Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Sideways'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-28-05, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Francis Rizzo III's DVD review of Sideways at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=15060 and...
This reviewer says that with this role, he has renewed faith in Virginia Madsen, but in his first description of her can go no fruther than to describe her physical beauty, and then carries on for a few more sentences vaguely regarding her characters role, and yet spends a much larger paragraph for Sandra Oh, who, did a fantastic job, was an obviously lesser character to the film. This review is nice, just seems slightly slanted towards a sexist.

Last edited by lincolnsmith; 03-28-05 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-28-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lincolnsmith
I read Francis Rizzo III's DVD review of Sideways at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=15060 and...
this guy is such a sexist, he says that Virginia Madsen is what is really great about the film, but in his first descritption can go no fruther than to describe her physical beauty, and then carries on other topics. Yeah great review.
More impressive is Madsen, who I had all but written off after her part in the Britney Spears-produced Brave New Girl. She redeems herself here, looking radiant, while providing the film with a stable anchor that balances the world of grapes and the world of people who work real jobs like waitressing. The script only gives her so much to do, but in those small bits she grounds the movie in reality.
What am I missing? That he didn't write six paragraphs about her or that he used a whole two words to describe her physical appearance?

Am I crazy, or has there been an influx of folks over the past year who have nothing better to do than to crap on reviews? It wouldn't be so bad if they at least tried to get it right once in a while.
Old 03-28-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice first post, lincolnsmith. Keep 'em coming.

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Am I crazy, or has there been an influx of folks over the past year who have nothing better to do than to crap on reviews?
You're 100% correct. It's probably just a select few that keep getting banned, though.

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 03-28-05 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-28-05, 09:27 PM

Alright, I apologize

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III

You're 100% correct. It's probably just a select few that keep getting banned, though.
You are right, I must have selective memory, it's just that those two lines seemed so artificial, and then, he seemed to slight that even more by not talking really at all about her performance, which he thought was really good, but I got no elaboration on. I wasn't "shitting" on a review. So sorry if it seemed that way, the rest of the review was fine though and in retrospect, I shouldn't have posted that without giving a more thorough explanation of my opinion. thank you.
Old 03-28-05, 09:30 PM

By "nice first post", you were being sarcastic, right?
Old 03-29-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Originally Posted by lincolnsmith
By "nice first post", you were being sarcastic, right?
Nope. I think he really enjoyed your post and is looking forward to many more in the future. That is why he posted the 'well done smilie' afterwards.
Old 03-29-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was being sarcastic, but your second post was a nice recovery.
Old 03-29-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
And one more time, I must thank god that the site I review for doesn't have a forum.
Old 04-04-05, 12:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I have reading from varying reviews that the commentary track is great - can't wait to rent this just to hear this.
Old 04-04-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eXcentris
And one more time, I must thank god that the site I review for doesn't have a forum.

Isn't that a tad ironic. A review who hates being reviewed ;-P
Old 04-04-05, 03:00 PM

Got the DVD

really great film, excellent buy. Nice high quality release all around the board.
Old 04-06-05, 09:19 AM
Banned

Location: You ever look up in the sky at night and notice a star shining so bright and so proud by such a margin that it deserves to be in its own category? I am that star!
Liked the film...Thought it was very similar to Swingers and must of been influenced by it.
Giamatti's character: Struggling writer depressed over a divorce
Favreau's character: stuggling comedian depressed over breakup with girlfriend
Thomas Haden Church's character: Outgoing ladies man who wants his friend to get back out there and play the field
Vince Vaughn's character: pretty much the same as Thomas Haden Church's character

Anyone else pick up on this?

Last edited by Sparklek1D; 04-06-05 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-06-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sparklek1D
Liked the film...Thought it was very similar to Swingers and must of been influenced by it.
Thomas Haden Church's character: Outgoing ladies man who wants his friend to get back out there and play the field
Vince Vaughn's character: pretty much the same as Thomas Haden Church's character

I read the book, and a review quote on the front cover eluded to the similarities with "Swingers." I think its safe to say that there was an influence there.
Old 04-06-05, 02:44 PM
Banned

Location: You ever look up in the sky at night and notice a star shining so bright and so proud by such a margin that it deserves to be in its own category? I am that star!
Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn
I read the book, and a review quote on the front cover eluded to the similarities with "Swingers." I think its safe to say that there was an influence there.
Do you remember the review quote? I looked at the paperback I did not see anything..
Old 04-06-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you remember the review quote? I looked at the paperback I did not see anything..
"A buddy novel in the cinematic vein of Swingers"- Booklist

My copy is the reprint (looks like the movie poster).
Old 04-07-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Yeah, it's also just like Caddyshack. See, there's some guys and they play golf, and get drunk, and then there are some girls. Practically the same movie. RIPOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!