Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Now that GET A LIFE is OOP, can we expect a full season release?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 149 Posts

Does the fact that Rhino's two GET A LIFE DVDs are OOP mean that they lost the rights to it? If so, does this mean somebody will finally release a full season 1 and 2 of GET A LIFE instead of Rhino's crummy tactic of only releasing 4 episodes each from both seasons? I'd love to have every episode of this Chris Elliott show finally available on DVD.
Old 03-19-05, 01:28 AM
Premium Member

Received 724 Likes on 477 Posts
Being that "Now" has been about 2 years, and there has been no news, you might wanna check out the usual "alternative channels" if you want to get all the eps...

Haven't heard of any move for this to DVD in the last year or so, and you would have seen it here if there was news.
Old 03-19-05, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they ever do release season sets, they need to keep the option of turning off the laugh-track available (like Rhino had). Much funnier watching the shows without the canned laughter.
Old 03-19-05, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts
Oh how I wish this would be released as complete seasons. This is in my top 3 wants not yet on DVD.
Old 03-19-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I would love to have an official copy of this.

I did buy all of the episodes via eBay but it was less than legit.
Old 03-19-05, 09:22 PM

I'd love this to be released too. I'd buy it in a second!
Old 03-19-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would definately pick up a season set of this one if it ever becomes available. I refuse to buy best ofs, and would agree on the optional laugh track (or just remove it comepletely), but would get it either way.
Old 03-19-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the company that owns the rights, i forget who it is now, had a list of tv shows you could vote to get released. i remember Get A Life had a pretty strong showing but i guess nothing really came from it. i would buy it in a minute, especially the first season.
Old 03-21-05, 12:34 PM

This is my top TV want that's not on DVD. Optional laugh track would be great also. Let hope they put out the complete series in one box set.
Old 03-21-05, 01:12 PM

I'd buy em for sure!
Old 03-21-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
Some of the later episodes were written by recent Oscar winner Charlie Kaufman.
Old 03-21-05, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love for this to be released!
Old 10-24-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4354

Based on the above, it looks like Sony is planning on releasing the first season - Chris Elliott has recorded commentaries and they've done a featurette.

All I can say is YES! The 8 episodes I have on DVD are not enough. When I think of past TV shows that don't have full season sets yet and would be must-buys for me, all that's left is pretty much this show, "Ed" and "MST3K" (but the latter will never happen). Wonder what kind of legal red tape is holding this up.

Last edited by DJLinus; 10-24-05 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-24-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh man
Old 10-24-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was at a reading that CE gave 2 weeks or so ago, and he basically said exactly what was in that link, but he specifically mentioned David Mirkin as the person who was standing in the way of Sony releasing the discs.

No specifics, but the implication was that he wanted more money than Sony was willing to pay. No big surprise there. I still find it shocking that one person's greed can hold up an entire release, especially when, it seems, the discs are ready to go...

-jason

Last edited by fuzzbox; 10-24-05 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-24-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fuzzbox

I still find it shocking that one person's greed can hold up an entire release, especially when, it seems, the discs are ready to go...

-jason
Devil's advocate here...

What makes him greedy? He did write and direct the show. It's his work, why shouldn't he get to choose what someone pays for it. I don't disagree, but I wonder why he is greedy...while someone like Mike Judge held up the Office Space Special Edition, and Beavis and Butthead releases for the same kind of reasons...Judge still hasn't done a commentary of release his cartoons for office space. He made it clear in Entertainment weekly that Fox didn't want to pay him for it.
Old 10-24-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You're not being a devil's advocate. That's the only rational way of looking at it. Lots of people on this forum are cheap, greedy, etc., and that's just in their private lives as consumers. This guy is trying to make more money off his work and he's somehow blameworthy? Is it because he's a "big shot"? Or is it based on some misguided belief that studios and artists have an obligation to release their work to the public? How do we even know that the studio offered him a fair deal? I just don't understand the reasoning.
Old 10-24-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If not greedy, it certainly seems like he's shooting himself in the foot; instead of taking what Sony offered, he demanded more, and wound up with nothing.

Incidentally, Cameron, his ability to hold out is almost certainly not because he was a writer/director for the show; the studio would retain the rights to the scripts (though they'd have to pay him something) and the episodes he directed. It's because he was an executive producer that he has any power in the situation.

Also, I don't think the Mike Judge comparison is apt; Judge didn't want to do new work on the shows for free (new commentary, documentary stuff), and never has (as far as I understand the 'King of the Hill' discs, anyway; I don't own them); Mirkin is holding out for more money for a job he completed ten years ago. I'm not saying he's in the wrong (or the right), but -- assuming the summary of what Chris Elliot said is accurate, and true -- they're two fairly different situations.
Old 10-24-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I suppose I was more vague than I should have been. Maybe it isn't Mirkin being Greedy, but Sony being CHEAP ;-)

Either way, I just wish it would be settled so I can buy the DVDs...

-jason
Old 04-01-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Now that GET A LIFE is OOP, can we expect a full season release?

Woo-hoo! It's about time. (This ain't no April Fool.)

Get A Life: The Complete Series is finally coming to DVD
by Sean O'Neal March 30, 2012

Shout Factory long ago established itself as the Mr. Smith Goes To Washington of DVD releasing, regularly sticking up for the lost causes of canceled cult TV shows by freeing them from studio vaults and putting them back in the hands of fans. And today we learned that it’s finally picked up one of TV’s most loveable losers: Get A Life, Fox’s short-lived Chris Elliott-starring sitcom, which will finally get a complete series release this fall, after years and years of bureaucratic red tape and hollow promises. The revelation was made by Elliott himself, who dropped the following while talking to A.V. Club contributor Will Harris for a soon-to-be-published interview—and unlike past assurances, Elliott sounds pretty confident:

“Get A Life is going to be coming out as a complete series on Shout Factory. I’m not entirely sure when—I think probably in the fall?—but, yes, it will be actually coming out…finally! At the end of April, we’re going to be doing the special features. Commentaries and that sort of stuff.”

As often lamented by fans of the surreal show—which boasted scripts from Bob Odenkirk and Charlie Kaufman, and had Elliott playing a dimwitted, insane, man-child paperboy who traveled through time, cared for vomiting aliens, and, with notable frequency, died—Get A Life has only seen release in various, out-of-print “best of” collections, with attempts to get the whole series out there repeatedly stymied by “suits,” in Elliott’s words. The involvement from Shout is the best indication yet that it’s finally coming out, reinforced by the fact that Shout confirmed to us that, yes, the DVD is happening, and that an official release date is imminent. These are, indeed, the prettiest years of our lives.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/get-a...oming-t,71726/
Old 04-01-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as it's not the syndicated version.
Old 04-01-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Prettiest Week of My Life episode is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my entire life.
Old 04-01-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have the releases that came out and bought copies on eBay of the rest of the complete series. But look forward to this for sure.

Nice 6.5 year bump!
Old 04-01-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I see that I wrote that way back when.
Old 04-02-12, 08:04 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Thought the bump was an April Fool's thing, but really hope it's true. Only saw a few episodes, but they were gold.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.