was well worth the wait. So I have to say this well worth full price.

You will like this if you liked

Notebook
Swingers
wedding singer

Last edited by Catch 21; 07-08-05 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-13-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw the sneak preview of this last night. My opinions on the film are VERY mixed.

The film has some great laugh out loud moments, mostly coming from Vince Vaughn. However, if you were to remove Vince Vaughn from the film, you'd be left with a mediocre film that deals with a cliched story about a man (Owen Wilson) trying to get the girl of his dreams (Rachel McAdams) away from a real asshole. Completely pedestrian territory that we've seen over and over again in films from the romantic comedy genre. The film completely underuses a majority of it's cast and Christopher Walken is thrown to waste as he's given nothing to do. Same applies to a specific cameo that happens near the end of the film.

As I said after the film, "This film had not enough crashing and too much plot." The film, during it's final act, drags on and on. A film about some wedding crashers does not need to be a two-hour exercise in romantic comedy. There are some scenes in the film in which the writer and director do not know how to properly end them and they usually keep said scenes going on for an eternity before abruptly ending them. The movie cannot find a quick enough pace to keep up with Vaughn's fast-paced sly humor, and that is the film's major problem... the crew cannot keep a delicate balance between the film's humor and the (terrible) "heart-felt" storyline; but at least there's some female nudity here and there.

If one wanted to see the movie, I'd recommend waiting for DVD. If you have an urge to see this movie ASAP, go during a matinee.

Vince Vaughn:
Everything else:
Old 07-13-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was posted over at Aint-it-cool and I was utterly shocked to find a well written review on that site:

Second order of business, I saw some movie called WEDDING CRASHERS. Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn play a couple of dickheads who like to sneak into weddings because somehow it causes them to automatically get laid. When I first saw the trailer for this one I felt insulted. It seemed like one of those premises that would maybe seem funny when you first think of it but then you would realize before you got a chance to even write it down that it was not funny enough for anybody to actually make or especially watch. The trailer didn't show any of the plot but I assumed it would be one of those generic romantic comedies where the protagonist lies and tricks people but then to his surprise he meets someone who he really falls in love with, and there are montages and flirting and laughing and they become close but it's all based on a lie so then suddenly she finds out the truth and he has to admit that he's a scumbag but then he publicly humiliates himself and proves to her that he really loves her and then... oh shit, what if in this one they got MARRIED AT THE END? Would that be ironic or what? The hunter becomes the huntress, or whatever.

But there was some good buzz on this one, some people saying it harkens to the glory days of raunchy R-rated comedy (what does that mean, Revenge of the Nerds 2?) and Entertainment Weekly did a big article a while back claiming it would be a huge sleeper hit. So maybe it's not what it appears? I do like Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn sometimes and the movie was free and I quit drinking a long time ago so what the hell, man, I went.

Turns out what this is is one of those generic romantic comedies where the protagonist lies and tricks people but then to his surprise he meets someone who he really falls in love with, and there are montages and flirting and laughing and they become close but it's all based on a lie so then suddenly she finds out the truth and he has to admit that he's a scumbag but then he publicly humiliates himself and proves to her that he really loves her and whatever else I said earlier.

There are basically two types of mainstream comedies: TYPE A, the ones that are all about laughs, not to be taken seriously on any level, basically a bunch of skits and jokes and riffs strung together just trying to get laughs (ANCHORMAN, the AUSTIN POWERS saga, etc.) You're not expected to care if Anchor Man finds true love or not, instead you get some shit about a talking bear or whatever. Then TYPE B is the ones where they put some jokes on top but the vast majority of the movie is a storyline about two people falling in love and you are actually supposed to give a shit about these people and be touched when things work out for them. Type B can be done well but it usually isn't and this is no exception.

Yes there's some funny lines here and there. Alot of the dialogue is probaly improvised. You know how Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson are when they improvise, they can be funny. You know. That's what I have to say that's nice. Good job on having a couple funny lines.

But this has all the usual bullshit that I hate about this type of movie. I mean not even the premise of the movie is believable. I don't buy the idea that these guys could or would want to go to weddings all the time and claim to be relatives without being found out almost every time. And if they could, I don't believe that they would get laid every time, or most of the time, or more than once. Or that there would be hot single women at all these weddings or that those women would ever see or talk to them.

