Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Answer my question and i will stop posting. how much does ps2 online cost monthly????

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Answer my question and i will stop posting. how much does ps2 online cost monthly????

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-05, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much does ps2 online cost if u answer this i wont post anymore thigns about this... how much does it cost monthly??
Old 03-31-05, 10:31 AM

either you have never looked into online gaming and have not done any research on this topic or you are just bored and posting something to mess with the people on this board.

Sony does not charge anything for playing their games online all you need is the network adapter, a ps2, a game that has online capability and a internet connection and you can play online. the difference is sony's online is not as good as Live so I am happy to pay for live.

so the answer to your question is there is no monthly fee.
Old 03-31-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
This is freaking hilarious.
It doesn't cost anything unless a specific game (such as MMO's) have a fee to play them.

So....when can we expect to see your next thread?
Old 03-31-05, 10:33 AM

ok so xobx live cost like $25 a month because it has more features and stuff and ps2 dont cost anything???
Old 03-31-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
19.99/month, and you'll need your parents' credit card number.
There's also a 14.99 signup fee, and a 9.99 cancellation fee.
Old 03-31-05, 10:35 AM

so ps2 online is not free??? its $20 a month??
Old 03-31-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Just_Asking_12
ok so xobx live cost like $25 a month because it has more features and stuff and ps2 dont cost anything???

NO Xbox Live costs $50 a year. PS2 is free except having to buy the adapter and the game. I'm sure if you go to sony.com they can tell you everything you know. Then you won't have to start a new thread for every question you have.
Old 03-31-05, 10:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's $19.99/month if you're a charter subscriber. For new subscribers, it's $24.99/month plus a $99 sign-up fee.
Old 03-31-05, 10:38 AM

ok everyones sayin soemthign diffrent... everyones saying ps2 cost $20+ a month and some are syaing its totally free....
Old 03-31-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok I was wrong. Xbox Live is $100 every two years and PS2 Online is $50 bi-monthly or $150 quarterly. I know that is screwy but it's they way they do it. If you want to cancel you have to pay $50 and send in a picture of you riding a donkey. If you don't have a donkey or a camera then it's an extra $50 to cancel. Ok, I'm kidding about the donkey. I also heard that if you buy a PSP then you get PS2 Online for free. They even send you a device to plug into your PS2 that will allow you to use the PSP as a controller on your PS2. You can even watch the game on the PSP screen.
Old 03-31-05, 10:43 AM

Send me $50 per month and I will let you go online with your PS2 to all games except Everquest
Old 03-31-05, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mopower
. If you want to cancel you have to pay $50 and send in a picture of you riding a donkey.
And by riding, they do *NOT* mean sitting on it.

And I nominate this for Meanest Thread responses of the Week.
Old 03-31-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's $49.99 per month. Why does it cost so much? Because Sony uses Blast Processing (tm) to burst data packets across phone and cable wires at 4,000 MPH (SIX times faster than XBox Live), that's why! They also use 512-bit double-wide encryption so that no one can steal your credit card info and take all your money. Plus if you use Sony's service for 6 months or more, you get your choice of a FREE PSP or a pony!
Old 03-31-05, 10:55 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally Posted by MaxF
512-bit double-wide encryption
has there been a major breakthrough in crypto and no one told me about it?
Old 03-31-05, 10:56 AM

dammm u guys no a lot of stuff about this... u guys a like really smart... do u know this????? can

march maddness be played online for ps2???
Old 03-31-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the price just dropped to a one-time $15 fee and then supplemental fees based on how poorly your gameplay is.
Old 03-31-05, 10:59 AM

can march maddness be played online for ps2??
Old 03-31-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well.. whichever online gaming service he chooses, he'll be welcomed by SEVERAL of his kind. Yup.
Old 03-31-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
March Madness can be played online, but since today is 3/31, they turn off access to it at midnight tonight, till next year.

Dick_G: That's the new "pay as you play" program, I think it's only been rolled out to certain test markets as of now. They're trying that method, and a method where you get play credits based on your scores in sports games, as well. I heard they were working on one where they charge by the ammo for FPS games as well, but I think that's still in talks.
Old 03-31-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Just_Asking_12
can march maddness be played online for ps2??
Yes, but only the first batch of games contains this feature. It was removed in later releases due to some legal issues having to do with licensing (shoes, sports drinks, and underarm deodorants, etc.). The key is to look above the barcode on the back of the box. If it says "V1" above the bar code, you're good to go! Otherwise search eBay for "March Madness PS2 V1". It tends to go for about $50 used and up to $100 for a sealed copy. I heard a rumor that Sony will release a March Madness game for the PSP that connects to the PS2 version to unlock new "classic" players like Michael Jordan and Larry Bird, plus a "fantasy" court based on the Lord of the Rings series, complete with an Orc audience and a sword fight minigame. Hope that helps!
Old 03-31-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
Ok I was wrong. Xbox Live is $100 every two years and PS2 Online is $50 bi-monthly or $150 quarterly. I know that is screwy but it's they way they do it. If you want to cancel you have to pay $50 and send in a picture of you riding a donkey. If you don't have a donkey or a camera then it's an extra $50 to cancel. Ok, I'm kidding about the donkey. I also heard that if you buy a PSP then you get PS2 Online for free. They even send you a device to plug into your PS2 that will allow you to use the PSP as a controller on your PS2. You can even watch the game on the PSP screen.
That is one of the funniest posts i have ever seen.
Old 03-31-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jrobinson
has there been a major breakthrough in crypto and no one told me about it?
It's so new that only Sony is currently using it. In fact, the U.S. has put an embargo on exporting PS2 network adapters because the new encryption algorithms are so advanced that if they fell into enemy hands, America would be almost instantly destroyed by evildoers taking over our banks, power plants, etc. This is called "hacking", and it's really dangerous. Obviously Sony is trying to keep this all under wraps to avoid unnecessary attention from the evildoers, but some experts performed a "reverse-engineering core dump" to extract the algorithms from the network adapter using a "6 mod 5 robust transfer method", and they shared the news before realizing it was a secret.
Old 03-31-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
March Madness can be played online, but since today is 3/31, they turn off access to it at midnight tonight, till next year.

Dick_G: That's the new "pay as you play" program, I think it's only been rolled out to certain test markets as of now. They're trying that method, and a method where you get play credits based on your scores in sports games, as well. I heard they were working on one where they charge by the ammo for FPS games as well, but I think that's still in talks.
I heard that if you load your back to the future dvd first, then do a quick swap with your march madness game, you will be able to play it in months other than March.
Old 03-31-05, 11:16 AM
Suspended

I am getting a kick out of the entire thread.

Just Asking.....to be serious, starting tomorrow, Sony does not charge you anything, unless you are using a Duel Shock controller. They will charge 99c for each time that you try to connect to PS2 online. They are trying to make up revenue for being sued about these controllers. As long as you use an old PS1 controller, you are ok.
Old 03-31-05, 11:24 AM
Mod Emeritus

It's FREE... FREEEEEE FREEEE