Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Laurel & Hardy marathon on TCM 04/01/05

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-05, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laurel & Hardy marathon on TCM 04/01/05

Yep, Turner Classic Movies channel will have a Laurel & Hardy marathon on Friday 04/01/05! Here is the schedule(Eastern Times):

6:00 AM MGM's Big Parade Of Comedy (1964) Film clips highlight the funniest scenes and brightest comic stars in MGM's history. Clips feature Greta Garbo, Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton. D: Robert Youngson. 90m.

7:30 AM Pack Up Your Troubles (1932) Two men try to find a new home for a deceased friend's daughter. Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Don Dillaway. D: George Marshall. 66m.

8:45 AM The Devil's Brother (1933) Two wannabe bandits are hired as servants by the real thing. Laurel & Hardy, Dennis King, Thelma Todd. D: Hal Roach. 90m. CC

10:15 AM Beau Hunks (1931) To cure a broken heart, a man and his best friend join the French Foreign Legion. Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Charles Middleton. D: James W. Horne. 37m.

10:45 AM The Bohemian Girl (1936) Two pickpockets raise a stolen child, not realizing she's royalty. Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Thelma Todd. D: James W. Horne, Charles Rogers. 68m.

12:00 PM Them Thar Hills (1934) When they go to the mountains for a rest cure, two men accidentally get high on moonshine. Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Mae Busch. D: Charles Rogers. 20m.

12:30 PM Tit For Tat (1935) Jealousy leads a grocer to destroy the shop of two repairmen, who respond in kind. Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Mae Busch. D: Charles Rogers. 19m.

1:00 PM Pick A Star (1937) A young innocent in Hollywood enlists a publicist's help in her search for stardom. Rosina Lawrence, Jack Haley, Laurel & Hardy. D: Edward Sedgwick. 70m.

2:30 PM Chicken Come Home (1931) 30m.

3:00 PM Nothing but Trouble (1944) A pair of dimwits get jobs as servants to a boy king whose life is in danger. Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Mary Boland. D: Sam Taylor. 69m. CC

4:15 PM Air Raid Wardens (1943) A pair of bumblers stumble upon Nazi spies on the home front. Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Edgar Kennedy. D: Edward Sedgwick. 67m. CC

5:30 PM A Chump at Oxford (1940) When two street sweepers catch a bank robber, they win the chance to attend Oxford. Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Wilfred Lucas. D: Alfred J. Goulding. 63m.

6:45 PM Swiss Miss (1938) When they're swindled, two salesmen have to work off their debts in a Swiss hotel. Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy Walter Woolf King. D: John G. Blystone. 65m.

8:00 PM Way Out West (1937) Two tenderfeet set out to deliver a gold mine deed to the dead miner's daughter. Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, James Finlayson. D: James W. Horne. 63m.

9:15 PM Sons of the Desert (1933) Two men sneak off to a convention after telling their wives they're sick. Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Charley Chase. D: William A. Seiter. 65m.

10:30 PM The Music Box (1932) Two moving men have to get a piano up a huge flight of steps in one piece. Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Billy Gilbert. D: James Parrott. 29m.

11:15 PM Block-Heads (1938) Chaos erupts when a man tries to help an old war buddy. Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Minna Gombell. D: John G. Blystone. 57m.

12:30 AM Pardon Us (1931) Two men sent to prison for selling bootleg liquor get caught in the middle of a jail break. Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, James Finlayson. D: James Parrott. 64m.

1:30 AM Blotto (1930) A man steals his wife's stash of booze, not knowing she's replaced it with a cold cure. Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Anita Garvin. D: James Parrott. 26m.
Old 03-31-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Also this month on TCM are blocks of Charley Chase, Fatty Arbuckle, Harold Lloyd, the Marx Bros., Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Abbott and Costello, Wheeler and Woolsey, and Martin and Lewis.
Old 04-01-05, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crap

I see this after I'm at work this morning. Damn DirecTiVo and no remote scheduling.
Old 04-01-05, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Crap

I see this after I'm at work this morning. Damn DirecTiVo and no remote scheduling.
I feel for you...I almost forgot to record this myself today, before heading out.

Thanks to the OP for reminding me this was on!
Old 04-01-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Sadly I'm cable-less. I guess I can dig out my 10 year old VHS tapes and watch them since they won't release the damn things on DVD.

I've always liked the shorts better than the features. I would have rather had them show more of the shorts, like "Hog Wild","Brats" and "Helpmates", rather than "Air Raid Wardens" or "Nothing but trouble". Still, it's a pretty good line up. "Them Thar Hills" and it's sequel "Tit For Tat" are two of the best shorts.
Old 04-01-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Wow!

Thanks for the heads up!

I am working at home today and was able to schedule these to record. From my 4 year old to my teenagers and on up to my ancient butt we love L & H. I had already scheduled Tit for Tat (one of my personal favorites) when running accross it searching by title for something else, but I did not realize this was a marathon.

I just noticed SpikeTV has a concurrent Three Stooges marathon going as well.
Old 04-01-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone know which L & H feature it is that has Ollie trapped in a floor with just his head poking through, and Stan hides him by placing a bucket upside down over his head? I was going to say "and then hilarious consequences ensue," but that goes without saying.
Old 04-01-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure that's Way Out West, when they're trying to "sneak" into the saloon.
Old 04-01-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by William Fuld
Also this month on TCM are blocks of Charley Chase, Fatty Arbuckle, Harold Lloyd, the Marx Bros., Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Abbott and Costello, Wheeler and Woolsey, and Martin and Lewis.
Sweet. I've always loved Abbott & Costello, and TCM shows them from time to time. Definitely going to check out some of the silent comedies with Keaton and Lloyd as well.
As for Fatty Arbuckle, many people today have never heard of him but he was a superstar back then until he was falsely accused of rape & murder. The ensuing trials ruined his career and his life.

They can burn the Martin & Lewis shitfests for all I care.
Old 04-01-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

They can burn the Martin & Lewis shitfests for all I care.
Only after I get my copy of "That's My Boy."

As I'm sure is the case with most of the general public I've never seen much Charley Chase, but I hear wonderful things about his work. That's going to be a must watch.

Edit: Damn, I just checked the web site and "That's My Boy" is not one of the Martin and Lewis flicks. They're only showing At War With the Army, Sailor Beware, The Caddy, and Living It Up. Ignite the kindling!

Last edited by Bill Needle; 04-01-05 at 03:37 PM.