The movie is smart enough to know that you can't do much more with this premise than a long montage at the beginning (basically the trailer plus 2 seconds of tits) but dumb enough to think we want to see the rest of the movie. Since you see early on that Owen feels guilty about being a lying womanizer, you know he's the one we're supposed to think is actually sensitive and sympathetic even though everything he does implies that he's a prick. The woman he falls in love with (some Jennifer Garner type [Rachel MacAdams]) is already engaged. So to make it acceptable her boyfriend is a total worthless asshole prick who bullies everybody, openly cheats on her and berates her in front of her family, who all still love him.

I guess THE WEDDING SINGER did the same thing, but that one had more appealing lead characters, way more laughs, and a more cartoonish tone. The bad guy boyfriend was a villain but at least they got a couple laughs out of it, like when he pulled up in a Delorean blasting the Miami Vice theme. This one's an asshole, but not funny. He's almost a super villain. He even finds out Owen and Vince's secret just by telling a private eye their fake names and fake jobs. I'm not sure how he looked that up exactly, maybe it's a new feature on google.

You know, WEDDING PLANNER will go between WEDDING CRASHERS and WEDDING SINGER in the comedy section at the video store, so it might act as sort of a buffer to prevent comparisons.

The movie is mediocre, it's not easy to hate, but the climax helps. If I had to pick my very least favorite type of scene to have in a movie, it would be the ones they always have at the climax of these types of movies, where the filmatists try to push the word CONTRIVED so far that it loses its meaning. You know, the scene where the lead has to confess their love and the audience has to pretend for 5 or 10 minutes that they've never seen humans before and have no idea how they behave. In this one, it's a scene where Owen Wilson rudely interupts his best friend's wedding vows to make a long speech to the woman who hates him, in front of the whole congregation. Everyone stays silent and listens to what he has to say, the woman and her family are spontaneously won over by his sincerity, the prick boyfriend is publicly outed, dumped and physically punished, and nobody seems offended or uncomfortable about this happening in the middle of somebody else's wedding.

I understand that this has somehow become an accepted form of storytelling, but I can't stand this type of shit. It feels like the movie is stabbing me and then slowly twisting the blade for the whole scene. And as a side note, I would like to mention that when a movie points out that it is following a cliche ("Would it be a cliche if I kissed you now?") IT IS STILL A GOD DAMN CLICHE. Even Kevin Williamson probaly knows this by now.

And don't buy that bullshit about it being a good old fashioned raunchy R-rated movie. This is a completely vanilla movie, the same old cutey pie horseshit where the good guys get laughs by doing something morally reprehensible but then instead of going with it the movie also wants to pretend that they are total sweetheart romantics. There are no surprises or pushing of the comedy envelope unless you count a weird bit where a gay guy is portrayed as a freaky hunchbacked Peter Lorre type who forces himself on straight men. Maybe the MTV Movie Awards will have a category for Best New Homophobic Stereotype. Otherwise I doubt we'll be hearing much about this movie after a couple weeks on video.

For me there were no big laughs. But I don't know, some people will probaly find it hilarious. If two sweethearts smiling at each other, giggling and playing cute handslap games on the beach is uproariously funny to you, you're gonna fuckin LOVE this one. And the scene where they ride bikes together! I mean, you will DIE. I'm not somebody that would bow at the altar of OLD SCHOOL but this is not even in that league, it's much blander, more like something your friend's girlfriend who you hate would claim is really good.

Wouldn't it be funny if Moriarty went and saw REBOUND or SKY HIGH or some crap, but he was so jacked up on the emotions of new fatherhood that he cried through the whole thing and came out convinced it was RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK for his son's generation? I think it would be funny but I bet it won't happen with this one. Even the Miracle of Life is not gonna make this one particularly memorable.

