Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Hellgate: London (Upcoming PC Game from the makers of Diablo)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 10:03 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I was pleasantly surprised when my PC Gamer came this month, featuring this game on the cover. This is the first information to come out about the new game from Flagship Studios, which was founded by ex-Blizzard employees (including Bill Roper).

The preview is quite good, and has some screenshots. In a nutshell, the game is a Diablo clone, now in a 3D first-person perspective and taking place in post-Apocalyptic, demon-invested, London.

The screenshots weren’t all that impressive (looked like Doom 3), but reading the preview the gameplay is pure Diablo. It’s not a “twitch” game, instead whether you damage a monster or not is determined by your stats. Like Diablo, there’s leveling, skill trees, items, and randomization (they had to build a brand-new engine to accommodate the latter).

Multiplay is only planned to be co-op at this point, but they aren’t ruling out PvP. The article states there will be at least 16 players at a time, possibly up to 32. As far as I can tell, at this point the game will probably be PC only. No idea on a release date.

Anyway, this sounds interesting so I'll be following this game as it progresses.
Old 04-01-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I've been meaning to start a thread on this game for a week or so since I got my copy of PCG... but I can see now that "you beat me to it" doesn't really mean anything since you and I are the only ones who give a crap.

I'm not even a Diablo fan, but this game has me interested. Saying the screenshots looked like Doom 3 though is an insult to Doom 3. These shots look like an updated Diablo would look today - but from a first-person perspective. The light and shading is crappy or non-existant. Still it looks pretty good otherwise.

Anyway - I'm surprised this isn't a hotter topic since it's from the makers of Diablo which was one of the most popular PC franchises ever.
Old 04-01-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trigger
Anyway - I'm surprised this isn't a hotter topic since it's from the makers of Diablo which was one of the most popular PC franchises ever.
First time I've heard of it.

I'll probably be getting it when it comes out!
Old 04-01-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got any links to a site or anything? i thought diablo was the shit back in the day!
Old 04-01-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
got any links to a site or anything? i thought diablo was the shit back in the day!
google "hellgate london"... there's some sites with info - PCGamer had an exclusive for it or something I think. IGN has nothing. Shacknews just reporting what PCG said... most sites have nothing more than an announcement that the game was announced or that PCG was gonna run an article on it.
Old 04-01-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i found it looks kinda cool, but i'll wait till i hear a review of the full thing when it ships before i get all excited.
Old 07-09-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't get the comments on bad screenshots??? They look pretty good to me. It does seem to me it is a cross between Diablos gameplay and Doom 3. I can't wait. I haven't bought a PC game since Diablo 2 but I will have to get this one. Well, that is if they brought over Blizzards quality control standards with them. I love Blizzard simply because you know the game is great right out of the box. This one looks great and I also read somewhere about Blizzard preparing to do something with Diablo. Diablo MMORGP would be awsome. They could always just take over MUonline and do it right.
Old 07-09-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I played around with it at E3. It was pretty interesting, and nice to see what Bill Roper was up to
Old 07-09-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks interesting, I'll keep an eye on it. Not sure about the first-person approach though.
Old 10-05-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So i see this game is due out near the end of this month. Has there been any buzz or talk about what it has transformed into? Is it still a Diablo clone?
Old 10-18-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All gone.

Also the Beta has A LOT more content compared to the demo.

Last edited by flashburn; 10-18-07 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-18-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
So i see this game is due out near the end of this month. Has there been any buzz or talk about what it has transformed into? Is it still a Diablo clone?
Buzz has been pretty good, and the people i know that are in the beta currently seem to enjoy it.
Old 10-18-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Demo is out:

See what all the fuss is about for yourself with the 1.4GB Hellgate: London singleplayer demo:
In the first premiere demo, players choose from two of Hellgate: London's six characters: the swashbuckling melee action of the Blademaster or long-range killing action of the Marksman. Once selected, gamers available carve their way through a sample of the storyline centered around the street and tunnels near Holborn Station.
Download from:

* 4players
* ActionTrip
* ComputerGames.ro
* FileFront
* FilePlanet
* GameDaily
* Gamershell
* WorthPlaying
Old 10-18-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is fun, but it is pretty repetitive. The few different tilesets (maybe 4 or 5) all look pretty similar. That and how linear it is are my biggest gripes.
Old 10-18-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Its really linear? I don't like that. Is it free-form, or are you stuck on a path?
Old 10-18-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Its really linear? I don't like that. Is it free-form, or are you stuck on a path?
Not sure what you mean by stuck on a path. Each level it setup just like dungeons in Diablo, where there is always one set destination, although this time you are usually constrained to halls of some sort (either streets, subway, sewers etc). Everything is setup through a subway system and you find quest hubs along the way which you can use to transfer to previously visited quest hubs.

Along the way to a new hub there will be dungeons that are usually one or two levels deep that you can go through before going back on the course to the next quest hub.
Old 10-19-07, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was fun. It was great when i had to get joey's "good leg", and when i turned it in he's like "AND HOW"
Old 10-19-07, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the link to the demo. I tried downloading it last night, but one of the files was corrupt. Another 1.5gb download from scratch.

My enthusiasm for this game has gone down considerably now that multiplayer has been announced as pay-to-play.
Old 10-19-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Multiplayer isn't pay to play, but there is an "elite" subscription that will give you access to some bonus content (which hasn't been finalized yet).
Old 10-19-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
tried the demo last night.

so bland...so ugly

what the hell?
Old 10-20-07, 07:26 PM

I liked the demo, even though it was pretty short. I played it through as both character types. With all the classes, skill trees, and equipment this will have a lot of potential replay value. I'm not sure if it's a true successor to the Diablo legacy, however.
Old 10-21-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have been looking forward to this game for the longest time and the fact that I couldn't even bring myself to finish the demo just kills me inside. Honestly, it does.
Old 10-21-07, 09:32 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Played the demo and i think its bland,boring and repetitive.
Old 10-21-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Played the demo, and the only word I could think of was "lame." Graphics were terrible, the "plot" and tutorial felt like they were written by 5 year olds. The AI of your friend at the beginning is a hopping wonder monkey. I didn't even finish.
Old 10-22-07, 12:53 AM

I've been playing it. I don't care for it. In fact, the free game they are developing alongside HG:L, Mythos, is easily superior to it. Mythos is in a closed beta right now, but it's much more fun and interesting than HG:L ever thought about being. If you look around, I'm sure you can find a Mythos invite somewhere. I'd easily recommend it over HG:L...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.