TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Apprentice - 3/31 - Pizza Task

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
The Apprentice - 3/31 - Pizza Task

It's down to 7 candidates.

THE HEAT is on, and not only in the pizza kitchen, as presented in tonight's task,

but also among the players:

Craig vs. Kendra

Chris vs. Alex and...virtually everone else.

Tonight, Chris' anger goes THROUGH THE ROOF!

Discuss who gets fired.
Old 03-31-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've been in that lower level of Trump Tower a few times. I remember when it used to be a Sbarro Italian Place.

There's a small Tower Records down there as well.
Old 03-31-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Eh, much adon't about nothing tonight. Ho-hum...
Old 03-31-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I missed the show tonight for the 1st time this season.....can someone give a recap?
Old 03-31-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They can develop a pizza for Domino's using any topping not already used and they both choose meatballs? Yawn.

I was hoping they'd bust out with some sun-dried tomatoes or something creative.
Old 03-31-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Who the hell wants meatballs on their pizza?

Trump's pad is so gaudy and devoid of taste.
Old 03-31-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Customers of Pizza Papa John's?

Best moment of tonight's episode:
Spoiler:
When Alex and Chris "double teamed" Stephanie in the boardroom. It's nice to see one of the most unlikeable contestants on the show to finally get fired.
Old 03-31-05, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Patman

Trump's pad is so gaudy and devoid of taste.

Actually, I had a Papa Johns spicy meatball pizza tonight after the show...

To my defense though, I planned on ordering it before the show aired, but I couldn't find my phone.
Old 04-01-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jpdude
I missed the show tonight for the 1st time this season.....can someone give a recap?
there are always recaps on NBC.com. CNBC airs reruns of the show a lot so check your CNBC TV Schedule.
Old 04-01-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Trump says that they need to create a new pizza with new toppings, like meatballs. Then both teams end up making meatball pizzas. I couldn't help but think about the Love Day episode on the Simpsons ("Trash of the Titans"). The greeting card boss tells the employees that they need a new holiday, something like "Love Day," only not so lame. The employees then create "Love Day"
Old 04-01-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.freep.com/money/business/...e_20050401.htm

SUSAN TOMPOR: The Donald serves up Domino's

Trump debuts as pitchman for Michigan-based pizza giant
April 1, 2005

BY SUSAN TOMPOR
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

Domino's Pizza's special guest-starring role on Thursday night's "The Apprentice" came with a surprise topping: Donald Trump's debut as its pitchman.

In a telephone interview earlier Thursday, the flashy billionaire talked up the new relationship: He called Ann Arbor based Domino's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer David Brandon "an amazing guy," he told me he loved Domino's Pizza, and, yes, he even talked about his new haircut.

At the beginning of the show, we saw Trump advertise Domino's 555 Deal -- three medium one-topping pizzas for $5 each.

Then, after watching the two teams create a new Domino's pizza, we got another surprise. We saw Trump star in a new Domino's commercial for the new American Classic Cheeseburger Pizza.

It's the first Trump commercial connected to an "Apprentice" episode that will air at times the show isn't on. Get ready to see Trump hawk cheeseburger pizzas for the next few weeks.

Domino's Pizza Inc., Michigan's biggest pizza delivery guys, bought a starring role on NBC's hit reality-TV show Thursday night.

Now they also have a pitchman who, by the way, a decade ago pitched Pizza Hut's Stuffed Crust Pizza with his then-wife, Ivana. But hey, new wife, new life, new pizza.

Sure, just watching "The Apprentice" has turned into one great big infomercial for assorted corporate guests. This season, the two teams -- Net Worth and Magna -- have been challenged with coming up with advertising programs or new products for big brand names, including Domino's, Burger King and Dove.

And Trump always says amazing things about the company, the CEO or their great new product.

Corporate cheeses like Trump and NBC's "The Apprentice," too.

" 'The Apprentice' is one of those happening shows right now," said Brandon, the CEO.

Brandon, who met Trump during the shooting, found him to be a "perfectly normal business guy."

