Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Friends: "The One After I Do"...big gaff or what?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-05, 07:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Ok, so this is the ep after Chandler and Monica say I do and all and we are at the reception.

Ross exchanges his table seating card so he can sit at Mona's table. of course he goofs and gets the kids table. Now, at the kids table everybody recognize Ben (Ross' son, the kid from "Big Daddy") sitting on his immediate left? Why..oh why...does he not even remotely acknowledge him and say even a word to him?? It is like he is just there as kid filler.

This has bothered me for so long and i really need confirmation and/or a damned explanation.

Anyone???
Old 03-30-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Are you sure it is Ross's son? Could it be another kid named Ben?
Old 03-30-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
I also agree that it looks like the same kid that played Ben later on. I believe that identical twins played the part on Big Daddy but only one kid (of the twins) played Ben according to imdb.com

Anyway, this happened previously. Giovanni Ribisi played Phoebe's half-brother but in the episode that Phoebe plays outside central perk (the one with Chrissie Hynde) for spare change, he was the guy that accidentally tipped her his condom and he REALLY needed it back.
Old 03-30-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
It is Ben Gellar, played by Cole Sprouse, sitting next to Ross at the kid's table.

It makes perfect sense that Monica's nephew would attend her wedding.
So bringing the actor in to be stage dressing is at least a nod to reality.

I'm not sure what your problem is.

You think they should have included some dialogue where Ross identifies Ben as his son?
If you recognize the actor, you know it's Ben. If you don't recognize him, it doesn't matter.
Old 03-31-05, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were to run into my son at a wedding, I'd probably go ahead and say "hi", but maybe that's just me.
Old 03-31-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most wedding ceremonies and receptions last (what?) like five-six hours, maybe longer.

During that 30 minute episode of Friends, I never saw Ross go to the bathroom.

Oddly, I didn't conclude from that that Ross didn't have normal bodily functions.
Old 03-31-05, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having kids, I just can't imagine sitting next to one of them at a wedding and not acknowledging his existence.

If Ross had been sitting next to anyone else from the show's history, would it not have been weird for him to not acknowledge it? I mean, if it's Janice sitting there and he doesn't even pretend to know who she is, wouldn't people wonder? For example. But it's his own kid, and it's apparently perfectly normal to act as if you've never seen the kid before in your life.

When I see people around their kids who are that age, they tend to focus on their kid. Ross was the polar opposite. He finds out he's sitting next to his son, says nothing about it, sits down and yet treats the meeting as if he's sitting next to a stranger rather than his flesh and blood. I can't imagine a parent acting that way in real life.

You can assume that he talked to his kid a lot off screen, but even what we do see is odd in relation to his relationship with his son, especially in regards to a kid that age.
Old 03-31-05, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The OP asked for confirmation that that was Ben Gellar, which I provided.

Unfortunately, the best explanation for why we never saw Ross interacting with Ben is that Friends is a TV show, and The Powers That Be decided it was worth bring actor Cole Sprouse on for the episode, but didn't deem it necessary to shoot any footage of David Schwimmer and young Cole talking to each other.

If you want to get into a discussion about what kind of father Ross Gellar is, and what kind of relationship he has with Ben, I would suggest that you look at the amount of time Ross spent with Ben on the show, and draw your conclusions from that.

Me done make talk this.
Old 03-31-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by chowderhead
I also agree that it looks like the same kid that played Ben later on. I believe that identical twins played the part on Big Daddy but only one kid (of the twins) played Ben according to imdb.com

Anyway, this happened previously. Giovanni Ribisi played Phoebe's half-brother but in the episode that Phoebe plays outside central perk (the one with Chrissie Hynde) for spare change, he was the guy that accidentally tipped her his condom and he REALLY needed it back.

But was this before Phoebe found out that she had a brother? Cause she didn't know for a while. Until she went looking for her father, if I remember correctly. So it could have been her brother with the condom, and they just hadn't met yet.
Old 03-31-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Well since it was confirmed that they went to the trouble to bring in the actor that plays Ben, the most logical explanation would be there was a scene, but it was edited out for time.

Is there a commentary on that episode? Check it out, the answer may lie within.
Old 03-31-05, 03:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Are you sure it is Ross's son? Could it be another kid named Ben?
it is def. ross' son. it is not another giovanni ribisi. it was him and yes it makes sense he was at his aunt's wedding.

but people, you need to rewatch this!!! there is no way in hell a father is going to sit at a table with all these kids, sit next to his son, be there a good 10 seconds and absolutely NOT acknowledge his existence (even in the ficticious world of "Friends").

i mean i see how it wouldn't fit into this particular show, but it is so non-sensical...almost like the production people didn't want us to recognize who he was. they didn't think we were that smart!! that is what bugs me and troubles me about him first, not having a single word and second, not having a single interaction with his father sitting right next to him!!