Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Criterion to release Kurosawa's Ran

Lemdog
04-01-05, 12:38 AM
From www.criterionco.com

Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha rides into stores

This week saw the release of Criterion's new DVD edition of Akira Kurosawa's epic Kagemusha, featuring exclusive new video interviews with filmmakers George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola, audio commentary by Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince, a 41 minute documentary on the making of the film, and much more. Kurosawa fans can also look forward to Criterion's upcoming edition of Ran, due out in late 2005 in a special edition which includes, among other features, an exclusive interview recently conducted in Tokyo with star Tatsuya Nakadai.

I just hope it's not an April Fool's joke.

Cameron
04-01-05, 12:45 AM
that would be welcome....passed on the masterworks edition because the transfer was so bad...althought that amazon exclusive box set looked cool.

natevines
04-01-05, 05:24 AM
The transfer isn't that bad on the Masterworks, Cameron. Next to the Fox Lorber, it's incredible.
But this still is good news. Maybe Criterion can get a hold of Madadayo and Dreams, too?

dx23
04-01-05, 06:27 AM
Maybe Criterion can get a hold of Madadayo and Dreams, too?

Well, WB has the rights for Dreams and they don't license to third parties, so that's a no, but Madadayo still an option, and it certainly need a new DVD transfer.

buckee1
04-01-05, 07:49 AM
That will make the third copy of Ran in my collection. The Masterworks disc looks good to me but the WB R2 so far looks the absolute best. I'm very glad to hear Criterion is going to do this. Madadayo would also be a treat should they add that to their schedule. I have the current disc and it could use a bit of the ol' spit and polish. I'm really happy with the R2 Dreams so, i'm not sure I'd get that just for the sake of having a Criterion banner across the top of the case.

bboisvert
04-01-05, 08:31 AM
That will make the third copy of Ran in my collection.

Ditto, unless this Criterion edition also makes one of my other discs obsolete (by including the extras from the R2 UK or Masterworks, for example). I think this will actually be the first time in the history of my collection that I have 3 separate DVD editions.

wendersfan
04-01-05, 08:33 AM
I don't mean this to be a threadcrap, but every time I see an announcement for a new Criterion Kurosawa release I can't help but think, "Well, that's one less Ozu, Mizoguchi, or Ichikawa they'll be releasing that month..."

Kurosawa's a fine director, but there are other (and better IMO) directors who are far too under-represented on DVD.

tofferman
04-01-05, 10:01 AM
That will make the third copy of Ran in my collection. The Masterworks disc looks good to me.

First I had the original release of RAN that was just awful. Then I sold that for the Masterworks Edition, which I think is a marked improvement in all areas. It is great to see Criterion planning on releasing RAN as well. Though premature, I'm curious if they have found new film elements. Additional extras would be certainly welcome as well. Seeing that the Masterworks version was "Criterion like" in price, I will await reviews before buying this version when released.

D.Zero
04-01-05, 10:34 AM
I don't mean this to be a threadcrap, but every time I see an announcement for a new Criterion Kurosawa release I can't help but think, "Well, that's one less Ozu, Mizoguchi, or Ichikawa they'll be releasing that month..."

Kurosawa's a fine director, but there are other (and better IMO) directors who are far too under-represented on DVD.
True but don't dog Criterion for putting out discs they know will sell and in turn, help finance the release of more Ozu, Mizoguchi & Ichikawa.

PopcornTreeCt
04-01-05, 10:45 AM

As a big time Kurosawa fan I must comment. I don't think your logic is the way it really works at Criterion. Criterion more than likely has the rights to nearly every Kurosawa film, as is not the case with Mizoguchi or Ichikawa. I have heard they plan on releasing something like 18 Ozu films though. I just think they release what they have.

Richard Malloy
04-01-05, 10:55 AM
Not sure I want to part with my R2 Warner Brothers "Ran", not because I doubt the Criterion transfer will be an improvement, but more because of the Chris Marker documentary on the second disc (which I love). Of course, this is precisely the sort of documentary that Criterion tends to include on their releases... hmmmm.

pro-bassoonist
04-01-05, 12:17 PM
Not sure I want to part with my R2 Warner Brothers "Ran", not because I doubt the Criterion transfer will be an improvement, but more because of the Chris Marker documentary on the second disc (which I love). Of course, this is precisely the sort of documentary that Criterion tends to include on their releases... hmmmm.

