Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone heard this new RUSH tribute cd?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

"SUBDIVISIONS"

It's got some interesting versions of RUSH songs although not enough for me to buy it. There's some pretty famous people playing and singing on it too.
Old 03-22-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Too bad it doesn't list who performs on it. Might be worth checking out. Have to look for it on eBay or something.

In answer to your title question, I can name one Talker who has probably heard it.
Old 03-23-05, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't care for this too much but then again I didn't really like these artists when they were popular in the 90s. I have a hard time listening to Kip Winger sing one of my favorite Rush tunes.
Old 03-23-05, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ugh...Kip Winger doing the lead vocals in Limelight...I think I just threw up a little in my mouth...
Old 03-23-05, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Too bad it doesn't list who performs on it. Might be worth checking out. Have to look for it on eBay or something.

In answer to your title question, I can name one Talker who has probably heard it.

Huh?

From amazon's link I posted...

Featuring Performances By: Sebastian Bach (Skid Row); Robert Berry ("3", Ambrosia); Dave Brooks (Slammin' Gladys): Dominic Cifarelli (Pulse Ultra); Jeff Feldman (Pulse Ultra); Stu Hamm (Joe Satriani, Steve Vai): Daniel J. (Solo Artist, Jordan Rudess); Randy Jackson (Zebra); Andreas Kisser (Sepultura); Jani Lane (Warrant); Mike Mangini (Extreme, Steve Vai); Vinnie Moore (Solo Artist, UFO); Alex Skolnick (Solo Artist, Testament, Tran Siberian Orchestra, Attention Deficit); Jeff Stinco (Simple Plan); Kip Winger (Winger)

Tracklist: "Distant Early Warning" - Lead Vocals: Randy Jackson; Guitar Solo: Daniel J. "Lakeside Park" - Lead Vocals: Sebastian Bach; Guitar Solo: Daniel J. "Limelight" - Lead Vocals: Kip Winger; Guitar Solo: Andreas Kisser "Subdivisions" - Lead Vocals: Randy Jackson; Guitar Solo: Dominic Cifarelli; Keys: Jeff Feldman "Different Strings" - Lead Vocals: Robert Berry; Guitar Solo: Robert Berry "Tom Sawyer" - Lead Vocals: Sebastian Bach; Guitar Solo: Dominic Cifarelli; Keys: Jeff Feldman "Bastille Day" - Lead Vocals: Jani Lane; Guitar Solo: Alex Skolnick "A Farewell To Kings" - Lead Vocals: Randy Jackson; Guitar Solo: Andreas Kisser "Spirit Of the Radio" - Lead Vocals: Kip Winger; Guitar Solo: Jeff Stinco "Didacts and Narpets" - Drums: Mike Mangini "2112 Overture/Temples Of Syrinx" - Lead Vocals: Jani Lane; Guitar Solo: Vinnie Moore

Rhythm Guitars Tracks - Vinnie Moore Bass Tracks - Stu Hamm Drum Tracks - Mike Mangini Keyboards - Robert Berry Keyboards - Jeff Feldman Keyboards - Trent Gardner
Old 03-23-05, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
Ugh...Kip Winger doing the lead vocals in Limelight...I think I just threw up a little in my mouth...
Old 03-23-05, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got the first tribute album Working Man, and while it was cool at first it did not stand the test of time; and I don't think this album is going to either. All of these artists are well past their prime and it seems like a pretty crappy album to me. Where are all the recent artists like Metallica, 3 Doors Down, Tool, Godsmack hell even Primus and Tim McGraw, if they were on the album I would buy it. Sadly this album is made by has-beens that are trying to resurrect a dead career by singing Rush songs.
Old 03-23-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I got the first tribute album Working Man, and while it was cool at first it did not stand the test of time; and I don't think this album is going to either. All of these artists are well past their prime and it seems like a pretty crappy album to me. Where are all the recent artists like Metallica, 3 Doors Down, Tool, Godsmack hell even Primus and Tim McGraw, if they were on the album I would buy it. Sadly this album is made by has-beens that are trying to resurrect a dead career by singing Rush songs.
Yeah I know what you mean. Like i said, some of the songs were interesting versions but not good enough for me to buy it. In fact, now that I think of it, some of the songs seemed to be "80-ized". In other words it seems like they put an "80's" sound to some of the songs. One of the things that stood out like sore thumb was the the guitar shredding. I mean come on, although Lifeson is one the guitar greats, he doesn't do that 80's "shred"* shit. Also the Keyboards were crap next to the "shred" intros and solos added much to the 80's sound.

