Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars 3D 2007!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-05, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Wars in 3D 2007!

Didn't know where to post this, so I hope this is right.
first this from www.comingsoon.net the other day:
Lucas & Cameron to Highlight Digital & 3D
Source: Texas Instruments DLP Products
March 15, 2005

Texas Instruments today announced it will unveil the future of digital cinema and 3D movies at ShoWest, the largest annual convention for the motion picture industry, taking place March 14 - 17 in Las Vegas, NV. Texas Instruments has planned a landmark demonstration with "Star Wars" creator George Lucas and Academy AwardŽ-winning director James Cameron on Thursday, March 17 to showcase 3D theatrical entertainment with DLP Cinema(TM) technology. TI will for the fourth consecutive year serve as the corporate sponsor of ShoWest.

The new 3D experience enabled by DLP Cinema(TM) projectors will be demonstrated and discussed by Lucas and Cameron, both pioneers in digital movie making. A Christie CP2000 DLP Cinema(TM) projector will be utilized to showcase scenes in 3D from Fox's Star Wars: Episode IV, Disney's Aliens of the Deep and many other movies from various genres, including live action and animation. DLP Cinema(TM) projectors provide exhibitors with the first ever opportunity to give moviegoers a pure 3D experience with simple adjustments to a standard installed DLP Cinema(TM) projector. Moviegoers watching a 3D movie projected with DLP Cinema(TM) technology can immerse themselves in an unparalleled viewing experience with incredible color reproduction and 3D imaging.

"With digital 3D projection, we will be entering a new age of cinema. Audiences will be seeing something which was never technically possible before the age of digital cinema -- a stunning visual experience which 'turbocharges' the viewing of the biggest, must-see movies," said Academy AwardŽ-winner James Cameron, director of Aliens of the Deep. "The biggest action, visual effects and fantasy movies will soon be shot in 3D. And all-CG animated films can easily be converted to 3D, without additional cost if it is done as they are made. Soon audiences will associate 3D with the highest level of visual content in the market, and seek out that premium experience."

DLP Cinema(TM) technology is deployed in more than 310 theatres worldwide through manufacturers Barco, Christie Digital and NEC.

And then today this:
George Lucas is planning to remaster all of the "Star Wars" films for rerelease in 3-D, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The director, who is releasing Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith on May 19th, said he hadn't yet committed to a precise schedule but hoped to have the first film ready for the 30th anniversary of the original Star Wars movie in 2007 and that he would then rerelease one "Star Wars" film per year in 3-D.

I'll be there!

So what kind of technology is this anyway? Do you have to use classes? Anybody knows?

Last edited by Kant; 03-18-05 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-18-05, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kant
fist this
Moving to Adult...
Old 03-18-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kant
So what kind of technology is this anyway? Do you have to use classes? Anybody knows?
I don't care how impressive it is, the day I have to take a class to watch a movie is the day... um... well ok I would probably take it if it was a short class.
Old 03-18-05, 08:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Lucas is such a megalomaniac
Old 03-18-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Does this mean by 2007, the 2D versions of the films will no longer be available because 3D is "the way Lucas always wanted them"?
Old 03-18-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a detailed link:

http://www.worldenteractive.com/LUCAS%20CAMERON.htm
Old 03-18-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by rennervision
Does this mean by 2007, the 2D versions of the films will no longer be available because 3D is "the way Lucas always wanted them"?
Old 03-18-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Boy, talk about a waste of space.
Old 03-18-05, 12:31 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Should be interesting to see
Old 03-18-05, 12:31 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
From that article:

Lucas also mentioned that he wants the fourth Indiana Jones film to be made in 3D, but first must turn Steven Spielberg to the 3D side of The Force.
Old 03-18-05, 12:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Lucas and Cameron should be concentrating on making three-dimensional characters first.
Old 03-18-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Zing!
Old 03-18-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's another article: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._digital_3_d_1

Lucas is such a loser. Can't he do something new already!?
Old 03-18-05, 02:05 PM

Lucas said he hopes eventually to release all six of his "Star Wars" movies in 3-D format that can be shown in regular moviehouses, not specialty theaters such as IMAX.

"It looks better than the original, to be honest with you," Lucas told theater owners Thursday at their annual ShoWest convention.
Old 03-18-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cameron's such a loser too

"I can't shoot in a lesser format," said Cameron, who is filming the science-fiction adventure "Battle Angel," in 3-D. "I believe that 3-D is absolutely the future. ... They'll have to pry my glasses out of my cold, dead fingers."
Old 03-18-05, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
Cameron's such a loser too

wow, he's essentially saying that form (style) over content (substance) is the wave of the future. what a jackass.
Old 03-18-05, 02:33 PM

Having seen The Polar Express in 3D, I for one look forward to seeing these films this way. But, this is still in many ways just a gimmick, and hopefully they realize that these films need to work flat also. Obviously Lucas doens't have an issue, his films are 2D to begin with (and I have no problem with him releasing 3D versions) but I hope Cameron keeps this in mind. I don't 3D is going to sweep theaters the way these guys think.
Old 03-18-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Having seen The Polar Express in 3D, I for one look forward to seeing these films this way. But, this is still in many ways just a gimmick, and hopefully they realize that these films need to work flat also. Obviously Lucas doens't have an issue, his films are 2D to begin with (and I have no problem with him releasing 3D versions) but I hope Cameron keeps this in mind. I don't 3D is going to sweep theaters the way these guys think.
...and how do you think Lucas will re(re)(re)-release his (2D) Star Wars movies in 3D, pray tell...?... he asked, innocently

. . . . . .
Old 03-18-05, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hendrik
...and how do you think Lucas will re(re)(re)-release his (2D) Star Wars movies in 3D, pray tell...?... he asked, innocently

. . . . . .
Well, as far as I've read, they've been developing ways to take a 2D live action film and convert it into 3D. I haven't actually seen one successfully done, but I imagine they're getting there.
Old 03-18-05, 07:04 PM

The only successful and WOW inducing 3D I've seen is on my vacation to Disney World. However, those shows include much more than just 3D films. They include all sorts of atmospheric effects and other tricks, as well as killer sound.
Old 03-18-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Polar Express 3-D looked pretty good...I have reservations about how well 3-d will work, but do believe that the industry will have to do something to keep people coming back...dvd and downloading are to good these days...you need something big.

I skipped ghost of the abyss is theaters, and wish i wouldn't Have. Spy Kids was fun, and I think Robert Rodriguez is going to be the guy who helps move the industry into digital film making. We'll see how it works...and I'll buy a ticket to star wars 3-d...just hope that they release it flat for the 30th Anniversary as well.
Old 03-18-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Great . . . now when Greedo shoots first I have to duck . . .
Old 03-19-05, 01:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
Lucas and Cameron should be concentrating on making three-dimensional characters first.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Great . . . now when Greedo shoots first I have to duck . . .

This is why i love you guys, one thread, and i laughed loud enough to wake up my fiance 3 times.
Spectacular...
Old 03-19-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
As a person who wears glasses, I am really not to thrilled with this. Those cheapo paper 3D glasses are never big enough to fit over my glasses and never small enough to fit under them.
Old 03-19-05, 09:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
well lets see if Lucas can front up the money to theatres that want to project and display polarized 3D films - hmmm me thinks not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.