Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Pariah - under the radar Xbox title?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-05, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pariah - under the radar Xbox title?

I must be out of it... I didn't even know Pariah was going to be an Xbox title until someone told me about it last week. I thought it was only going to be pc. Anyhow, is anyone here going to be getting it? It's by Digital Extremes (of Unreal fame) and it will have mapmaking (like TimeSplitters: FP) with maps you can share online. Looks pretty cool, but before I buy it, I'm trying to figure out if anybody I know will be playing?

So...anyone interested?

If you're looking for some good videos of it in action, check out
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=897

Homepage is www.pariahgame.com
Old 04-01-05, 01:27 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been keeping my eye on this game for some time. It looks pretty impressive and so far from what i've seen it doesn't come off as "just another FPS", which will be a key to success. I got a kick out of the second official trailer that was just released, some funny bits in it.
Old 04-01-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm always interested in another FPS for XBOX....we'll see how this game turns out. TimeSplitters and the mapmaker are working pretty good
Old 04-01-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Could be interesting. As my gaming time increases I find that me and FPSs don't mix too well. When kicking ass, I prefer to be in the third person. Not sure why, but these kinds of games just never clicked with me, even GoldenEye.
Old 04-02-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
I don't know the "history" behind Pariah but I did see enough of the demo on Gamespot Live to give it a look.This might fall in the sleeper category. Another one though coming up shortly for Half Life fans is "Area 51". I'm waiting to hear more about levels and overall length of gameplay first on both before jumping in. Right now my sights are on "Unreal Championship 2".

Kenny J
Old 04-03-05, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that looks like a game rental for sure and a buy if it is any good
Old 04-03-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

EGM has a review for it in next months issue (May 3 on sale). The one thing this game has is a 'Map Editor" and from what I've heard and read it works very well. Not only you can change the landscape but you control trip mines, vehicles and fortress. Also up to (16) players at once so that's a plus. There's also four different vehicles to ride. It might sound like another FPS but just the thought of a Map Editor included has this game looking like a hit.

Kenny J.
Old 04-05-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Check out TeamXbox for some of the latest on this game. Any Halo fan will want this and for certain any shoot'em up fan as well. Don't have enough players for online? Well just enlist the bots! They really brag about the "Map Editor"! There's some new screen shots that just...well take a look for yourself.

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox/965/pariah/p1/

Another game to take a serious look at and online don't sound bad.

Kenny J.

***The above link should work now.

Last edited by K&AJones; 04-06-05 at 08:24 PM. Reason: wrong link given
Old 05-03-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, bump....anyone pick it up today?
Old 05-03-05, 02:16 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was hoping to, but there weren't any in stores around where I live yet...hopefully tomorrow...then I will post my impressions....it has been getting between 7s and 8s on most online review sites. I am a big FPS fan so I will more than likely enjoy it.

wlj
Old 05-04-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm looking to pick this up for my PC but will wait for some user reviews first.
Old 05-04-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by wlj
i was hoping to, but there weren't any in stores around where I live yet...hopefully tomorrow...then I will post my impressions....it has been getting between 7s and 8s on most online review sites. I am a big FPS fan so I will more than likely enjoy it.

wlj
I almost picked it up yesterday, but read some reviews first. 7s and 8s are good, but I have to go with IGNs review. They say there is no weapon balance. You get the grenade launcher early in the game and once you do, you won't go back to the guns. Enemies die pretty easily from shots across the board, making for very little close combat.

Ahhh, I guess this is another one to add to my price drop list.
Old 05-04-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, hopefully my GameRush has it today (they only had rentals yesterday). I ordered it with their pre-order deal, so if I don't like it....I'll trade it back. It seems promising....we'll see.
Old 05-04-05, 09:12 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am gonna get it today at Sam Goody if they have it...I like the demo...so I should like the game.

wlj
Old 05-04-05, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Well, hopefully my GameRush has it today (they only had rentals yesterday). I ordered it with their pre-order deal, so if I don't like it....I'll trade it back. It seems promising....we'll see.
I didn't realize this. Is it a GameRush policy that if you open a game and try it, you can return it? Exchange only?
Old 05-04-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Centurion
I didn't realize this. Is it a GameRush policy that if you open a game and try it, you can return it? Exchange only?
No, sorry...but they have the BEST trade value. I pre-ordered it for $30 (with trade 2 deal), so more than likely the trade value would be $30-$35.

