Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which of your favorite movies are you surprised you still haven't picked up yet?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Which of your favorite movies are you surprised you still haven't picked up yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-05, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

by surprised i just mean... yeah

anyway for what ever reason you still haven't picked them up, whether it be time, money, other

i still haven't picked up Heat (either version) nor Raging Bull, i also want Time Bandits badly and it's not money, it's just i don't know , i guess my recent obsession with criterions hasn't helped

thanks for posting
Old 03-29-05, 06:52 PM

The Kubrick set contains 5 of my favorite movies and I have yet to pick it up. For a while it was about money and now it's about my assumption there will be a reissue. Not to mention the films' inclusion in the box set is keeping me from buying all the great SE / CE / etc like the Strangelove disc.
Old 03-29-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll second the Kubrick stuff, because I'm waiting for anamorphic widescreen releases. There's also a few Criterion boxed sets I'm looking at (like the John Cassavetes one), but the $125 price tag scares me.
Old 03-29-05, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quite frankly, I don't have "favorite" movies as such. So the DVDs I get are just those that I like the genre of.

Not to get too far off tangent here, but the whole idea of having a favorite movie, song, piece of artwork, etc, kinda turns me off. It reminds me of the sports fanatic that goes to a game or sports bar dressed in crazy team regalia. eg. Green Bay Packer Cheeseheads. I feel that if someone can honestly say that they have a favorite "whatever" says to me that they're a little close minded to other "items" in that same genre. For example, I belong to the TrekBBS as well, and there are some people who will watch no other sci-fi, but Star Trek. And I find that just to be quite short-sighted and even somewhat bigotted. I feel if you like a title in a certain genre, then you should try other titles in that same genre.

With that said, looking through my DDD wishlist, I don't see a listing that I can honestly say is even close to being a favorite.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 03-29-05 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 07:19 PM

Braveheart / Officespace - waiting for the SE on both of these
Old 03-29-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts
Lost Highway - just waiting for the studios/rights to get their ass in gear.
Old 03-29-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Legacy collections including Dracula, Wolfman, etc
Old 03-29-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Carlito's Way...I lost my old copy, and now the darn movie can't seem to stay in print.
Old 03-29-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There are plenty.....and it's because they are yet to be released on dvd. You know me by now....the ones I've been screaming about for the last few years:

Mighty Joe Young
King Kong
They All Laughed
The Other
Four Flies On Grey Velvet
Inside Moves

...and about 100 others?
Old 03-29-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Strangers on a Train (SE)
Throne of Blood (CC)
Willow (SE)
Predator 1 & 2 (SE)
Creature/Black Lagoon & Invisible Man Collections
Old 03-29-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Godfather Trilogy...waited for a price drop when the singles were released...still waiting

Warner's Tarzan Box...didn't have cash when it came out...waiting for a deal now

Toy Story Toy Box....mine was stolen...had no money when it was going OOP....bought the two singles...need to upgrade

a few others, but these are at the top
Old 03-29-05, 09:38 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by BenitoJuarez
i also want Time Bandits badly and it's not money, it's just i don't know , i guess my recent obsession with criterions hasn't helped
Time Bandits is a Criterion!! You can satisfy two obsessions at once!
Old 03-29-05, 09:46 PM

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
Casablanca
Old 03-29-05, 09:54 PM

Back To The Future Trilogy. I held out for the corrected versions in stores. It's cheap now. Maybe wait for the new editions coming up now.

-AC
Old 03-29-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I would like to get the following soon, someday.

Monster Legacy collections
Weird Science
The Breakfast Club
St. Elmo's Fire
Neverending Story
Big Fish

Just to name a few of my favorites.
Old 03-30-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Batman (1989)

Soon.
Old 03-30-05, 12:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some of the ones I haven't picked up:

The Goonies
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
all of the National Lampoon's Vacation movies
Back to the Future Trilogy
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Star Wars Trilogy
Old 03-30-05, 12:38 AM

Akira Kurosawa Criterion Collection
Old 03-30-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Memento
The Killer
He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
Old 03-30-05, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

House of Flying Daggers. I was going to pick-up the R3 version, but then the R1 version was announced so I held off for a few months. Other than that I can't think of any.
Old 03-30-05, 02:35 AM

Oh man.....
Robocop...now of course I'm kicking myself. The Criterion disc was around for a long time, and now...well, y'all know. Now it's only available in the bloody boxset (R1, anyway). MGM: blow me.
Aliens. Aliens. Aliens. I don't know why I don't have it. Why? Now there's the new 2-disc set taken from the Quadrilogy. I must have it. Sigh.
Die Hard. The 4-star collection. Is this still in print?? It had better be.
Someone said Lost Highway--definitely waiting for whomever to get their asses in gear. I hope Lynch is working on a transfer now. Isn't why it takes a while for his films to get to DVD? So. Wild at Heart. Blue Velvet. Twin Peaks--I'm waiting for Paramount to re-release season 1...hopefully with the goddamned pilot.
There are others. The reason? Money. Conspicuous consumption. I don't live in the US at the moment and moving a lot conspicuously consumed crap internationally doesn't make sense. And I'll be moving around a lot. But my short list shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 03-30-05, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Time Bandits is a Criterion!! You can satisfy two obsessions at once!
Yeah, but if I had to just get one version, I would get the Anchor Bay Divimax version instead. Aside from being much cheaper, it has much better picture quality. Supplements are different, but just as informative.

He could always get both though.
Old 03-30-05, 06:49 AM

I still havent gotten Psycho
Old 03-30-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Donnie Darko: Director's Cut (too expensive right now)
The Fifth Element
The Truman Show
The Breakfast Club
Old 03-30-05, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Quite frankly, I don't have "favorite" movies as such. So the DVDs I get are just those that I like the genre of.

Not to get too far off tangent here, but the whole idea of having a favorite movie, song, piece of artwork, etc, kinda turns me off. It reminds me of the sports fanatic that goes to a game or sports bar dressed in crazy team regalia. eg. Green Bay Packer Cheeseheads. I feel that if someone can honestly say that they have a favorite "whatever" says to me that they're a little close minded to other "items" in that same genre. For example, I belong to the TrekBBS as well, and there are some people who will watch no other sci-fi, but Star Trek. And I find that just to be quite short-sighted and even somewhat bigotted. I feel if you like a title in a certain genre, then you should try other titles in that same genre.

With that said, looking through my DDD wishlist, I don't see a listing that I can honestly say is even close to being a favorite.
To me, there seems to be quite a difference in being a fan boy of a movie and having a favorite one. For instance, my favorite movie is The Big Lebowski, but I (assuming most people behave the same way) have yet to shut myself off from other comedies and Coen Brothers movies. I would think, if anything, having a favorite movie would only serve to spark you interest in the genre and expand your viewing habits.

Also, I don't think there is anything that I am surprised I have yet to pick up, as of last weekend.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.