Reload this Page >

Rodriguez talks Sin City DVD...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-31-05, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

part 2 of a 2 part press conference

Robert, can you talk about what will be on the DVD?

Rodriguez: We shot the full stories of the books, and I knew we could truncate it down, knowing that we weren't going to lose any scenes; eventually they would all be available for people to see. So the DVD will come out with the theatrical cut, and then there'll be a separate disc that's got the individual episodes separated with their own title card, and you can just watch The Big Fat Kill from beginning to end, the full cut. That's a single story. Then switch over and watch The Yellow Bastard and that's forty five minutes. It'll have all the material back in. So it'll be like the experience of picking up the book, where you pick up one story and you read it from beginning to end. And it'll have all the material in it. You can have, you know, shuffle your own version of the movie and just watch them all separately.

It's not going to feel like, when you watch the separate disc with these materials back in, like, “Oh, I can see why that was cut.” It's a really terrific themed action scene. A lot of the stuff that people will find…I think it's going to be somewhat revolutionary to see those kind of scenes that were cut out, be put back in another format because they seem perfectly fine and they work, they just needed to be taken out for the long haul of the feature. I think it really gives another life and another experience, more akin to reading the books by doing that. That's what makes it easy for us to say, “Let's just shoot everything with a variety of effects, and then if we edit stuff out, we're not really cutting it out and people are never going to see it, they'll be able to see it in a purer form, in a different format.”

And then I'm gonna add on another…it'll be a twenty minute film school, probably for this one, cause there's so many things that - and I want another ten minute cooking school to be “Sin City Breakfast Tacos,” which I'll make a home-made flour tortilla, and it's the best meal you can probably ever learn, so yeah.

also, in reference to Quentin Tarantino directing a scene:

Rodriguez: ...People are going to learn a lot from seeing that. I’m going to put that on the DVD. An uninterrupted 16 minutes and you see pieces that we used and you see a lot in between with Quentin coming in and being like, “No, I think we should do it like this.” Effects guys coming in and fixing your neck.
Old 03-31-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seperating the stories seems like a great idea. As a long-time fan of the book, it'll be nice to see each story stand on its own.
Old 03-31-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

awesome....all of rodriguez's dvd's have been good stuff. Great commentaries, and ten minute film schools are awesome. Just wish they would have released roadracers on dvd this week to cash in on sin city.
Old 03-31-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks great. Can't wait for the DVD and I haven't even seen the flick yet.
Old 03-31-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Cool. I haven't even seen the film yet and I already want the DVD.
Old 03-31-05, 07:49 PM

I'm most excited for the 10-minute cooking school... and that's not putting down the other stuff at all, the one on the Once Upon a Time in Mexico dvd was awesome.
Old 03-31-05, 08:06 PM
Banned

I gotta admit, Robert Rodriguez has got to be the coolest director/film maker I know. He's got that, "Hey, I'm just your ordinary cheap independant filmmaker that happens to get his work on the big screen and I make lots of bucks (and fun) doing so."

His DVDs are also very cool with the 10-minute film school featurettes and cooking school segments.
Old 03-31-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I pretty much know nothing about this movie and still can't wait to see it when it comes out tomorrow.
Old 03-31-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like it's going to be a good one. Being able to watch each story on its own is a great feature
Old 03-31-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts
... so still no 10 munute "F- -KIN' School?
Old 03-31-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
... so still no 10 munute "F- -KIN' School?
...and his wife is a hottie too!

Anyone have a list of the stuff and written directions on the Puerco pe Bil? I really want to try making it some day but RR went a little fast for me to keep up.

At what point in Sin City do they eat breakfast tacos? I don't remember seeing them in the comic.
Old 03-31-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by automator
Feel the same way.
Old 03-31-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Robert Rodriquez is the peoples' filmmaker. Cool guy.
Old 03-31-05, 09:11 PM

I wish there were more directors like Rodriguez. He sets a SHINING example of what TRUE filmmakers should be. Lovers of their craft.

My definition of a director is a man like Rodriguez. He is able to do more than just point at an actor and tell them what to do. He is a one man production company. If an element of his production were to fall out, he could easily step in to do what is needed.