I've heard some MIGHT take an opened game back the next day...but that is REALLY a YMMV
Old 05-04-05, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
No, sorry...but they have the BEST trade value. I pre-ordered it for $30 (with trade 2 deal), so more than likely the trade value would be $30-$35.

I've heard some MIGHT take an opened game back the next day...but that is REALLY a YMMV
Got it.
The only problem I see there is, after you've returned the game, you're given $30-$35 in cash but are down the two games you had to trade in. Kind of like you just did an expensive rental of the new game.
Old 05-04-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got it.
The only problem I see there is, after you've returned the game, you're given $30-$35 in cash but are down the two games you had to trade in. Kind of like you just did an expensive rental of the new game.
Not if you pick up two $3 game to trade in....it's a great way to get credit at GameRush (also, they only give you CREDIT back, not cash)

Believe me, GameRush is great....I have accumulated $150 in credit there, plus have got a 2nd XBOX and probably 10 games and eight more preorders. This is without spending very much of my own money....just keep recycling games.
Old 05-04-05, 11:08 AM

They ARE pretty good with trading in old games.
I did a trade-in yesterday, as a matter of fact, to preorder Forza on Xbox.

The guy scanned the 8 games I brought in and took the two cheapest towards the trade-in:
Turok Evolution $1
Aggressive In-line $3

Because I traded in 6 others, there was an additional $5 added to EACH of these games as well.
I think the guy said that you have to trade 5 or more to qualify for this.

Edited to add:
Almost forgot...the fact is, you're still down the two games you traded in. I mean, you can continue doing this, and soon enough you'll run out of games to trade in and be left with nothing.

Last edited by Centurion; 05-04-05 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-04-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They ARE pretty good with trading in old games.
I did a trade-in yesterday, as a matter of fact, to preorder Forza on Xbox.

The guy scanned the 8 games I brought in and took the two cheapest towards the trade-in:
Turok Evolution $1
Aggressive In-line $3

Because I traded in 6 others, there was an additional $5 added to EACH of these games as well.
I think the guy said that you have to trade 5 or more to qualify for this.
It's 3 or more games....some GameRush combine the deals also (mine does not though)

They always have NEW deals there....

Anyways...back to Pariah now, hopefully I can pick it up today
Old 05-04-05, 11:15 AM

I read somewhere (TeamXbox.com perhaps ???) that there is bots in the Multiplayer mode of the game if you need more players on Live.
I hope the bots can be accessed for offline play too.
Old 05-04-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, IGN stated that there are BOTS in the game....that's a neat feature. I know TimeSplitters: Future Perfect had bots also....they are decent too. Makes replay that much better...especially with MapMaker for each game.

Pariah's mapmaker looks "easier" to use....we'll see when I get it. I really did not like TimeSplitters MapMaker much....tended to be a bit tedious when using a controller and figuring things out.
Old 05-04-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I broke down and got the OXM demo today since it also has Doom3, video of Black Hawk Down, SW; Revenge of the Sith, and a game called Darkwatch.

It was hard just to pass judgement on this for a short demo but it seemed to be pretty good. By using the Unreal engine the landscape design really looked astounding. The weapon layout was good with the Grenade Launcher with remote was really cool. The explosions were good with bodies flying in the air. Movement was about right and the sound was above normal with little effects like leaves and birds in the background. It's a shame though that you're not able to test the "Map Editor". From what I've read what you see in the demo is what you'll get after you design you're on map.

I just glanced at some sites and here's the reviews from the folllowing...

Gamespot...5.9
Gamespot Community...8.8
IGN...8/10
Teamxbox...8.2/10
Totalgames.net (UK)...91/100
EGM...7.5/10

Kenny J. - Buzz
Old 05-04-05, 09:58 PM
Retired

EGMs was techically a 9.0, 6.5, 6.5. The lower scores mainly sighted terrible enemy AI.

The high scorer said they were too harsh and expecting it to be Halo. I see nothing wrong with that, I only purchase the cream of the crop games in each genre, so I want every game compared against the best that genre has to offer.
Old 05-05-05, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I picked it up yesterday....pretty decent game.

Single player seems really fun
- Nice large outdoor environments
- Weapons are nice....upgrades are unique
- Graphics are GREAT
- AI seems decent, even at the easy level
- Vehicles are ok, controls are a little odd for those

I played multiplayer for a bit...just death match. Seemed ok, I didn't like how everyone could pick what weapon set you wanted from the beginning. For example, most people will chose grenades and something else. I wish it was more Halo 2ish where you had to FIND and pick up weapons.

Did not try Map Maker yet

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.