I forget what I was even talking about. so commence with the talkbacks. I'm first though.

thanks

Vern
Old 07-13-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I want to see this no matter what. I enjoyed Starsky and Hutch which most hated so I'm sure I'll enjoy this as well.
I'm also in the minority. I thought Starsky and Hutch was a very good comedy. I'll also be checking this one out.
Old 07-13-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fryinpan1
Two of comedy's hottest stars - Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson
A sad commentary on the state of movie comedy today.
Old 07-14-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
My wife and I saw it last night and both really enjoyed it, and by the sound of it, so did the rest of the people in attendance.
Old 07-14-05, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw another screening this evening as a lot of my friends wanted to go and I had the passes and they did not. The smart idea would've been to just give them the tickets and then haul ass out of there, but I had nothing better to do tonight... so I sat though it again...

Despite the fact that the theater was full (yet again), this time the theater was pretty much silent during a good majority of the movie. There was only one scene (involving a dinner table moment) that got huge laughter, but the rest of the theater was quiet with the exception of the occasional chuckles. It's odd to point out that yesterday's screening killed whereas tonight's screening pretty much bombed.

The film was much easier to take a second time, but it doesn't dismiss the fact that the film's still a failure bar none. The entire time I was in the theater I was asking myself why didn't I drag everyone to the screening of The Island in the theater next door. While a majority of my friends who I've dragged (nine) have enjoyed the film, I'm sure they would've enjoyed The Island more...
Old 07-14-05, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I saw another screening this evening as a lot of my friends wanted to go and I had the passes and they did not. The smart idea would've been to just give them the tickets and then haul ass out of there, but I had nothing better to do tonight... so I sat though it again...

Despite the fact that the theater was full (yet again), this time the theater was pretty much silent during a good majority of the movie. There was only one scene (involving a dinner table moment) that got huge laughter, but the rest of the theater was quiet with the exception of the occasional chuckles. It's odd to point out that yesterday's screening killed whereas tonight's screening pretty much bombed.

The film was much easier to take a second time, but it doesn't dismiss the fact that the film's still a failure bar none. The entire time I was in the theater I was asking myself why didn't I drag everyone to the screening of The Island in the theater next door. While a majority of my friends who I've dragged (nine) have enjoyed the film, I'm sure they would've enjoyed The Island more...
Demographics my friend you dont fit the demographics. I also assume your theater was full of older folks?
Old 07-14-05, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Catch 21
Demographics my friend you dont fit the demographics. I also assume your theater was full of older folks?
Oddly enough, both screenings I have attended had a large share of older folks. I would say that at both screenings, more than 50% of the audience were older than 40. At Tuesday's screening, there were more people in the age 18-25 demographic whereas on Wednesday's screening, there were more people in the age 26-35 demographic (the demographic in which I would assume the film would be more appealing to).
Old 07-14-05, 10:17 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'm also in the minority. I thought Starsky and Hutch was a very good comedy. I'll also be checking this one out.
Nope, I'm there with you. I though HUTCH was a blast.

CRASHERS is hilarious, but, as Chmiel wrote, only when it wants to be. McAdams shows off some major romantic comedy chops here too, and shouldn't be overshadowed in all the praise handed to the two leads.

But big laughs all around. With CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY coming together so well, this is a good weekend for big films.
Old 07-14-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Nope, I'm there with you. I though HUTCH was a blast.

CRASHERS is hilarious, but, as Chmiel wrote, only when it wants to be. McAdams shows off some major romantic comedy chops here too, and shouldn't be overshadowed in all the praise handed to the two leads.

But big laughs all around. With CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY coming together so well, this is a good weekend for big films.
I get shit from you for liking The Island while you liked Starsky & Hutch? What the hell is up with that buddy?!?!

I thought McAdams, like everyone else in the film (minus Vaughn), was vastly underused. When they gave her something to do, she did it well; but that was far and few between.

Big laughs all around? Did we see the same film? Because I remember the movie coming to an almost complete halt during it's final 25 minutes (which is a complete no-no in terms of making a comedy). I also don't think it was a great idea to giving Vaughn all the comedic material (and when the man shoots, he scores) whereas the true star of the film (Wilson) only gets laughs two or three times during the entire 120 minute running time.
Old 07-14-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I love Vince Vaughn's comedy, but is this movie worth seeing for him alone?
Old 07-14-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I love Vince Vaughn's comedy, but is this movie worth seeing for him alone?
Matinee? Yes. Evening? No.

Vaughn is at the top of his game in this film. Too bad that can't be said about anyone/anything else.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.