Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RING TWO review thread...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-16-05, 09:54 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
this movie sucked but then again take it from someone who didn't like the first one.
Agreed. It's almost a remake of the first (US) film.
Old 03-16-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Wow!
With such in-depth "reviews" such as those, you guys should have no problems getting positions doing the Theatrical Reviews for DVDTalk!
"I didn't like it" is not a review, it's an opinion.
Reviews are typically longer than 10 words.
Does anyone have a real review?
Old 03-16-05, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by clappj
Wow!
With such in-depth "reviews" such as those, you guys should have no problems getting positions doing the Theatrical Reviews for DVDTalk!
Well, nobody else seems to want the job...

Seriously though, I'll leave the rambling paragraphs to others... Here's my take:

- Just a lifeless remake of the first film, including a random animal attack and Rachel ending up in the well again.

- Watts looks confused by the entire proceedings. The script offers her no help.

- All the "Seven Days" VHS tape stuff is gone for the most part. This is a possession story, and a toothless one at that.

- Nakata kinda does away with the first film's ridiculous reliance on cheap scares, but his "spooky" imagery takes away form the simple fact that the screenplay is a mess and dull.

- The kid, David Dorfman, is a terrible child actor. Ask him what he wants to eat or watch him confronted by Samara, and he give the same facial reactions. Too bad the film is ALL about him.

- I didn't like the first film either, so I was hoping for something better. This was far worse.
Old 03-16-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this movie last night and thought it was a decent effort. In a nutshell, not quite as creepy as the first movie, but it did have some fairly chilling moments. Storywise-it wasn't anything groundbreaking, it does give some more background on the little girl's mother and what her deal is/was. I thought the movie did have a few slow parts that kind of detracted from the overall flow, and the acting was pretty bland, but I'd probably give it a 3 out of 5 (being generous). Not a must-see unless you're a die-hard fan, but still entertaining.

Last edited by woofman; 03-16-05 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-18-05, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WORST FILM OF THE YEAR (so far)

I'd rather see these following films again before ever touching this flick again:
- Be Cool
- Boogeyman
- Constantine
- Cube Zero
- The Jacket
- White Noise
- Who's Your Daddy

NOTHING happens during the movie! A simple tale takes TWO HOURS to develop! It's TWO HOURS OF NOTHING! My intelligence was raped for two hours straight!

WHY CAN'T A GOOD MOVIE BE RELEASED THIS YEAR?!?! WHY GOD, WHY!??!
Old 03-18-05, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
My review of your review: "Your review blew goats and sucked far worse than any review I have ever seen"

This wasn't that bad of a film. It wasn't great, but it had some moments. I think the worse part of it was that it didn't know where the fuck it was going half the time. Lets break it down, They toss in an evil dead style video tape screaming in pain/being alive as it burns as if it was the book of the dead. I saw it going the shinning route for a while and then it did a twist and went down the whole exorist road. It had hints of Dark Water and moments from that which I think will fuck up any chance of making Dark Water be anything "original" to the american film going audiance since it does pretty much steal its only major thunder twist. It starts of fairly strong and feels like another generic horror film now a days and then it becomes a mystery slow as fuck mothman story that is boring as all hell till the very end. You can predict just about everything that is going to happen and you really have to question why she was willing to pass on the tape the last time and not give a fuck, but this time she feels compelled to take the curse on herself and destroy it when their is plenty more tapes floating around. Just let it pass on and how fuck'n much does she have to be like James bond?

The film relies a lot on the cheap statler scare to make up for any real plot or horror in the film. The tape is bearly touched on and the back story to the girl is a cluster fuck of terrible linking and half explained set up. When watts finally meets the mother it's a huge let down since she provides nothing other than "listen to your child" when she should be batshit insane or at the very least older than fuck. Who knows. the whole movie just felt like it was going or trying to go to many different places at once and failed on all of those leaving only cheap shots and a few moments of enjoyment behind.

I also would suggest that if your opening post in a review thread is "it sucks" or any other one sentence review, please don't bother starting a thread and just wait for someone else to do so because your contribution is just sad.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 03-18-05 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-18-05, 08:42 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
A handful of reviews from MetaCritic:

The Hollywood Reporter Kirk Honeycutt
While nearly every shock comes at predictable moments, there is genuine ingenuity behind many, and the movie is surprisingly fresh for one made by a guy on his third go-round with the same material.

Rolling Stone Peter Travers
You have to admire Nakata's skill at letting the dead run free while hinting that we may have more to fear from the living. With a braver step in that direction, this middling movie would ring more than box-office bells.

USA Today Claudia Puig
Watts has proven herself a Lady of the Rings, but twice is enough. No burning need for a trilogy.

Entertainment Weekly Lisa Schwarzbaum
The scariest thing in the not-scary-enough The Ring Two is the notion that even smart, attractive adults - yikes, even mothers - just never learn, either.