I hope Sin City is a step in a better direction for him though. I'd love to see him do more gritty, moving films rather than that Spy Kids crap (I didn't care much for them ...although I do respect them for what they are).

I think Mr. Lucas should take a few lessons from him.
Old 03-31-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All I need is the movie, a spankin' tranfer, and DTS and I'm happy as a clam.
Old 03-31-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
I think Mr. Lucas should take a few lessons from him.
While I would agree, I think it is he who is taking lessons from Lucas, and then doing a better thing than his teacher.

RR mentions on the Mexico DVD that GL was the one who hooked him on the digital shooting process, so in terms of technology, GL taught the lesson. However, in terms of making sure his films will click with the audience, I think RR could teach a lesson.

I also admire what RR says on his El Mariachi commentary. Instead of talking about how bad and cutthroat the business is and trying to keep others out of it, he actually encourages aspiring filmmakers to give it a shot and hopes his commentaries are a useful tool. He seemed to have a "If I can do it, you can too, or you should at least try," attitude.
Old 03-31-05, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by automator
Same here.
Old 03-31-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh man, this dvd sounds incredible. I love Rodriguez. He is good to his fans.
Old 03-31-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
Wait, will the film itself be extended, or is the only way to view the extended bits through the individual stories on the second disc? I like the idea of being able to watch them seperately, but I would also like to see one long cut.
Old 04-01-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd love to see him do more gritty, moving films rather than that Spy Kids crap (I didn't care much for them ...although I do respect them for what they are).

The thing about Spy Kids....It serves many purposes in his life. He has young children, and It gives them something to watch....doubt he would bring them on set, or even show them movies like Sin City, of from dusk til dawn. Secondly with 3-D it gives him a good place to take chances with HD technology. Children won't be as critical if something seems to "CG" Thirdly....its a cash cow. He made a ton of money, which allows him to build onto troublemaker studios and make other films. The commentaries for Spy kids 2-3-d are great...wish that Spy Kids SE would show up.
Old 04-01-05, 12:39 AM

The movie is AWESOME, and I'm sure the DVD will be also. I ususally get more exited about classic releases on DVD, since the current stuff is almost certainly going to be out within months of the theatrical run with a butt-kickin' disc (or two), but this is one movie I gotta get. Been itching to see it again ever since the preview a few weeks ago...

(And for the record, I've never really dug a Rodriguez film until now. Of course, he credited Frank Miller for getting the performances out the actors, so maybe I can't quite give him all the props. But the film is something else. And check out the comics, too! The movie may be the most faithful comic book adaptation to date.)
Old 04-01-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JiM T
The movie may be the most faithful comic book adaptation to date.)
for sure....

Ghost World and American Splendor come to mind though
Old 04-01-05, 01:05 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'll have to get this on dvd.
Old 04-01-05, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Seperating the stories seems like a great idea. As a long-time fan of the book, it'll be nice to see each story stand on its own.

In the film, the only story that is really split is Yellow Bastard. It starts off with it and then cuts off after the first act, goes into Marv's complete story and then to big fat kill and then back to Yellow bastard. So it's not really like the stories are all mixed up.
Old 04-01-05, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hope Sin City is a step in a better direction for him though. I'd love to see him do more gritty, moving films rather than that Spy Kids crap (I didn't care much for them ...although I do respect them for what they are).
How can you in one breath call the Spy Kids movies "crap" and then in the next one say you respect them for what they are. Just because something wasn't up your alley stylewise or content-wise, doesn't mean they are crap. True, I have little use for Spy Kids 3, but it's actually my kids' favorite one. But I absolutely love the first one and the second one is a lot of fun too. It's tough to do films for the whole family that not only the kids will enjoy, but adults too. Rodriguez not only accomplished that, but he did so on the cheap as usual and an in innovative way. Nothing crappy about that at all.

As for Sin City, I was most impressed when I read that he had gone ahead with giving Frank Miller co-directing credit on the movie even though it meant he was dropped from the Directors' Guild. It cost him another movie he was supposed to do for a studio and could hurt him in other ways down the road, but like he said in the article I read, hey, if you can't make these kind of cool, fun, cutting edge films, why would get into movies in the first place.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.