Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Nevere Played A Zelda Game. What To Expect?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw in this weekend's TRU flyer that some of the classic NES games for GBA will be 2 for $20, including the first two Zelda games. I've never played any of the Zelda games, and I have no idea what they are like. Are they RPGs? Action/Adventure? Run around and collect a bunch a crap? What can I expect? Are these two games the best place to start?
Old 03-19-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I'm not familiar with the gameboy games you are referring to, but Zelda has a little bit of everything you mentioned plus sidequests, lots of puzzles, and fun. There is lots of fun when playing a zelda title... unless you are sailing in Wind Waker
Old 03-19-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm not familiar with the gameboy games you are referring to, but Zelda has a little bit of everything you mentioned plus sidequests, lots of puzzles, and fun. There is lots of fun when playing a zelda title... unless you are sailing in Wind Waker
The titles are "Legend Of Zelda" and "Adventures Of Link".
Old 03-19-05, 03:11 PM

These GBA games are the original first two Zeldas ported to the GBA. By current genre definitions, the first one at least is probably more Adventure than RPG, as you don't have a character sheet per se to increase stats on. You gain strength by collecting hearts (hit points) and heart containers, which increase your max hearts. You will find more powerful items such as stronger swords and shields, plus the boomerang and the bow and arrows, which will making fighting the tougher enemies easier.

The game is focused on puzzle solving, for example you can use bombs to blow open holes in walls or the candle to burn down trees to find secret rooms. Exploration is the name of the game - pretty much the whole map is open to you right from the start, except for areas that require certain items to access. So you can jump into dungeon 1 (when you find it) right away, or you can explore and get heart containers from the world map first, if you want. It's up to you.

By today's standards, I think these games require more thought and effort, so be prepared to be frustrated Nevertheless, I highly recommend them!

I don't remember as much about the second game, except that I believe that during battles the camera switches to side-scroll rather than overhead. I played them both when they came out (I was a geek even in elementary school!) so it's been kind of a long time
Old 03-19-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The second is a far cry from the first and really a different step in the series. Zelda games are action-adventure with real time combat and lots of exploration. You travel a world and are blocked access to some areas and need items to go further. Typically you go to dungeons and conquer bosses in each one, get a new item and whatever the quest item you need is (pendants, Triforce pieces, etc.). Extra items to find include heart containers for more life, potions, bonus weapons, etc.

The original NES game is much simplier in overal design, but still a very rewarding game and my personal favorite (since it was my introduction into the series when it was released). There are 9 total dungeons with various items that gain you access to further dungeons/areas. Not all dungeons need to be beat in numerical order, a couple can be done "out of turn." There is a lot of extra items to find in the world, some very hard to find. The world is not as "full" as later Zelda games, as it lacks any kind of town, etc. But, there are a few random people to help you out. The game relies a lot on you just pushing forward and figuring things out for yourself and finding the next step.

The second game has an overhead world map that you travel around, and takes you into combat and dungeons in a side-scrolling format. You still get new items, as well as magic, and attempt to beat bosses, etc. You do get one RPG element in that you level up and choose between three stats. For $10, I'd say it is worth it Zelda completists, but as a blind-buy I am not sure. I enjoy it for what it is, but know some people are turned off by it.

Last edited by outer-edge; 03-19-05 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-19-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
For $10 the first one is a definite, it was revolutionary for it's time. The second game changed a lot of the dynamics, not the least of which making it sidescrolling.

This will sound odd to some, but I think when a game changes dimensions, it's no longer the same game. I've tried the 3D Zelda games and they just aren't the same. I've played the 3D Mario games, and they're just not the same. I play only the top down Zelda games and the sidescrolling Mario games. Just my thing.

Luigi's Mansion is an odd exemption, the concept of "ghostbusting" for me, outweighs the fact that they made a Mario character 3D. Very fun game.
Old 03-21-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for all the help! I'll pick up the first game and pass on "The Adventures Of Link" for now. Since it's 2 for $20, I'll probably pick up "Metroid", as well. (Never played that, either!)
Old 03-21-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Gamblor187
What can I expect?
Lack of sleep and some sore thumbs for sure!