Trump was friendly. He asked Brandon about the pizza business. He thanked Brandon for coming to the set.

"The minute they said 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, the camera's on. He almost adopted this whole other persona. He got this very tough, aggressive look on his face," Brandon said.

"It's all part of the hype of the show. He's smart enough to understand that."

As part of the local hype, Brandon held his own viewing party Thursday night at his Ann Arbor home for "The Apprentice." For snacks? What else? Guests were treated to the American Classic Cheeseburger Pizza. It was tasty.

Domino's made the pitch to be part of the show a year ago.

Holly Ryan, Domino's public relations manager, had suggested that Brandon write a letter to Trump. Ryan recognized the show as a pop-culture hit, but she and Brandon were skeptical about their chances.

"We figured there was a 1-in-100 chance we'd ever hear back," she said.

Brandon declined to say how much Domino's was paying to be part of the show, but he was pleased that Trump did the two ads, noting that Trump is one of the 10 hottest properties in advertising.

For the show, the two teams had to create a new pizza for Domino's.

And Trump deadpanned: "I love meatballs on my pizza."

The guests, including people from Domino's marketing and public relations staff, laughed regularly when "The Apprentice" candidates would make mistakes, such as being unable to slide a pizza onto the cutting table. At one point while the teams were having time juggling orders, Brandon shouted at the TV and laughed, "Looks easy, doesn't it?"

As for the meatballs, Trump didn't quite get his way, even if he still sort of thinks he did. We won't see meatball pizzas on the menu for Domino's soon -- if ever.

After years in the pizza business, Domino's marketing folks say that meatball pizzas don't go over well with most of the public.

So Domino's is doing its own pizza. The American Classic Cheeseburger Pizza -- $9.99 plus a second one-topping medium for $5 more in a limited-time offer -- features beef, a mix of American, provolone and cheddar cheeses, with a top layer of onions, bacon and tomatoes.

But make no mistake, Trump's talking up Domino's. So we talked to Trump, who was at his New York office, by phone Thursday morning, before the show.

Question: You're sporting a new haircut? Gotta ask you about that.

Answer: "Well, I did have it cut a little bit shorter. I wouldn't say new. But it is a little bit shorter."

Q: What do you think about Domino's pizza?

A: "I love the Domino's product."

Q: And have you tasted the new pizza?

A: "Many times. You know why I tasted it so much?"

Q: No.

A: "Because I did a commercial for them. And in every take, they did it 15 different ways, and in every take I took a big chunk out of a piece of pizza with the meatballs. And it was great. I almost didn't mind doing the commercial for that reason."

Q: So this pizza does have meatballs on it?

A: "The one that they made is the one that we're doing." (Not quite, according to Domino's. But then again, maybe Trump was trying to trick us before the show.)

Q: So is this the first time you've done a commercial connected to the show?

A: "Yes. And that's because Domino's has been such a terrific group to work with. They were totally professional. The chairman is an amazing guy. He's done an amazing job with the company. And I felt I should do it."

Q: How much are they paying you?

A: "Not very much. Well, you know they're very much involved with the show, so that's the primary motive."

Q: We're told that companies pay $2.5 million to $3 million to be part of the show. Is that about right?

A: "You know, it's funny. I get about $5 million to do a commercial, just unrelated to the show. And people will pay, they will pay quite a bit to be involved with the show because of the tremendous ratings that the show has. You know it's the hottest show on television."

Q: Any problems with having done the Pizza Hut commercial, and now Domino's?

A: "Well, Pizza Hut was many years ago."

Q: Any other thoughts about Domino's CEO Brandon?

A: "I think he's an amazing guy. He's an amazing leader. And everybody in that company that I've worked with loves him. And with that I have to go, hon, because I have to get on a plane."

Sure, it was probably his plane. But who would dare to tell Trump that his plane can wait? Or that he needs a haircut?