Very good point. I will wait and see some reviews before I let go of the Studio Canal version. And I mean a review other than DVDBEAVER's-as much as I respect Gary's work he often tends to get head over heals when it comes to (non-biased) reviews.

Ciao,
Pro-B

dick_grayson
04-01-05, 12:22 PM
that would be welcome....passed on the masterworks edition because the transfer was so bad...althought that amazon exclusive box set looked cool.

really? I just assumed that because it was the "masterworks" edition that it would be top notch. I'm glad I waited on it. :)

Doug Schiller
04-01-05, 12:42 PM
The Masterworks edition wasn't just bad, it was unwatchable.
One of the worst transfers to come out in the last few years.
They even had the nerve to include a restoration demo.
It looked like the Fox Lorber edition, with the brightness turned up, run through a 16x9 convertor.

I'll by the Criterion version in a heartbeat.

chente
04-01-05, 12:53 PM
First I had the original release of RAN that was just awful. Then I sold that for the Masterworks Edition, which I think is a marked improvement in all areas. It is great to see Criterion planning on releasing RAN as well. Though premature, I'm curious if they have found new film elements. Additional extras would be certainly welcome as well. Seeing that the Masterworks version was "Criterion like" in price, I will await reviews before buying this version when released.

Note that the Masterworks Ran disc is available via Columbia House so you can get it really cheap.

animatedude
04-01-05, 01:13 PM
god if they can only release a box set of all kurosawa movies they have the right to..

gutwrencher
04-01-05, 03:13 PM
passed on the masterworks edition because the transfer was so bad...althought that amazon exclusive box set looked cool.

I have the Amazon box and I'm happy to own it. If it comes to Criterion....nobody needs to twist my arm for a triple-dip. The current transfer may not be king...but it does not take away the enjoyment of watching the film. I mean Christ....just 10 years ago I didn't even own a fucking copy. I'm happy to have what I have until another comes along...simple.

Bill Needle
04-01-05, 03:19 PM
I have the Amazon box and I'm happy to own it. If it comes to Criterion....nobody needs to twist my arm for a triple-dip. The current transfer may not be king...but it does not take away the enjoyment of watching the film. I mean Christ....just 10 years ago I didn't even own a fucking copy. I'm happy to have what I have until another comes along...simple.
How dare you introduce perspective into this! :)

Richard Malloy
04-01-05, 03:19 PM
I have to disagree with you, gutwrencher. Though its defects are overstated by some, it's still a bad transfer, and if I'd paid $100 for that exclusive Amazon box (with the non-anamorphic Kurosawa docu, to boot), I'd have been livid.

Please, folks, if you can't wait for the Criterion, get the R2/PAL Warner Brothers release. It's so much better than Wellspring's.

gutwrencher
04-01-05, 03:57 PM
I have to disagree with you, gutwrencher.

I understand Richard...I know it's not great. I bought it when it was first released and at that time...I didn't even have a decent monitor, at least not a proper WS set. I still managed to enjoy the film....but look forward to getting the Criterion if and when it gets here. The upgrading of films to better editions is never ending!!

As for the import....I've been trying to stay away from pal discs of late. I'll wait and see what happens.

bboisvert
04-01-05, 04:35 PM
if I'd paid $100 for that exclusive Amazon box (with the non-anamorphic Kurosawa docu, to boot), I'd have been livid.

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have a clue why -- 2.5 years after release -- Amazon still has these in stock?

It really doesn't make much sense to me. It was limited to 5000 numbered copies and I know (from the Share The Love I received at the time) that a crapload of DVDTalkers ordered this...

I realize that the sets definitely weren't perfect and that Kurosawa won't be as big a seller as, say, Army of Darkness or some other limited numbered edition... but 5000 copies seemed very small to me at the time. I'm shocked that after all this time they still haven't sold out.

slop101
04-01-05, 05:59 PM
After being really disappointed with Wellspring's Masterworks edition (horrible transfer / blocky yellow subs - ugh.), I was this close to getting the R2. But if Criterion is doing it, I'll wait for that - I'm sure it'll be a massive 3-disc set that'll put every other edition to shame.

And as awesome as Criterion's Kagemusha was, I bet it was just a warm up for Ran, which I'm sure that (if they do it) they'll pull out all stops.

Cameron
04-01-05, 06:16 PM
I'm sure the box is great...I have had it in my cart no telling how many times....but the transfer just seems so washed out....and those yellow subs are nasty looking.