The New York Times Manohla Dargis
Despite Mr. Nakata's track record and the radiant presence of its star, Naomi Watts, The Ring Two is a dud.

...and Ebert's full 2 1/2-star review here
Old 03-18-05, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
WHY CAN'T A GOOD MOVIE BE RELEASED THIS YEAR?!?! WHY GOD, WHY!??!
In terms of major releases, I feel your pain.

These opened up recently, and are good...

ONG-BAK
THE UPSIDE OF ANGER
STEAMBOY
ICE PRINCESS
MILLIONS
Old 03-18-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pwned by Mr. James

http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/r/ring2.html
Old 03-18-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Third Baseman
At least he can't claim that someone else messed up the American version of his franchise. He did it all by himself.
The funny thing is, a lot of reviews seem to praise his direction but slam the script. And then started picking on the Screenwriter as to "finding someone (to direct) who didn't know English, so his crappy script could stay intact."

Not to defend Hideo though, not a big fan.
Old 03-18-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I hate, hate, hated the first one. Should I give this one a chance?
Old 03-18-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Ring 2 started off badly. Really badly. For the first half of the movie, it's nothing but Samara jumping out at different people at "unexpected" (and by that I mean "totally expected") times. After about an hour, I guess they realized they couldn't base an entire movie about a scary ghost girl jumping out at people, and then decided to actually do something. At this point the movie picks up a little bit, but it's an uphill climb. I won't give away Samara's new modus operandi (since the trailers didn't), but it didn't do much for me. By the ending, the film had only redeemed itself for me from a terrible movie to a not very good movie. It just couldn't live up to the original. The fun of the original was the mystery of where the tape came from, who made it, and why. All the mystery is gone in the sequel, and mainly all we're left with is some cheap jump scares and nothing new.

Looking on the bright side of things though, I think there's a line towards the end that could be a candidate for the "Best use of the F-Word in a PG-13 movie" thread.
Old 03-18-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Which is it?

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Nakata kinda does away with the first film's ridiculous reliance on cheap scares, but his "spooky" imagery takes away form the simple fact that the screenplay is a mess and dull.
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
The film relies a lot on the cheap statler scare to make up for any real plot or horror in the film.
I can't remember one instance in the first movie that was a true "Cheap Scare" That is one reason I loved it.
Old 03-18-05, 06:43 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd be interested in seeing the Japenese version.
Old 03-18-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got back from seeing it... It was decent for what it was, another American convert of a Japanese horror flick. Definitely a lot of slow spots, and the script, Jesus... I'll assume some people might come here not having seen the movie and expecting a "This movie was good/bad" without spoilers. This is a review of sorts, but completely spoils the movie, so thus the spoiler space.

Spoiler:
First of all, the kid somehow gets possessed because she burns the tape? All the other women burned/destroyed tapes to get their kids possessed? I don't think so. The scenes with Samara's mother indicated Samara or the demon that possessed her tries to get a new life every once in a while. That doesn't jive in the slightest with "tape burns, Samara gets pissed and takes revenge by possessing the kid."

Ignoring the slow spots in the first half and the acting, then come the animals. What the hell? I hope there is one awesome cut scene somewhere on the DVD. Someone explain to me what on earth the significance of all those antlers in the basement was? There has to be some symbolism I missed, because clearly the attack earlier in the flick and the basement scene were supposed to mean something at one point during the films development.

Was Samara a hunter that killed a lot of moose? I can't quite picture Samara in camouflage with a rifle, but that's about the only reason all the moose would have a grudge against her.

The ending was rather bizarre. When she took the kid upstairs to the bathroom, I was praying it would at least end on a negative note. I didn't want to see the movie end happily ever after. I was worried things would turn out well, but at least on that end the film didn't disappoint. That said, it didn't make much sense.

Before Rachel is pulled in the TV, the "she wants a mother" made sense with the last scene. But the stuff with the well... Wtf? Rachel kicks Samara and traps her, only to escape, yell "I'm not your fucking mommy" (Awesome line, as mentioned above) and end Samara's reign of terror. How in the fuck does that translate to the last scene?

Rachel clearly knew the second Samara called her "mommy" that it wasn't her kid. The last couple seconds indicate she's still in the television, but she doesn't have any reason to know that. As far as she knows she made it out and Samara is still in her kid as far as I can tell. She goes from "I'm not your fucking mommy" to asking Samara to call her Rachel? Huh?

And aside from that, the fact she never made it back to reality brings for some strangeness. Do we assume she lives out her life in an alternate universe, never aging? Bizarre.

The film had some potential, but the script needed some major editing. I know this film got delayed again, again, and yet again, so I wonder if the studio exerted its influence and changed the film, causing some of the problems.

Last edited by coladar; 03-18-05 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-18-05, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Which is it?

I can't remember one instance in the first movie that was a true "Cheap Scare" That is one reason I loved it.

