Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Warner's Film Noir V.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-05, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warner's Film Noir V.2

Details for Warner's second box set of film noir are up over at DVD Times. The titles in the set are Born to Kill, Clash By Night, Crossfire, Dillinger and The Narrow Margin.
Also announced was John Boorman’s classic neo-noir, Point Blank. Release date is July 5. Excellent news!
Old 03-23-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 03-23-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

badass. these warner sets are great stuff!
Old 03-23-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
From DVD Times:
Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Film Noir Classic Collection Volume Two for 5th July 2005. Hollywood’s legendary tough guys and femme fatales collide again with this second collection which includes five smouldering classics, all new to DVD and all digitally remastered: Born to Kill, Clash By Night, Crossfire, Dillinger and The Narrow Margin.

The movies star film noir icons Robert Mitchum, Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Ryan, Lawrence Tierney and Claire Trevor, among others, and feature commentaries from film historians and directors including Robert Wise on Born To Kill Peter Bogdanovich, with archival contributions from Fritz Lang, on Clash By Night; John Milius on Dillinger and William Friedkin and Richard Fleischer on The Narrow Margin.

In addition to the Collection, John Boorman’s (Deliverance, Excalibur) classic neo-noir, Point Blank, will also make its DVD debut featuring commentary from Boorman and director Steven Soderbergh.

Titles will be available in both a five-disc set, for $49.92 SRP, or individually for $19.97 SRP.

About The Film Noir Classic Collection Volume Two

Born to Kill (1947)
Director Robert Wise (The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Sound of Music, West Side Story) showed his versatility with this dark gem -- a mix of heiress sisters, stone-hearted men, needy hangers-on and illicit but inevitable love. Walter Slezak portrays the verse-quoting shamus and Claire Trevor and Lawrence Tierney are lovers who play with fire… and burn their names forever into film-noir lore.

DVD special features include:
Commentary by film historian Eddie Muller with archival contributions by director Robert Wise
Subtitles: English, French & Spanish

Clash by Night (1952)
Film noir master Fritz Lang (M, The Big Heat, Ministry of Fear) directs Barbara Stanwyck, Paul Douglas, Robert Ryan and rising star Marilyn Monroe in a stark tale of lives burnished by human emotion and shattered by human failings. Intense and powerfully realistic, Clash by Night (from a Clifford Odets play) is about many towns and many families, all serene on the surface but boiling underneath with desperation.

Commentary by filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich with archival contributions by director Fritz Lang
Theatrical Trailer

Crossfire (1947)
Robert Mitchum, Robert Young and Robert Ryan star in this landmark film noir nominated for five Academy Awards® including Best Picture. Edward Dmytryk (Murder, My Sweet) directs, draping the genre’s stylistic backdrops and flourishes around the controversial subject of anti-Semitism, a topic rarely explored in American films.

Commentary by film historians Alain Silver and James Ursini with archival contributions by director Edward Dmytryk
Featurette Crossfire: Hate is like a Gun

Dillinger (1945)
Oscar-nominated for its screenplay, this is a bullet-paced story of the legendary gangster whose crimes captivated and terrified the nation. Lawrence Tierney plays the title role, breaking free of screen anonymity and moving into a 50-year tough-guy career that would range from Born to Kill up through Reservoir Dogs.

Commentary by filmmaker John Milius (director of the 1973 Dillinger) with archival contributions by writer Philip Yordan
Theatrical Trailer

The Narrow Margin (1952)
The Oscar-nominated story, directed by Richard Fleischer (Fantastic Voyage, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea) and scripted by his frequent collaborator Earl Felton, zigzags with surprise turns. Film noir favorite Charles McGraw plays a cop guarding a gangster’s moll (fellow genre icon Marie Windsor) as she travels west to testify before a grand jury. Also riding the Pullmans are two determined hit men who know the moll is on the train but don’t know what she looks like. The film was remade in 1990 with Gene Hackman and Anne Archer.

Commentary by filmmaker William Friedkin with archival contributions by director Richard Fleischer
Theatrical Trailer

Point Blank (1967)
Based on Donald E. Westlake’s novel The Hunter, Point Blank is an edgy neo-noir that merges a classic revenge story with imaginative New Wave style. Directed by John Boorman (Deliverance), Point Blank stars Lee Marvin in full anti-hero mode as a thief out for payback. The film also features an outstanding supporting cast that includes Angie Dickenson, Carroll O’Connor and Keenan Wynn.