I just wonder if this will come out the same time that rumored 2-discer for seven samurai appears. I wish they would do some more Kurosawa box sets...make things easier on the wallet

rossbrew
04-01-05, 06:42 PM
Come on Wendersfan- do you realize that you're actually sounding disappointed in a criterion Ran...? Holy Shnikey....!

sabby
04-02-05, 02:36 AM
No 'Ran' from Criterion, it seems. The news on Criterion's own site disappeared as April Fool's Day passed us.

LorenzoL
04-02-05, 05:12 AM
No 'Ran' from Criterion, it seems. The news on Criterion's own site disappeared as April Fool's Day passed us.

If this was Criterion's idea of a April Fools Day joke, it was a really bad one IMO.

Chris777
04-02-05, 05:32 AM
pretty ****ing funny, anyway i really hope they release this and boy if they aren't messing, well i guess .................................................... that means no more criterion for me (for a while)

naitram
04-02-05, 10:19 AM
I knew this had to be a joke. My most anticipated Criterion, I guess I'll keep waiting. -ohbfrank-

Fielding Mellish
04-02-05, 10:24 AM
So, how many people panic-sold their Wellspring editions over the last 24 hours? I know I consdered it.

rotfl

kingtopher
04-02-05, 10:33 AM
That's pretty stupid, especially since the news was first put up on the night of the 31st. Screw you, Criterion.

wendersfan
04-02-05, 10:37 AM
Someone posited the theory that it wasn't 'really' a joke, but that Wellspring objected to the early announcement (since their version i still in print) so Criterion took it down. Sounds plausible, but I don't know.

littlefuzzy
04-02-05, 11:07 AM
Has Criterion really pulled any April Fool's jokes before?

For those who follow the video game forum, it was announced in the April EGM that Nintendo would include a graphically updated "mature" version of Zelda: Windwaker for people who pre-ordered the new Zelda game. - For those who don't know, this has been all but proven to be their April Fool's joke...

The magazine had a history of April Fool's jokes, and that was something that was kind of off the wall...

Since Criterion has released many Kurosawa films in the past, it seems very plausible that they would be trying to acquire the rights to Ran, as well.

LorenzoL
04-02-05, 11:38 AM
Has Criterion really pulled any April Fool's jokes before?

For those who follow the video game forum, it was announced in the April EGM that Nintendo would include a graphically updated "mature" version of Zelda: Windwaker for people who pre-ordered the new Zelda game. - For those who don't know, this has been all but proven to be their April Fool's joke...

The magazine had a history of April Fool's jokes, and that was something that was kind of off the wall...

Since Criterion has released many Kurosawa films in the past, it seems very plausible that they would be trying to acquire the rights to Ran, as well.

That's why I would find it in bad taste if this was an April Fools prank since they just released a wonderful version of Kurosawa's Kagemusha.

I sincerely hope what Wendersfan indicated is the reason why the announcement is no longer on their website and that the possible release of this movie comes to fruition.

Lemdog
04-02-05, 02:13 PM
Criterion would most likely get in legal trouble if they announced a title they didn't have the rights to. So I doubt it was a April fools joke.

buckee1
04-02-05, 04:06 PM
OK, This really sucks. I was really looking forward to this title. I guess My R2 WB disc will have to suffice until they make a "real" announcement.

PopcornTreeCt
04-02-05, 04:45 PM
Props to Criterion for having a sense of humor.

gutwrencher
04-02-05, 04:54 PM
I just can't believe that they would be that stupid...really. If thats the title they chose to joke about....then they really would be idiots. I don't even know hoodrats that are that ignorant.:D

Bill Needle
04-02-05, 05:10 PM
That's why I would find it in bad taste if this was an April Fools prank since they just released a wonderful version of Kurosawa's Kagemusha.

I sincerely hope what Wendersfan indicated is the reason why the announcement is no longer on their website and that the possible release of this movie comes to fruition.
I don't find it so much in bad taste, but utterly not funny. I don't see any possible source of humor or pranksterism to draw on in this.

Criterion: We are announcing the coming release of Kurosawa'a Ran.
Response: Oh, that's nice.

Criterion: No, we're not really! April Fools!
Response: What? -confused- Uhm...OK. Ha-ha, I guess. -screwy-

PopcornTreeCt
04-02-05, 09:28 PM
I don't find it so much in bad taste, but utterly not funny. I don't see any possible source of humor or pranksterism to draw on in this.

