DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Yamakawa Multi Region DVD Player $29 after Rebate at eCost

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-05, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the ad:
Slim Line Progressive DVD Player ( Multi-Region Model )
The DVD-275 has all the options you dream of, since it not only plays DVD-Video and Audio-CDs and the popular MP3, WMA, VCD and SVCD formats but also supports the new media like DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW.
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/deta...229&Action=RAP

Mods, I wasn't sure if this should be in the Hardware Forum, since it is a bargain.
Old 03-25-05, 01:49 PM

good player

I have an earlier model of this DVD player and I am very happy with it.
Plays NTSC and PAL.
Old 03-28-05, 03:36 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does it do correct PAL -> NTSC conversion?
Old 03-28-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

someone mentioned in one of the DVD threads for eCost that they don't ever mail your rebate. I still have not received my rebate for the buy 2 get 1 free deal they had (about a month or so ago?)
Old 03-28-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been waiting on an eCost rebate since November. If you're buying it because of the rebate, DON'T.
Old 03-28-05, 11:36 PM

I've bought a lot of stuff from them and as long as I've fulfilled the requirements, I’ve gotten the rebates. One thing to watch out for is that the submission deadline for the rebates is like 10 days after the ship date. That usually means you have to send it in within a couple of days from when you receive it (unless you ship Next Day).
Old 03-28-05, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by eau
Does it do correct PAL -> NTSC conversion?
Reading the description in the ad and on Yamakawa's Web site, neither imply that it does conversion at all. It only says it supports both standards. I'm guessing that for PAL DVDs, it will output PAL. I don't know this for a fact, it's just my guess. Does anyone know otherwise?
Old 03-29-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, looking at the rebate form, it appears that the rebate is directly from the manufacturer and not through eCost.
Old 03-29-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FYI, I just got off the telephone with the Yamakawa manufacterer and the CSR was very helpful.

As for converting from PAL to NTSC, he says that if you connect the DVD player to a european TV set, it will play any DVD and display the image. If you connect the DVD player to a North American TV set, it will play any DVD and display the image. You just select which format to display.

An important note for Home Theater owners, this player only outputs in stereo (2 channels) and not 5.1. was about to go ahead and purchase this but that ruined it for me.
Old 03-29-05, 01:16 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by runner001
An important note for Home Theater owners, this player only outputs in stereo (2 channels) and not 5.1. was about to go ahead and purchase this but that ruined it for me.
Does it simply mean the unit doesn't have a 5.1 decoder onboard? It should have a digital or optical output to stream the audio to a receiver, shouldn't it?
Old 03-29-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on the fence about picking one of these up. I've been wanting a region free player. It's either this or the Philips 642.
Old 03-29-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The specifications from the Yamakawa website mention that the DVD player has both optical and coaxial digital outputs. It should output 5.1 if you have a receiver or preamp with a built in surround decoder.
Old 03-29-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
The specifications from the Yamakawa website mention that the DVD player has both optical and coaxial digital outputs. It should output 5.1 if you have a receiver or preamp with a built in surround decoder.
you sure about this because when i talked to the yamakawa rep the person said that it would not work and the best that would be would be dolby pro logic or something to that effect.
Old 03-29-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
you sure about this because when i talked to the yamakawa rep the person said that it would not work and the best that would be would be dolby pro logic or something to that effect.
Maybe you talked to someone that doesn't know anything, or the information on the web site is wrong?. Their own web site states that it has digital outs, which means it should do Dolby Digital if you have a capable receiver. If it was pro logic it would only have analog outputs. The specs even mention something about DTS output. However it would be nice if there was a rear view of the DVD player to confirm what it actually has on it.
Old 03-29-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i would like to know too. if in fact i can connect the DVD player to my receiver and still get 5.1 surround sound, then i'm gonna get this item.
Old 03-29-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe you talked to someone that doesn't know anything, or the information on the web site is wrong?. Their own web site states that it has digital outs, which means it should do Dolby Digital if you have a capable receiver. If it was pro logic it would only have analog outputs. The specs even mention something about DTS output. However it would be nice if there was a rear view of the DVD player to confirm what it actually has on it.
laser, there is a rear view of the dvd player under "pictures" tab on the page for the DVD-275

edit: so if they have the digital out, then that means it can put out surround sound?
Old 03-29-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Confusing... From the manufacturer website:

Audio proccessing: 2 channel downmix audio output for all Dolby
programs
DTS digital output

Digital audio output: Coaxial [S/PDIF(IEC958)]
Optical

Old 03-29-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

laser, there is a rear view of the dvd player under "pictures" tab on the page for the DVD-275

edit: so if they have the digital out, then that means it can put out surround sound?
Thanks, I didn't notice the tab the first time. I would find it hard to believe that it wouldn't do 5.1 with digital outs. I never heard of a DVD player before that wouldn't with digital outputs. However, I know some of the early DVD players couldn't output DTS surround DVDs since they were released before the specs were finalized for the discs. It does look like the other models say they will do DD 5.1 but they also appear to have a built in decoder with a 6 channel output. I guess the easiest way to find out is if someone owns an actual player.
Old 03-29-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by siegfried
I have an earlier model of this DVD player and I am very happy with it.
Plays NTSC and PAL.
Does your model output 5.1 surround?
Old 03-29-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bralph
Confusing... From the manufacturer website:
so bralph in your opinion, does that mean it will or will not put out 5.1 surround sound?
Old 03-29-05, 06:01 PM

The DVD-275 does output DD & DTS-5.1/6.1 (using COAX)!!! I have the unit!!! After Video Calibrating everything using DVE (Toshiba 50H81), ... "The Incredibles" looked glorious!!! I'm extremely happy with my $29 Progressive Scan DVD Unit!!!

This is my second Yamakawa Multi-Region DVD player model, bought the DVD-238 (includes built-in DD-5.1 Decoder outputs) last OCT. 2004 ($34 after rebate) & received my Rebate from eCost (+ 2% back from an affliate rebate Internet website)

FYI: So far, I have received ALL, ... submitted eCost rebates, ... about 5 Rebates total!

Phil

Last edited by Phil I; 03-29-05 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Phil I
The DVD-275 does output DD & DTS-5.1/6.1 (using COAX)!!! I have the unit!!!
Well that settles that dispute.
Old 03-29-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks all that contributed to this thread in finding out if it outputs surround sound. I just ordered mine.

FYI: shipping is free but they charged me a handling charge. I called them up just now and told the rep that other sites (pcmall.com, onsale.com, etc) are offering the same product, same rebate, but free shipping (not exactly) and that I have ordered from eCost before and am familiar with their service and would like to order from them but for $44 flat (no handling charge). He looked up my account and said okay!
Old 03-29-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the info. My friend has been holding out on buying a DVD player until he found a cheap all-region deal.
Old 03-29-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 896 Likes on 721 Posts
PAL-->NTSC conversion

Can anyone *definitely* confirm that this unit properly converts anamorphic PAL DVDS to NTSC correctly without any stretching. If it does, it is one hell of a bargain for only $29.00. My guess is it has the "stretching" bug as every other player below $200 seems to have.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.