Commentary by directors John Boorman and Steven Soderbergh
Vintage Featurettes: The Rock Part 1 and The Rock Part 2
Theatrical Trailer
Old 03-23-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice! I really can't get enough of film noir lately.
Old 03-23-05, 03:43 PM
MrN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love these sets and with a price that can't be beat!

I'm guessing that Point Blank will be priced like the others...?
Old 03-23-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Wow, another home run by Warner!

Can't wait. The month before has Fox Noir Wave 2 coming out. It will be a summer of Noir!
Old 03-23-05, 03:54 PM

Surprised by some of the choices (Clash by Night?) given the wealth of material they have. Dillinger is a great flick, though.
Old 03-23-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Whoa! In excitement, I just dumped a bunch of my DNA all over my keyboard.
Old 03-23-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by js097
Surprised by some of the choices (Clash by Night?) given the wealth of material they have. Dillinger is a great flick, though.
Not that I doubt you or anything, but what are some other Noirs that Warner owns which are unavailable on DVD?
Old 03-23-05, 04:48 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Glad to see The Narrow Margin is included. It's arguably my favorite movie of the genre.
Old 03-23-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Glad to see The Narrow Margin is included. It's arguably my favorite movie of the genre.
Me, too.
Originally Posted by js097
Surprised by some of the choices (Clash by Night?) given the wealth of material they have.
It's not my favorite either, but between Fritz Lang and Marilyn Monroe, it's sure to sell a few copies.

Last edited by Gerry P.; 03-23-05 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-23-05, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by natevines
Not that I doubt you or anything, but what are some other Noirs that Warner owns which are unavailable on DVD?
This is a short list of film noirs that I'm pretty sure Warner controls.

Cornered- Edward Dmytryk 1945
The Live By Night- Nicholas Ray 1949
The Woman in the Window- Fritz Lang 1944
While the City Sleeps- Fritz Lang 1956
Desperate- Anthony Mann 1947
Angel Face- Otto Preminger 1953*
New York Confidnetial- Russell Rouse 1955
Beware, My Lovely- Harry Horner 1952
Bodyguard- Richard Fleisher 1949
Cry Danger- Robert Parrish 1951
The Mask of Dimitrios- Jean Negulesco 1944
Possessed- Curtis Bernhardt 1947
Macao- Josef von Sternberg 1952*
The Big Steal- Don Siegel*

* denotes available in R2

Of that list, I would have rathered Warner switch out Lang's Clash By Night with The Woman in the Window. The Big Steal is also something I'd really like to have seen this time around but then I'm all for having all of Don Siegel's output on DVD. Same thing with They Live By Night and the work of Nicholas Ray.
Crossfire, The Narrow Margin and Born to Kill are the big winners in the set for me. Clash by Night is good, it's been a long time since I've seen it and I've never seen Dillinger.
Old 03-23-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Possessed (1947) is being released by WB both separately and as part of The Joan Crawford Collection box set. See Cameron's thread below:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415376

Like others, I'm a bit surprised by some of the selections in Film Noir V. 2 and I'm wondering if the filmmakers doing the commentaries may have had direct input in the selections.

Personally, nothing in the box set equals Point Blank, one of my "DVD Holy Grails."
Old 03-23-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great news.
Old 03-23-05, 07:17 PM

I really like that commentary line-up.
Old 03-23-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll take what I'm given...and love it.
Old 03-23-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I haven't seen a minute of any of these, and I'm all over this set.

Warner Brothers has done such a great job with their classic film output over the last couple of years that I will order this set sight unseen - everything else I've gotten from them lately has just been outstanding!

Bring on the Noir!
Old 03-23-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

great news
Old 03-24-05, 01:24 AM

I've only seen "Crossfire", but I'm not a huge fan of it. But I'll be getting the set, and maybe the "Crossfire" commentary will lead me to a greater appreciation.
Old 03-24-05, 01:34 AM

Great news! Point Blank was at the top of my unreleased dvd list.
Old 03-24-05, 04:44 AM

How did I miss this earlier when I scanned through the board? Point Blank is one of my favorite films, if not in my top 5. This is by far the best upcoming release announcement since I have been collecting DVD's. Great news.
Old 03-25-05, 08:00 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Point Blank deserved a thread of its own. I had to find out about it from another board.
Old 03-25-05, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
"My spoon is too big."

[/offtopic]

-JP
Old 03-28-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 838 Posts
Wanna hear something funny? After seeing a news item with the header "Film Noir 2" on the site I review for, a female reader sent an e-mail to the owner of the site accusing the site of being racist. My guess, she doesn't have a clue what a film noir is. I hope she doesn't see this thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.