Criterion: We are announcing the coming release of Kurosawa'a Ran.
Response: Oh, that's nice.

Criterion: No, we're not really! April Fools!
Response: What? -confused- Uhm...OK. Ha-ha, I guess. -screwy-

Actually if you read the responses, they were a little more than just "Oh that's nice"

Jepthah
04-04-05, 01:50 PM
:mad:

billy9215
04-04-05, 02:02 PM
The announcement is back up on Criterion's home page...so it seems it was a joke and then not a joke..

Life goes on.

Giles
04-04-05, 02:06 PM
The announcement is back up on Criterion's home page...so it seems it was a joke and then not a joke..

Life goes on.

so it is.... sneaky bastards.

talemyn
04-04-05, 02:36 PM
Maybe they put it up on the 1st and then realized what day it was so they took it down so that people wouldn't think it was an April Fools Day joke? And now that it's over they're put it back up?

kingtopher
04-04-05, 02:49 PM
That's pretty stupid, especially since the news was first put up on the night of the 31st. Screw you, Criterion.

I take it back. Criterion, you no longer have any obligation to do anything to yourselves other than patting yourselves on the back.

naitram
04-04-05, 05:12 PM
It is indeed still there, so let me officially say hell ya. :hump:

Cameron
04-04-05, 06:22 PM
good news...glad they don't have a sense of humor

jmj713
04-04-05, 06:57 PM
I can only imagine what kind of freaky orgasm-inducing cover they'll come up with...

pigmode
04-04-05, 07:29 PM
I can only imagine what kind of freaky orgasm-inducing cover they'll come up with...

Okay, this is getting a little strange. OTOH, you just gotta love Lady Kaede's psychotic laugh.

L.A.
04-05-05, 03:08 AM
What was wrong with this dvd release?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000065BW7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's the one I bought.

Richard Malloy
04-05-05, 08:31 AM
What was wrong with this dvd release?
Very poor, shimmering, artifact-ridden transfer on "Ran", no anamorphic enhancement on the documentary (which was shot 1.78:1), and a less than ideal transfer on "Madadayo".

All that, plus it cost $100.

SFranke
04-05-05, 08:40 AM
Very poor, shimmering, artifact-ridden transfer on "Ran", no anamorphic enhancement on the documentary (which was shot 1.78:1), and a less than ideal transfer on "Madadayo".

And Criterion isn't written on the box.

talemyn
04-05-05, 09:24 AM

All that, plus it cost $100.But, besides that, what's wrong with it? ;)

slop101
04-05-05, 09:59 AM
But, besides that, what's wrong with it? ;)

You want more? How about ugly yellow subtitles in a horrible blocky font?

Richard Malloy
04-05-05, 10:55 AM
And Criterion isn't written on the box.
Criterion wouldn't put their name on a release this shoddy, the very epitome of all-icing-no-cake. And despite Criterion's premium price point, they've never charged anywhere near $100 for a 3-DVD set.

If you really believe this is about branding, you have no clue.

eau
04-05-05, 11:44 AM

And no spine number ;)

naitram
04-05-05, 12:18 PM
And no spine number ;)

That's joke's even funnier after the 1000th time. :rolleyes:

Maybe people should actually check out the quality of the current version of Ran that's out there before turning this into your little "I'm too cool for Criterion" commentary piece.

God this place is tired sometimes. -ohbfrank-

Cameron
04-05-05, 12:20 PM
but the box is cool

SFranke
04-05-05, 12:24 PM
Criterion wouldn't put their name on a release this shoddy, the very epitome of all-icing-no-cake. And despite Criterion's premium price point, they've never charged anywhere near $100 for a 3-DVD set.

If you really believe this is about branding, you have no clue.
Relax. It was a joke. There's no need to flip out here, Richard "The Ninja" Malloy.

talemyn
04-05-05, 12:58 PM
You want more? How about ugly yellow subtitles in a horrible blocky font?Not enough! More! More!! MORE!!! :banana:

slop101
04-05-05, 01:38 PM
-Forced/unskippable intro
-Lame menus
-Shoddy audio

It just keeps going!
:banana:

L.A.
04-05-05, 05:39 PM
Wow. I got it for $24.99

unclehulot
04-05-05, 07:39 PM
What else is wrong with the Wellspring? If Criterion includes Chris Marker's "A.K.", that is something else wrong with it, since it probably won't be available seperately. Meanwhile I enjoy the excellent R4 Australian release that does include it.

