Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

3 movies, 6 hours, a buck fitty!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to our local bargain theater for their .50 cents Tuesday special yesterday, and I managed to time it so that I was able to see three films: Electra, Spongebob Squarepants, and The Incredibles.

Electra was okay, although I found the crack team of supernatural weirdos to die far too easily (especially since they were portrayed in the trailer as badasses...)

Spongebob was pretty fun, considering it was mostly aimed at a juvenile audience.

The Incredibles was... INCREDIBLE! Pixar does it again... I figured where the villain was going to come from fairly early on, however.
Old 03-16-05, 04:06 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
The dollar theater near me closed down a year or so ago. I'm still kind of bummed about that since I used to go there quite often.

Glad to hear some people can still reap the benefits of Super Tuesday though.
Old 03-16-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice....it takes me more than $1.50 in gas alone to even get to a decent theatre!

Gotta go pick up The Incredibles this weekend.
Old 03-16-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, it takes me about 35 to 40 minutes to get to a theater worth paying money for.

Once there, I have a choice between Cinemark, Regal, or the dollar theater. My usual weekend is two or three movies on Saturday. Always love doing that.

(My only problem is that, during the week, the earliest showing of half the movies isn't until 4, so it's nearly impossible to see three movies during a weekday anymore. Weekends... it's a bit easier.)
Old 03-16-05, 05:22 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I love the dollar theater. I've probably posted my little anecdote before about how one time I went to the theater, realized I hadn't brought any money with me, and ended up paying for my ticket with loose change I found under the car seat...
Old 03-16-05, 05:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts
i wouldn't pay .02 to see "Electra" or "Spongebob", in fact they would have to pay me to watch them in one sitting!
Old 03-16-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
i wouldn't pay .02 to see "Electra" or "Spongebob", in fact they would have to pay me to watch them in one sitting!
Well, thank goodness you are not littlefuzzy.

Thanks for the though.
Old 03-16-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We had a dollar theatre, but it has since closed down. I am guessing cause trashy people always went there and you would always have something moving across your feet while watching a film (bugs/rats). And the stench was AWFUL! Don't even pee in the bathroom in fear of catching something.

Yet I loved paying only $1.50 (even though it was called the "dollar" theatre).
Old 03-16-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Closest we have to a "Dollar Theater" is The Vogue in Chula Vista.

$3.50 for a triple feature. The concession prices are also low. It's great if you have a family on a budget. Movies aren't terribly old. This Friday is Finding Neverland, Cursed and Racing Stripes.
Old 03-16-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by conscience
. . . trashy people always went there and you would always have something moving across your feet while watching a film (bugs/rats).
At the dollar theater in my town, it's rugrats moving across your feet. I am not kidding--some people just let their kids roam.
Old 03-16-05, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There used to be a dollar theater near us, and it was fairly well-kept; but the clientele - good God. Never shutting up. Unruly. An ugly-feeling presence.

Prints were usually in awful condition, too. Stereo or mono sound.

The last film I saw there before it shut... hmm. Adaptation.
Thankfully, me and my brother were the only ones in attendance. Some movies, thankfully, aren't for everyone.
Old 03-16-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tasha99
At the dollar theater in my town, it's rugrats moving across your feet. I am not kidding--some people just let their kids roam.

I don't think one single time went by that there was not a group of women that brought their babies in the theatre just so they can cry...
Old 03-17-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No dollar theaters around here. I'm glad though. I can imagine the dregs of humanity that would slither in there.
Old 03-17-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last dollar (well, two dollar) theater closed here in Austin last year. Only about 2 miles from my house - great for an impulse movie. And for a second-run house it wasn't in too bad of shape. Oh well - now my impulse movie experiences are on DVD.

I'm still kind of surprised I survived heading down to the Aquarius during my college days - that was a scary place at times.
Old 03-17-05, 04:49 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
It did get kind of noisy, as several day care places were in attendance, although oddly they weren't at Electra...
Old 03-17-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is my biggest problem with the "dollar" theaters.

The place, while being in good condition, just attracts a wrong sort of crowd. The one who thinks that, since they only paid a dollar (or dollar fifty) to see the movie, they can act however they want. Crying babies, ringing phones, people just talking in general.

My worst experience there was when a friend and I went to see 28 Days Later. The crowd was nearly one gigantic mass of idiotic high school students, mixed in with some moronic college students. About halfway through the movie, they decided they didn't like it, and decided to just start yelling (literally) about their digust with the movie. They then proceeded to get up out of their seats and just start walking around the theater, screaming some more.