Old 04-01-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Alex is so obviously the next Apprentice. Right in the same mold as the past 2 winners.
Old 04-01-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Timber
Alex is so obviously the next Apprentice. Right in the same mold as the past 2 winners.
He is kind of a prick though. I don't blame Chris for telling him to get the fuck out of his face, Alex wasn't doing anything.
Old 04-01-05, 11:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I agree 100%.
Old 04-01-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
that is the problem. Trump was practically begging for a woman/minority winner last season. I think he was close to picking Jennifer but the crowd was entirely hostile to that and Trump buckled. In interviews, he has said that he looks forward to selecting a female winner. I really cannot see him picking a bland but successful white male three straight times in a row. Still, the pickings are slim. If I had to wager, I think he would pick the MILF - Tanna or whatever her name is.
Old 04-01-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by chowderhead
that is the problem. Trump was practically begging for a woman/minority winner last season. I think he was close to picking Jennifer but the crowd was entirely hostile to that and Trump buckled. In interviews, he has said that he looks forward to selecting a female winner. I really cannot see him picking a bland but successful white male three straight times in a row. Still, the pickings are slim. If I had to wager, I think he would pick the MILF - Tanna or whatever her name is.
Oh I realise it's a problem and I'm not happy about it but out of the remaining 7 is there another serious choice? Bren maybe?

Tanna sells Mary Kay. However sucessfull she may be at that I can't see him hiring a Mary Kay saleslady.
Old 04-01-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I predict the final four to be:

Tana, Alex, Kendra, and Bren.

And the final two:

Alex and Kendra, with

Kendra becoming the new Apprentice.
Old 04-01-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
I predict the final four to be:

Tana, Alex, Kendra, and Bren.

And the final two:

Alex and Kendra, with

Kendra becoming the new Apprentice.

oh ... I forgot about Kendra. I thought there were more females left besides angie and Tanna. I get her and the woman fired last night confused as they look somewhat similar. Kendra has been flying below the radars a bit but I just googled her and she is in real estate. So I think you could be right and I take back my earlier statement about Tanna.
Old 04-01-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Donald Trump on his new haircut:

"This is a fifteen dollar haircut from Mike on 57th Street. Mike is one of the finest barbers in the entire world. The hair care industry grossed an amazing ninety-four billion dollars last year."
Old 04-01-05, 01:40 PM

meh - Erin's gone...no reason to watch.
Old 04-01-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1. I'd really like to see someone beat the piss out of that Chris dude. What a psycho ass.

2. Meatballs are great on pizza. But unlike the clowns on the show, most italian pizza places slice or quarter the meatballs first. (duh)

meh - Erin's gone...no reason to watch.
Annoying as hell but I was hoping to get at least one look at her in a bikini.
Old 04-01-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
He is kind of a prick though. I don't blame Chris for telling him to get the fuck out of his face, Alex wasn't doing anything.
Nah, someone needs to stand up to the psycho ass.
Old 04-01-05, 02:23 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by CRM114
1. I'd really like to see someone beat the piss out of that Chris dude. What a psycho ass.

2. Meatballs are great on pizza. But unlike the clowns on the show, most italian pizza places slice or quarter the meatballs first. (duh)

Annoying as hell but I was hoping to get at least one look at her in a bikini.

On all counts.
Old 04-01-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
I stopped watching Apprentice after last season, but I caught some of this when I was over at my sister's.

Real original thinking by the teams on the meatball topping. Someone mentioned the Simpsons reference above. I thought of the Simpsons where they rolled out the Poochie character on I&S. Roger Meyers directs his writers to think of a name for character, something along the line of say... Poochie, only more proactive. He leaves the room and the writers immediately decide to go with the name Poochie.

The other thing that came to mind - what New Yorker in their right mind would eat Domino's Pizza with all the great pizza joints that are there?
Old 04-01-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The funniest part of the whole show this year is Trump and Co. riding the psycho on his chewing tobacco habit.

No one harps on the bowtie guy about smoking though. (And is there anyone truly successful in business that wears a bowtie - I mean in 2005?)

BTW, Erin is from Philly and has a website.

Yeah baby.

Last edited by CRM114; 04-01-05 at 02:30 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.