Reload this Page >

Revelations mini-series on NBC

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-25-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NBC has a promo for this show on their website that looks pretty damn good.

Link
Old 03-25-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More info on the TV Tome website:

Welcome to the Revelations (2004) guide at TV Tome.

Show Title: Revelations
Show Type: Religious Drama
Network: NBC
Seasons: 1 (Limited Series)
First Aired: April 13, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The end is here...

This limited drama series revolves around a group that works to hold off the apocalypse. More specifically, it's the showdown between God and Satan as foretold in the Bible book of Revelations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set just before the start of Armageddon, the series will follow two central characters, a physicist and a nun, who are racing against the clock to see if the end of the world apocalypse can be averted. Bill Pullman is up for the role of Dr. Richard Massey, a Harvard professor whose daughter is murdered by satanists while McElhone stars as a nun who recruits Massey to help investigate whether what's told in the Book of Revelations is starting to come true. Seltzer and Polone with executive produce the project along with Pariah Television's Vivian Cannon and Jessika Borsiczky.

NBC has made a premium six-figure commitment to the project, with Seltzer being tapped to write the first two hours and a bible for the series.
Spoiler:
Much like ABC's upcoming Kingdom Hospital, the untitled NBC project is designed to be self-contained however there will be the possibility of additional seasons should ratings merit.

Last edited by johnglass; 03-27-05 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-25-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The poster ads for this all around the subways here in NY have me interested in it...
Old 03-25-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I to understand from that promo that it is about Jesus being born again on Earth in the form of a baby and some nun is trying to find Him? Sounds pretty ludicrious to me.
Old 03-26-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Looks like it's in the same time slot as Alias. Could be bad for ratings. That and the whole religious angle.
Old 03-26-05, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This one looks good. Looks like they got some decent actors to carry it. I am definately checking this one out. As long as it doesn't get preachy it should be good. However with my luck on shows that deal with Good vs Evil this will not finish. Maybe with it being a mini series though I have a good chance of actually seeing a show complete. One can only hope.
Old 03-26-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I guess I would rather see something like the Left Behind deal done, but actually done well. I don't actually buy that version of Revelations too much, but I enjoyed the first few books (then lost interest). But I would rather see something that seems somewhat plausible (based on Revelations) than something like this. But I would probably watch.

Oh, and this is another sign that the Religious Right is taking over America.
Old 03-26-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Eh... Interesting, but I probably won't be checking it out...

Dave it's one show out of hundreds that are on each yr....and given your last statement I'm wondering why you're interested in them? (confused)
Old 03-26-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

The last statement was a joke. Beating others to the punch. I thump my Bible with pride
Old 03-26-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's neat how they couldn't get the name of the book it's based on correct.
Old 03-26-05, 05:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The whole religious angle didn't stop The Exorcist or The Omen from being big hits.

And, in fact, this sounds a lot The Omen in many ways.
Old 03-26-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The whole religious angle didn't stop The Exorcist or The Omen from being big hits.

And, in fact, this sounds a lot The Omen in many ways.

I don't think the religious angle keeps anything from being a hit. I think people enjoy those types of movies very much. I enjoyed The Omen quite a bit. But when they are going to take something from a book of the Bible, etc. I think they lose when it is nothing like the book. I'm thinking specifically of the TV movie Noah, which had Noah and Abraham (I think that is right) together, etc. At least in the movie Titanic the boat still sank.

If this were just another religious movie like The 7th Sign or something, that would be one thing. It was supposedly about Revelations, but didn't call itself that.

Who know, maybe I am too nitpicky. I am guessing that based on the success of The Passion and the Left Behind book series, that people prefer something that seems to be fairly true to the Bible.

I could be way off base though, and it could be very good. But I don't like the "Satanists" part in the overview either. I always find that to be the front door to the cheese factory. IT's like the communist scare stuff.
Old 03-26-05, 05:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, the whole "daughter killed by Satanists" angle seems silly, but it could be fun.

I mean, hey, it's Bill Pullman.
Old 03-26-05, 06:15 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
It's neat how they couldn't get the name of the book it's based on correct.
This miniseries adopts both The Revelation of St. John and the lesser-known Revelation of St. Marvin, in which God revealed to Marvin that the great dragon from John's Revelation will be fought be a Harvard professor and a nun.

Dave -- they did make a movie of Left Behind, starring Kirk "Growing Pains" Cameron.
Old 03-26-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
Dave -- they did make a movie of Left Behind, starring Kirk "Growing Pains" Cameron.
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I guess I would rather see something like the Left Behind deal done, but actually done well.
Old 03-27-05, 12:49 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Don't be dissin' Mike Seaver.
Old 03-27-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Loved The Exorcist.

Liked The Omen.

Loved The Seventh Sign.

Loved (with a passion) The Rapture.

I'll probably give this a try.
Old 03-27-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The last statement was a joke. Beating others to the punch. I thump my Bible with pride
Nicely done.

But being from Hollywood, it is more likely to be a bunch of Satanists milking Christian interest in the subject.
Old 03-27-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldDude
Nicely done.

But being from Hollywood, it is more likely to be a bunch of Satanists milking Christian interest in the subject.
In this adaptation, Satan wins.
Old 03-27-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts
Seeing as the apocalypse is supposed to be something joyous for the religious folk, why would they be trying to avert it?
Old 03-27-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Seeing as the apocalypse is supposed to be something joyous for the religious folk, why would they be trying to avert it?

My guess (and this is all it is) is that for the movie, the nun would try to avert it for the same reason Catholics often dislike the death penalty.....it gives us less time to convert people. That is just a wild guess based on what I think this movie will be like, though.

That is part of what I dislike about this type of movie....the idea that humans have the power to avert any plan by God, Satan, etc. I prefer the horror type where they just try to live through it.

movielib loved The Rapture???? I kind of enjoyed it actually.
Old 03-27-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've spoiler-proofed the last sentence of my second post. After re-reading it, I realized it completely ruins the ending of the mini-series for me.
Old 03-27-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts
My guess (and this is all it is) is that for the movie, the nun would try to avert it for the same reason Catholics often dislike the death penalty.....it gives us less time to convert people. That is just a wild guess based on what I think this movie will be like, though.

I guess that's it. Still dosen't make too much sense to me. I'd think that if the events of Revelation actually came to pass it would be one hell of a conversion tool. I know my face would be red.
Old 04-08-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so who's going to watch this? I see atleast the first ep. will air on every NBC owned network. I'm hoping they continue with that through the entire run since I have no room for any more recorded shows on Wed. unless I "gasp" break out the VCR.
Old 04-08-05, 11:14 PM
Banned

This looked good at first... Now I realize their just hyping it up... When in reality I see it being a very preachy show.... I refuse to watch it... They will not force jesus on me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.