Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Stargate Atlantis 3/25

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stargate Atlantis 3/25

Old 03-25-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Stargate Atlantis 3/25

why waste all that small arms ammo against wraith darts?
and knowing that it takes a lot of lead to take down a wraith, why are they still using P90s?

edit: P90s are like ice picks. good for punching a hole in body armor, but it's still a narrow hole. I think for Wraith I'd want a .30 cal with soft or hollow points for expansion

Last edited by mikehunt; 03-26-05 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-25-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched it a few weeks ago care of SkyOne, and the bottom line is they handled the Wraith attacking plot horribly. The idea that they could hold out for four days against the Wraith, until the Daedelus gets there, was absurd... But obviously the writers were desperate for a cliff-hanger.

The fact that Atlantis could fight off the Wraith if they were really able to infiltrate the city as easily as they were doing... Come on, that's even more stupid than the relatively weak ammo they were using against the Darts having any effect. The city would have been overrun in a single wave. Hell, there wouldn't be waves, the Wraith would have just kept coming. There aren't all that many people at Atlantis to fight off the what, millions of Wraith on the two hive ships?

I'm sure the Wraith were all "Ooh, we're screwed! A couple hundred people knocked down some of our ships with tiny metal slugs! Time to rethink our plan and wait!!! We'll only need another... oh, say... Four days to figure out how to overcome their 100,000 to 1 disadvantage!"

This storyline would have been a lot better if they were writing it as an invasion of Atlantis pure and simple, and not writing to get as big a cliff hanger as they could. The writers should have just left it at part 1 and had either the nukes take out the ships or the Daedelus arrive before the Wraith.
Old 03-26-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Originally Posted by coladar
This storyline would have been a lot better if they were writing it as an invasion of Atlantis pure and simple, and not writing to get as big a cliff hanger as they could. The writers should have just left it at part 1 and had either the nukes take out the ships or the Daedelus arrive before the Wraith.
agreed
and why didn't anyone suggest that Sheppard drop the nuke out the back of the jumper and hit full throttle and let it blow up behind him. even if he still ended up dying at least he'd have tried to survive his attack run
Old 03-26-05, 12:46 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

What happened in the last 2-3 minutes? Stupid DVR stopped taping right after the Colonel got jumped. Thanks!
Old 03-26-05, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

weir radios tayla but she doesn't answer and they show her squad all down with one P90 laying on the ground with out a body next to it, and tayla is gone
sheppard starts his attack run
then it goes to "to be continued"
I think that was it
Old 03-26-05, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What was up with the uniforms those Marines were wearing? That wasn't MARPAT.

Why didn't they bring some stinger missles? Hell they could of fit some humevee's with air defense systems on on them through the stargate.
Old 03-26-05, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I enjoy this show, just like I enjoy SG-1, but yeah... that was really stupid to repeatedly show a line of soldiers with machine guns shooting at spaceships flying high overhead...
Old 03-26-05, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by coladar
I watched it a few weeks ago care of SkyOne, and the bottom line is they handled the Wraith attacking plot horribly. The idea that they could hold out for four days against the Wraith, until the Daedelus gets there, was absurd... But obviously the writers were desperate for a cliff-hanger.

The fact that Atlantis could fight off the Wraith if they were really able to infiltrate the city as easily as they were doing... Come on, that's even more stupid than the relatively weak ammo they were using against the Darts having any effect. The city would have been overrun in a single wave. Hell, there wouldn't be waves, the Wraith would have just kept coming. There aren't all that many people at Atlantis to fight off the what, millions of Wraith on the two hive ships?

I'm sure the Wraith were all "Ooh, we're screwed! A couple hundred people knocked down some of our ships with tiny metal slugs! Time to rethink our plan and wait!!! We'll only need another... oh, say... Four days to figure out how to overcome their 100,000 to 1 disadvantage!"

Aren't most of the Wraith in hibernation to a conserve "food"?
Old 03-26-05, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manco
Aren't most of the Wraith in hibernation to a conserve "food"?
hehe, you've got me there. I don't recall anything about hibernation being mentioned in this arc though.

Based on the information given to us, we should assume that the Wraith expect that as soon as they overtake Atlantis, they'll reach a new feeding ground. Even considering a fair number might still be in hibernation, there's still going to be a ridiculous number of Wraith awake per human in Atlantis.

I'd think it possible, even likely, they might all be awake for the siege though. As far as they are concerned they are just days from reaching a new feeding ground, and they all need to be awake to get there.
Old 03-26-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

actually, the wraith were in hibernation. until the atlantis teams started poking around. now most of the wraith are awake and hitting every planet
Old 03-26-05, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Manco
What was up with the uniforms those Marines were wearing? That wasn't MARPAT.

Why didn't they bring some stinger missles? Hell they could of fit some humevee's with air defense systems on on them through the stargate.
I noticed the uniforms too, but hell who cares if that is the new urban MARPAT, my god they were wearing berets.....they aren't in the army or some frechman, get that crap off of there. Oh yea, gonna be hard to pull off a rescue in July.
Old 03-27-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I started watching stargate atlantis halfway through the season and I really enjoy it. Not much for SG-1 though.
Maybe I missed something, but howcome they didn't just bring the ZPM through the stargate instead of bringing it on Daedelus?
Hope they'll show repeats until July so I can fill in the gaps.
Old 03-27-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the ZPM had to be tied into the gate's power supply to open a wormhole to atlantis.
Old 03-28-05, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The whole strategy the replacement military was running had me

Is the Daedelus really going to be powerful enough to hold off two mother ships with all those darts?
Old 03-28-05, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew

Is the Daedelus really going to be powerful enough to hold off two mother ships with all those darts?
I wondered the same thing. The other ship seemed powerful but nearly a match for two motherships and all those darts. Think they will bring Thor or some other help from our universe? Seems like they have almost written themselves into to big of a plot hole - unless they use the Star Trek doubletalk technobabble resolution device. Guess we'll find out in July.
Old 03-28-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

any chance SG1 people will be on Daedelus?
Jack did tell Sam she had packing to do at the end of the SG1 episode
Daedelus will undoubtedly have shields, and maybe a variation of the anti-borg, I mean replicator, weapon the Asgard had on their ships but tuned to wraith biology. Or maybe those anti super soldier guns
Old 03-28-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdoug57
Think they will bring Thor or some other help from our universe?
Universe > Galaxy > Solar system

Same universe. Different galaxy.
Old 03-29-05, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikehunt
any chance SG1 people will be on Daedelus?
Jack did tell Sam she had packing to do at the end of the SG1 episode
Although that would be cool, I think the "next season" preview and the news about Richard Dean Anderson specifically may answer that question.
Old 05-09-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Well, I had all these on the Tivo and finally went through the whole season. On the whole it is a pretty good show. I didn't think I would like it but it was very enjoyable. It had its ups and downs, but for a first season that is to be expected.

I like the spin on the Atlantis mythology. I was surprised I enjoyed the cast as much as I did. I'm looking forward to season 2.

I appreciate the recap above, my Tivo cut off the last couple of minutes as well.