Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeff Foxworthy roast on Comedy Central - 03/20

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Jeff Foxworthy roast on Comedy Central - 03/20

Not nearly as funny as the Friars Club roasts. The fact that Foxworthy has sold more comedy albums than anyone in history was brought up several times, but the biggest name at the roast was Colin Quinn.
Nick DiPaulo and Greg Giraldo performed, as well as some female insult comic of whom no one has ever heard. Of course, the three other guys from the Blue Collar Comedy Tour were hosting. That BCCT is on Comedy Central every 5 minutes lately, but I've never caught the entire thing. The Tater Salad guy tells some funny stories.
Old 03-20-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Denis Leary's roast last year sucked ass. I don't think I laughed once. Why don't they do the Friar's Roasts anymore?

I was going to record this Roast, but not sure I want to now. Not as entertaining without all the big names there.
Old 03-20-05, 11:51 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I believe the Friars decided to stop letting Comedy Central air it.

Ron White is the only one from the group that I find funny. I missed the first half hour but from what I saw Giraldo was the only one that was any good.

Comedy Central will be airing this uncenesored next Saturday so they can break up the Jay and Silet Bob Strike Back/South Park:BLU rotation they have going one right now.
Old 03-20-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
I believe the Friars decided to stop letting Comedy Central air it.

Ron White is the only one from the group that I find funny. I missed the first half hour but from what I saw Giraldo was the only one that was any good.

Comedy Central will be airing this uncenesored next Saturday so they can break up the Jay and Silet Bob Strike Back/South Park:BLU rotation they have going one right now.
Greg Geraldo was the only funny one. There's only so many redneck jokes you can tell.
Old 03-20-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The female comic had the funniest act of the entire nite...Oh, Also Nick De Paolo...This was soooo much better than Chevy Chase and Dennis Leary but doesn't compare to Drew Carey or Hugh Hefner.
Old 03-21-05, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SleepyW
Why don't they do the Friar's Roasts anymore?
The Friar's club wanted Comedy Central to pay them and CC didn't feel that they needed to. So they made their own show, which is awful.
Old 03-21-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Colin Quinn effectively demonstrated why he can't hold down a job. When he has someone else writing for him (SNL's Weekend Update, for example), he can be pretty funny. But when he writes his own stuff, he's horrible. You could tell the laughter from the guys on stage was forced, and the audience hated him.

I think the whole evening was rather awkward, because you're saluting a guy that doesn't work blue, and at least 2 of the 3 roasters (don't remember about White) also don't work blue. So what do you do? Get a bunch of blue comics up there. Not a good combination. Especially when they aren't funny and use profanity to try and cover for it.
Old 03-21-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
The Friar's club wanted Comedy Central to pay them and CC didn't feel that they needed to. So they made their own show, which is awful.
From the lineup of this show, I guess that means that most successful comics are Friars.

If you have your own roast and the biggest guest is Colin Quinn, you might be a redneck.
Old 03-21-05, 09:47 AM

It's strange having a roast without Jeffery Ross being involved somehow. It's like the Godfather movies without Fredo, he wasn't your favorite, but he still needs to be there for the movie to work. It's not like he has a ton of other work coming his way, and in the past he's had a pathological desire to be at every roast on the face of the planet. I guess it's loyalty to the friar's club that keeps him away.

This year was worse then the Denis Leary roast for one, actually two good reasons, Elizabeth Hurley and Gina Gershon. At the Leary Roast, Elizabeth Hurley was completely overdressed for the occasion and looked incredibly stunning, even more so then usual. She didn't have anything to do on the show, so every few minutes you'd just get a quick reaction shot that was in wonderful contrast to the mostly male comedian audience, and would melt a little bit of your heart every time. Maybe that last part was just me. Gina Gershon mearly had on a cabaret uniform on and sang a horrible song, which no one seemed to notice all that much, for good reason. I forgot she sang a song at all until I caught a rerun. None of that happened this year, so there wasn't much to distract from the comedy itself.

Last edited by BabiG; 03-21-05 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-21-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why was there some unknown rap group as the entertainment part of this show? Are there two things that go together any better than rap and redneck jokes? I thought most of the comedians where funny. Ron White was stale which is surprising since I think he is the funniest of all the blue collar comics. The whole thing was ackward. You think Dennis Leary, Colin Quin and his group of comics have anything to do with Jeff Foxworthy other than being on Comedy Central? I thought roasts involved friends of the person getting roasted?