Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Clash appreciation thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the Clash. They have changed my life. They are the ultimate punk band, no matter how much their song changed from album to album, and no matter what other music genres they incorporated in their songs. They are also a band that almost all different types of punks can agree one. From Blink-182 loving pop-punkers, to crusty Amebix freaks. I can listen to them every single day and not get bored. Please share your thoughts about The Clash. Thank you.
Old 03-29-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been a fan since the late 70's, great band. I wish 'Rude Boy' would get a proper DVD release in America.
Old 03-29-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

#5 of my all-time fav bands/musicians. punks with serious talent. what a shame strummer had to pass.
Old 03-29-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Let me throw out a STRONG AGREEMENT to their greatness. They're in my top ten bands. I love their first four albums.

Old 03-29-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure, I like The Clash, just like everyone else.
I'm going to get a lot of flak for this....but I don't care.....I've always enjoyed Stiff Little Fingers more.
Old 03-29-05, 07:14 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
He's in love with rock and roll, woah
He's in love with getting stoned, woah
He's in love with Janie Jones woah
He don't like his boring job, no.

Old 03-29-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Burnt Alive
Sure, I like The Clash, just like everyone else.
I'm going to get a lot of flak for this....but I don't care.....I've always enjoyed Stiff Little Fingers more.

What about the Vibrators since SLF got their name from the a song by the band.
Old 03-29-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Love the Clash. Got to see PIL and BAD II tour together in the early 90s, great to see at least part of one of the greatest bands ever.
Old 03-29-05, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
Love the Clash. Got to see PIL and BAD II tour together in the early 90s, great to see at least part of one of the greatest bands ever.

Awesome. I'm hoping Mick Jones' Carbon/Silicone comes to NY.
Old 03-29-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the song "Guns of Brixton" is one of the reasons I play drums
Old 03-29-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I was listening to London Calling on the way to work today. I'm not a big fan and I actually get tired of the drunk-sounding vocals on alot of their stuff but I like London Calling pretty good. I think it is a little too long and 3-4 filler songs could be axed, but solid overall.
Old 03-29-05, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I was listening to London Calling on the way to work today. I'm not a big fan and I actually get tired of the drunk-sounding vocals on alot of their stuff but I like London Calling pretty good. I think it is a little too long and 3-4 filler songs could be axed, but solid overall.
I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but I'm curious which songs from that album you would consider to be "filler"? There's actually one song on the album I've never liked, even though I consider the album one of my consistent favorites of the past quarter century. I won't say what the song is until you weigh in, however.
Old 03-29-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My brother got me into them a couple years ago, when I was 20 or so and I must say I am a big big fan right now. Sad I got into them after Strummer's death...I knew a lot of their songs, but had no idea it was their music.

London Calling is one of the best CDs I've ever bought, and even the self-titled one is good as well. I could seriously listen to London Calling anyday all the way through
Old 03-29-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Sandinista had a lot of filler, but London Calling remains one of my all time favorite albums.
Old 03-29-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
I've been a fan since the late 70's, great band. I wish 'Rude Boy' would get a proper DVD release in America.
The British DVD is a great reason to get a multi-region player.
Old 03-29-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but I'm curious which songs from that album you would consider to be "filler"? There's actually one song on the album I've never liked, even though I consider the album one of my consistent favorites of the past quarter century. I won't say what the song is until you weigh in, however.
Jimmy Jazz is the first that comes to mind along with a couple of others near the end of the album (I just picked it up last week and do not know all of the song titles yet).
Old 03-29-05, 03:55 PM

If I had to pick 4 songs of London Calling that I don't like AS MUCH as the others... they would probably be...

Lover's Rock
Revolution Rock
Mayyyybe....Brand New Cadillac
And....I can't think of a 4th. This album is too good.
Old 03-30-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the great rock bands of all time, something about the pure lo fi asthetic of that first album just can't be beat. DVD wise the WESTWAY TO THE WORLD documentary is one of the great band docs of all time, killer footage and interviews, and the disc has some cool extras including a discography with full songs. On a side note I subscribed to MOJO music mag in Feb and I am supposed to be getting the RUDE BOY dvd as a gift!
Old 03-30-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I just purchased LC and CR from yourmusic.com (remastered versions). Really looking forward to them.
Old 03-30-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Where's the love for Give 'em Enough Rope? For some reason this one always seems left out. I've recently gone back & listened to this again and I think it's probably my favorite Clash album. Listening to it in retrospect, it's a perfect bridge between their debut & LC. And far, far better than the awful Combat Rock or the mediocre Sandanista! (which would have made a decent single disc).

Anybody have 'The Story of The Clash' DVD? Lots of live stuff, some videos and 5.1 mixes!
Old 03-30-05, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Where's the love for Give 'em Enough Rope? For some reason this one always seems left out. I've recently gone back & listened to this again and I think it's probably my favorite Clash album. Listening to it in retrospect, it's a perfect bridge between their debut & LC. And far, far better than the awful Combat Rock or the mediocre Sandanista! (which would have made a decent single disc).
1. Combat Rock isn't awful. Side 1 is the equal of anything the band did. "Car Jamming"? "Straight To Hell"? Please.

2. Sandinista! is a fantastic album that grows in greatness with each passing year. From the Kosmo Vinyl track "Lose This Skin" to the little kid singing "Career Opportunities", this is a rich complex album that rewards repeated listenings.

3. Give 'Em Enough Rope is fantastic. "Julie's In the Drug Squad" is one of Strummer's best lyrics and vocal performances.
Old 03-30-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i saw the clash in the early '80's at the asbury park convention hall (nj). great live band and a hell of a concert. still have my concert t-shirt!
Old 03-30-05, 03:50 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Josh, hope you got London Calling: 25th Anniversary Legacy Edition. Thwe DVD and the extra CD "The Vanilla Tapes" are both terrific extras.
Old 03-30-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

when it comes to clash albums, combat rock is actually my favorite. the bizarre nature of it really hits a high note with me.
Old 03-30-05, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
when it comes to clash albums, combat rock is actually my favorite. the bizarre nature of it really hits a high note with me.
Yeah, who else would write a song about Errol Flynn's missing son?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.