So, I've already sold my Wellspring Masterworks version, because it sucked from day one. At least I wasn't suckered in to that stupid "limited edition" piece of crap from Amazon (which is SO limited, that it is still available to suckers worldwide!)

Sure wish I hadn't sold my Criterion LD of "Tales of Hoffman" when they announced THAT title on DVD..... 3 years ago!!!

Cameron
08-23-05, 10:39 PM
well this sucker just picked up that amazon exclusive set. I got it on ebay for around ten bucks. The box is pretty cool by itself even if the transfers on the dvd aren't so hot.

so now that i finally caved i expect criterion to make an announcement this week.

GHackmann
08-23-05, 10:48 PM
so now that i finally caved i expect criterion to make an announcement this week.
Close enough. (http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435222)

Now then, if you wouldn't mind buying the LE Blade Runner set . . .

Cameron
08-23-05, 10:50 PM
thats classic....I love it. Same day its on my step someone starts a thread with an announcement. I may just pick up that blade runner disc tommorow for good measure.

Sondheim
08-23-05, 10:57 PM
thats classic....I love it. Same day its on my step someone starts a thread with an announcement. I may just pick up that blade runner disc tommorow for good measure.

Please do.

Gerry P.
08-24-05, 02:41 AM
thats classic....I love it. Same day its on my step someone starts a thread with an announcement. I may just pick up that blade runner disc tommorow for good measure.Well... since the Ran-Criterion speculation has been going on since March, you only have yourself to blame. :)

Cameron
08-24-05, 02:43 AM
no...i don't feel bad about it really...i payed like ten bucks...and the poster, photos, and quad foldout are worth that without the dvds. Madayo cost about the same at most places, so no big deal.

I just think its funny that the day it arrives in the mail, the announcement gets made.

Cameron
08-30-05, 04:15 AM
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers/rancriteriondvd.jpg

talemyn
08-30-05, 09:58 AM
Nice cover. :up:

steebo777
08-30-05, 10:20 AM
I'm on this for sure. I just have to get rid of my Masterworks Edition now :)

Cameron
09-01-05, 02:44 AM
From Davis Dvd

Due on November 22nd

Also due on the 22nd is director Akira Kurosawa's masterpiece Ran which arrives as a two-disc edition with a newly-restored transfer, Chris Marker's 74-minute documentary on Kurosawa's craft in making the film, an introduction by filmmaker Sidney Lumet, a half-hour Toho documentary on the making of the film, a half-hour video piece reconstructing the film through Kurosawa's paintings and sketches, a new interview with star Tatsuya Nakadai and more. Retail is $39.95 apiece.

mattressman
09-01-05, 04:33 AM
HOLY CRAP. that cover is awesome. ive been dying for a new transfer of this beloved film. i think i pooped myself.

DVD King
09-01-05, 09:26 AM
That is a sweet cover. Can't wait.

Scorpio
09-03-05, 01:46 AM
Finally!

kms_md
09-03-05, 09:35 AM
yes!!

theWitcher
06-23-07, 04:38 PM
Does anyone know if this Criterion release of Ran is mislabeled? Or is my receiver's PLII mode decoding the track incorrectly?

The back just notes a STEREO track, but there is quite a bit of surround activity happening, particularly with the score.

Most of the reviews appear to take the packaging at its word; I think the only one linked at DVD Basen that mentions a surround track is DVD Journal's review.

Other Criterion Collection DVDs with DD 2.0 tracks mention SURROUND when applicable (including Brazil, Naked Lunch and Do The Right Thing.)

I want to do the right thing myself. Should I force the receiver to play it in STEREO?

I'm frequently bothered by the stupidest things.

Gerry P.
06-24-07, 12:38 AM
Does anyone know if this Criterion release of Ran is mislabeled? Or is my receiver's PLII mode decoding the track incorrectly?

The back just notes a STEREO track, but there is quite a bit of surround activity happening, particularly with the score.With Dolby PLII your a/v rcvr creates a 5.1 soundtrack out of a stereo source. It is fake surround sound you are hearing, not the real thing.

jsz1002
06-24-07, 06:42 PM
I can confirm the "fake" surround on my copy as well.

manicsounds
06-25-07, 01:19 AM
My receiver it defaults to 2.0 Stereo, NOT surround.
compare to Brazil or Do The Right Thing, they both default to 2.0 surround