Now, I can respect the fact that they didn't enjoy the movie (granted, I enjoyed it, but still), but there is no need to act so immature and in such poor taste.
Old 03-17-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We had a dollar theatre, but it has since closed down. I am guessing cause trashy people always went there and you would always have something moving across your feet while watching a film (bugs/rats). And the stench was AWFUL! Don't even pee in the bathroom in fear of catching something.

Yet I loved paying only $1.50 (even though it was called the "dollar" theatre).
Bastards took out the Dollar Theatre and the Carmike(with THX) in one fell swoop and replaced them with the "Redemption World Outreach Center". And then Hollywood 20 and Cherrydale closed down all the smaller theatres(I didn't mind that one so much...)
Old 03-17-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Amator
Bastards took out the Dollar Theatre and the Carmike(with THX) in one fell swoop and replaced them with the "Redemption World Outreach Center". And then Hollywood 20 and Cherrydale closed down all the smaller theatres(I didn't mind that one so much...)

I know. I really liked the Carmike. Especially that one bigger theatre. I remember seeing Blade in it and the sound was spectacular.

I go to Cherrydale usually, as I'm on the "northside" of G'ville near Furman. Hollywood 20 is overrated, IMO. Plus I was there when they had that big gang fight that one night and we had to stay in the theatre lobby. Awful.

Last edited by conscience; 03-17-05 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-17-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by littlefuzzy
I went to our local bargain theater for their .50 cents Tuesday special yesterday, and I managed to time it so that I was able to see three films: Electra, Spongebob Squarepants, and The Incredibles.

Electra was okay, although I found the crack team of supernatural weirdos to die far too easily (especially since they were portrayed in the trailer as badasses...)

Spongebob was pretty fun, considering it was mostly aimed at a juvenile audience.

The Incredibles was... INCREDIBLE! Pixar does it again... I figured where the villain was going to come from fairly early on, however.

Would your theater happen to be an, Interstate Theater ? " Home of the $1 Hot Dog "
Old 03-17-05, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
Would your theater happen to be an, Interstate Theater ? " Home of the $1 Hot Dog "
Yep, and as a matter of fact, I ate one of those dogs of questionable origin...

EDIT: Web searches seem to call this a Cinemark theater instead, but that could just be the old name, as this was converted from a first-run theater after we got some of the larger multiplexes.

Last edited by littlefuzzy; 03-17-05 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-17-05, 09:56 PM

I don't live in a big city. I wish we had a cheap theater. That's cool that you guys can go check out some movies so cheap. I paid $10 (Matinee for 2) to see Elektra & I didn't like it. When I was visiting my sister back in October I was excited to go to the $2.50 theater. What I also thought was cool was that the later showings were the same price. The concession prices were about the same as a normal theater though. This place was nice & clean. There was one annoying loud elderly woman, but she quieted down before the movie started. I was happy the last time I went, because I saw Without A Paddle & Collateral & enjoyed both of them.
Old 03-18-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

nothing cheap in nashville...i need to go back to dallas
Old 03-18-05, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I lived in Connecticut, there was a 99 cent movie theater. They'd have piles of pennies in the ticket booth for the ticket seller to give as change. I always wondered why they didn't just make it a dollar.

I've only been to the dollar theater in Plano once, and it was okay, but I went on a weekday afternoon, so the place was pretty well empty. It was as nice, if not nicer, than the first run theater in McKinney (which is also an older Cinemark and, last time I went anyway, charged a discounted rate over the new Cinemarks in Plano).
Old 03-18-05, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In NYC, tickets are $10.50. The closest thing that we have to a bargain is one Loews theater sells their tickets at a discount of $8.99

Luckily, I have a lot of those Weekday Escape Tickets that I buy for $5.50 so I can watch movies Monday -Thursday and get a free child's popcorn.
Old 03-18-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know. I really liked the Carmike. Especially that one bigger theatre. I remember seeing Blade in it and the sound was spectacular.

I go to Cherrydale usually, as I'm on the "northside" of G'ville near Furman. Hollywood 20 is overrated, IMO. Plus I was there when they had that big gang fight that one night and we had to stay in the theatre lobby. Awful.
Most of my best movie memories are from that Carmike. All three Star Wars Special Editions, ID4, Matrix, Phantom Menace opening night, etc all in THX.

I'm pretty close to downtown, but I work near Woodruff/85 so I'll hit Hollywood after work but Cherrydale on weekends. I'm just glad there's a group of people bringing indie/foreign stuff to the Carmike.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.