Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why Do All Cd Wallets I've Tried Scratch My Dvds?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any cd-wallets out there that won't? It seems they all require you to slide your discs in & out, or up & down....thus, causing multiple scuffs on mine.
I remember laserline had a cd wallet in which you snap in your movies like into an amaray case. But they are nowhere to be found. any help?
Old 03-24-05, 05:55 PM

Only use cases by Caselogic. I have never had any problems with them. I only use them for cdr's though.
Old 03-24-05, 07:51 PM

I have only used CaseLogic since I starting buying DVDs and games. I won't ever trust anything else.
Old 03-24-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up one from a UK media store that has soft felt lining within each pocket, so it doesn't scratch the disks at all when you slide them in and out.

I wish the same was true for the CD player in my car ...
Old 03-25-05, 12:23 AM

Case logic is exactly what I used and about 80% of my dvds stored inside are scuffed up especially cd-rs.
Old 03-25-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally Posted by babka
I remember laserline had a cd wallet in which you snap in your movies like into an amaray case. But they are nowhere to be found. any help?
I bought a wallet like that last year in Japan. It has 6 "pages" that allows you to snap a disc to the back and front of them (so it holds 12) and it has an outer case that zips up. It's as safe as using a DVD keepcase. Is it true that they are difficult to find now? I thought that it was a very logical, safe way to store the discs in the wallet.
Old 03-25-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Because they are made for CDs.
Old 03-25-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by babka
Case logic is exactly what I used and about 80% of my dvds stored inside are scuffed up especially cd-rs.
Caselogic is no different than the rest of the stuff that's out there. High quality CD wallets are rare. I guess the makers figure that people who buy CD wallets aren't too concerned about keeping them safe. But it sounds like Squirrel God found one.

In addition to scratches, be careful for warped discs. Make sure that the binder spine is large enough so that when full, each page lays flush on the stack of pages and isn't squeezed on one side.
Old 03-25-05, 11:16 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
don't line the wallet with grating metal!
Old 03-25-05, 11:48 AM

Echoing what others have said, if you're truly worried about scratching/scuffing your discs AND you absolutely must have some sort of space-saving wallet/binder to hold them in, then you've got to find one that lets you snap in the discs. They're the only safe bet--but the discs-held to space-used ratio isn't going to be as good as those slide-in wallets (which I would never put DVDs in).
Old 03-26-05, 07:56 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
In a word . . . friction.
Old 03-26-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
I bought a wallet like that last year in Japan. It has 6 "pages" that allows you to snap a disc to the back and front of them (so it holds 12) and it has an outer case that zips up. It's as safe as using a DVD keepcase. Is it true that they are difficult to find now? I thought that it was a very logical, safe way to store the discs in the wallet.
Well unless the "snap" is a soft snap with alot of give like a keepcase, you are putting way too much pressure on the inner rim of your DVD, and that is almost as bad as scratching it.
Old 03-26-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Well unless the "snap" is a soft snap with alot of give like a keepcase, you are putting way too much pressure on the inner rim of your DVD, and that is almost as bad as scratching it.
No problem there, the hubs are almost identical to the ones in an average keepcase (and made of a soft plastic material with plenty of give). No more stress is involved than there would be by keeping them in a keepcase. Believe me, I'm just as anal about the condition of my discs as most here are, and the wallet I have is perfectly safe for my discs.
Old 03-26-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been using CaseIt brand cd cases for my dvd collection for some time, and currently have 9 of their LL-ORG-72 model cd organizers full of dvds and not one disc has ever been scratched. I know they're listed as "cd" organizers, but trust me, they work like a charm on DVDs.

Each binder holds 72 discs, and they are held in a microwoven mesh sleeve, not the hairy, worn-cotton-looking material used by caselogic and others. The real key for me, though is the clear vinyl flap that covers the entire front-facing portion of the disc. This is especially clutch for discs like "Ray" and the single-disc versions of the terminator series, for example, where the movie is on one side and special features on the other, or TV series like The West Wing where there are episodes on both sides. Either side of the disc is protected at all times and the discs slide in and out very freely with no damage done.

If this sounds like a commercial it's because it took so long to find a mass-disc-storage binder that left my discs well-protected and unscratched. After my first two binders were filled I looked everywhere for more of these and couldn't find them in any store, but you can direct-order them from the website and they're reasonably priced. Here's the link: http://www.caseit.com/view.asp?idpro...ubdepartment=2

Hope it helps. Cheers.

Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 03-26-05 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-27-05, 12:29 AM
Banned

Yeah, way back in the days they used to sell some massive cd case holders that were "snap-in's" instead of the felt lined ones that are common nowadays. I've been looking for a snap-in case for awhile now too. . . .no luck yet. . not even on ebay.
Old 03-29-05, 09:20 AM
Cool New Member

Try this.

http://www.slappa.com

The best cd/dvd case I've used. If you look around you can find better prices than on the site. Still worth is though.