* Shredding = a million guitar notes played a million miles an hour. i.e. Yngwie Malsteen and various other 80's guitar "greats".

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-24-05 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-23-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I must have missed the link to the album info. It's not like Amazon doesn't already have two million things to click on for each item.

Wow. If just one track left a bad taste (literally) in Knight's mouth, maybe I should reconsider.
Old 03-23-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Doesn't Magna Carta release nothing but "tribute" albums, usually with the same bunch of out-of-work 80's leftovers?
Old 03-25-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know this is blasphemy, but Kip Winger has a much better voice than Geddy Lee.
Fact.
Most of the musicians on this tribute are more talented than any member of Rush. BTW I love Rush.
Old 03-26-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I know this is blasphemy, but Kip Winger has a much better voice than Geddy Lee.
Fact.
Most of the musicians on this tribute are more talented than any member of Rush. BTW I love Rush.
I'm sure they'd love you too, especially if they learned how talentless you think they are.
Old 03-26-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Fact.
Fact. Most of the musicians on this tribute are in fact much more talented than they are given credit for.

Fact. Kip Winger does in fact have an excellent singing voice.

Fact. None of them are as talented as the boys in Rush. Sorry.
Old 03-26-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fact.
not even going to dignify this with a response.
Old 03-26-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by palebluedot
I didn't care for this too much but then again I didn't really like these artists when they were popular in the 90s. I have a hard time listening to Kip Winger sing one of my favorite Rush tunes.
With Kip Winger doing vocals on "Limelight" i will definately check this out, yes i am a Winger fan, especially there 1993 "Pull" album, in my opinion one of the best rock albums to come out of the dreadful 90's.
Old 03-26-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
not even going to dignify this with a response.
Ok i will totally agree on the Kip Winger over Geddy Lee voice comparison, and yes i'm a huge Rush fan myself, but when it comes to drummer Neil Peart there is no comparison with any of the drummers on this album, he is so much better, also guitarist Alex Lifeson is in my opinion a better guitar player than any of these guitarist on this album, also like to note i noticed Stu Hamm is playing some bass on the album he is one of the greatest bass players i have ever heard.
Old 08-16-05, 12:01 PM

I found this link way late for the discussion, but I'm adding my two cents anyway. Rush is a totally awesome band and I'm glad to hear about this tribute album, but I am a HUGE Kip Winger fan and to hear him referred to as an 80's has-been is complete bullsh**!! I've been to several of his live solo shows and there ain't NOTHING has-been about his talent. He was great with the band, but his talent is lightyears from what it was. Some of the comments made here have obviously been made by people that have never seen Kip perform, but if they ever shut their mouths and went to see him, I guarantee they will leave eating their words.
Old 08-16-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by maddy
I found this link way late for the discussion, but I'm adding my two cents anyway. Rush is a totally awesome band and I'm glad to hear about this tribute album, but I am a HUGE Kip Winger fan and to hear him referred to as an 80's has-been is complete bullsh**!! I've been to several of his live solo shows and there ain't NOTHING has-been about his talent. He was great with the band, but his talent is lightyears from what it was. Some of the comments made here have obviously been made by people that have never seen Kip perform, but if they ever shut their mouths and went to see him, I guarantee they will leave eating their words.

Is this Kip's 'ma' posting? Welcome.
Old 08-16-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
No kidding. Kip, do you need your momma to defend you?
Old 08-16-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maddy
...but if they ever shut their mouths and went to see him, I guarantee they will leave eating their words.
Actually, I would leave eating the nachos I bought at the concession stand two songs into his set.
Old 08-16-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

BRUTAL!
Old 08-18-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Driving home the other night, I was all excited to hear Rush on XM's "Artist Confidential" until I realized it was just Geddy and Alex talking. Bottom line:

NO NEIL = NO SALE
Old 08-18-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Neil has never really done the media thing much over the years, so you can't really fault him for that. I got to talk to Alex and Geddy a few years back on Rockline, and I got an autographed CD out of it...I wasn't complaining.
Old 08-19-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Well, Neil has never really done the media thing much over the years, so you can't really fault him for that.

True dat. Lee and Lifeson have always handled PR stuff for as long as I can remember.