For me, the sequel tones down the "cheap scare" or "Boo!" factor that plagued the original. I would watch the first film again. The shocks are all over it.
Old 03-18-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Again, I hated the first one, would I like this one? My taste in horror is pretty much stuff like the recent re-imaginings of "Dawn of the Dead" , "Texas Chainsaw Massacre (both versions)", and I have actually liked "House of 1000 Corpses" as well. I thought "The Grudge" was more or less something that relied of cheap scares and the first Ring movie in America a pretentious piece of crap.
Old 03-18-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Again, I hated the first one, would I like this one? My taste in horror is pretty much stuff like the recent re-imaginings of "Dawn of the Dead" , "Texas Chainsaw Massacre (both versions)", and I have actually liked "House of 1000 Corpses" as well. I thought "The Grudge" was more or less something that relied of cheap scares and the first Ring movie in America a pretentious piece of crap.
you probably won't like it.
Old 03-18-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got back from seeing and...big dissapointment. A lot of good points as to why it fails have already been brought up so I wont elaborate too much. Nothing happens...it was nice to see the 2 cast members back, but after seeing this I wish they would have had a new cast and stuck w/ the tape idea, they threw that out the window in the 1st 10 mins.....bummer.
Wait for the dvd if you want to check it out.
Old 03-18-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not even going to go into detail, since I hated it so much.

I could crap a better movie than Ring 2. I can't believe just how much it sucked, since I enjoyed the first one.

I mean, I hated this one AS MUCH, or even more than, The Grudge. I cringe just thinking about how much I hated Ring 2.

Spoiler:
OMG ATTACK OF THE KILLER REINDEER~!!!!!!!!

As bad as the movie was, that scene was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life. I kept thinking of:

Spoiler:
Tommy Boy!

When the highlight of a HORROR film is the above, what does that say?
Old 03-18-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by coladar
Spoiler:
And aside from that, the fact she never made it back to reality brings for some strangeness. Do we assume she lives out her life in an alternate universe, never aging? Bizarre.
Spoiler:
I'm confused by your interpretation of the end -- I didn't think she didn't make it back to reality; what did I miss? If you mean the almost last shot where the sky flips like it's a TV, I think it was just the last "effect" of the movie to leave at least SOMETHING there for a possible sequel.

How rude! All spoilered!

OT, I liked it -- I've seen two or three reviewers say that it was trying to rewrite the original -- I didn't see that; maybe someone else does that can give an example. Either see it at a bargain show or put it on your RENTAL list because I could see how people might not like it. I did, but I can also see the other side....
Old 03-18-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spoiler:
Rachel clearly knew the second Samara called her "mommy" that it wasn't her kid. The last couple seconds indicate she's still in the television, but she doesn't have any reason to know that. As far as she knows she made it out and Samara is still in her kid as far as I can tell. She goes from "I'm not your fucking mommy" to asking Samara to call her Rachel? Huh?
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure that in the last scene Rachel though they she had defeated Samara and that she was back in the real world with her son (although as you said, the flickering picture leads us to think possibly not). The kid did call her "mommy", but I think she assumed that it was because they had just been through a tramatic experience and not because he was still possessed by Samara. When she said "Don't call me mommy...at least not yet", I took that to mean she didn't want him to call her that because that's what Samara called her. If you remember, at the first of the movie she was trying to get him to call her "mommy" or "mom" or something besides "Rachel".

This is just my take on it, but the ending seems to make more sense that way.

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 03-18-05 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-19-05, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
Hmm... Maybe I misinterpreted the ending then. I thought she was probably back in the real world as well, until the flickering and various effects of the last couple seconds. Also, although I wasn't paying attention to memorize it, I thought whoever the kid was at that point called her mommy, she said something along the lines of "Call me Rachel, for a little while/longer at least." That made me think she knew she was talking to Samara, especially if it was "for a little while at least."

The ending would make a bit more sense if she was back in the real world, but the effects in the last second just strongly indicated she was still in the TV. Since the entire audience in my theatre groaned the second the effects occured, it seemed like most of the people in my theatre agreed. On the way out I heard a couple people talking about the fact she was still with Samara as well.

So maybe the audience swayed my judgement, but I just can't buy that she made it back since the effects were what we'd see if she was still in the television. Seems like not many people think she didn't end up in the real world, so I might have to wait until the DVD commentary to be totally sure of what happened.
Old 03-19-05, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Spoiler:

...............................................................................................

LOL SPOILER LOL

this thread looks like a CIA document.
Old 03-19-05, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Spoiler:
Hmm... Maybe I misinterpreted the ending then. I thought she was probably back in the real world as well, until the flickering and various effects of the last couple seconds. Also, although I wasn't paying attention to memorize it, I thought whoever the kid was at that point called her mommy, she said something along the lines of "Call me Rachel, for a little while/longer at least." That made me think she knew she was talking to Samara, especially if it was "for a little while at least."

The ending would make a bit more sense if she was back in the real world, but the effects in the last second just strongly indicated she was still in the TV. Since the entire audience in my theatre groaned the second the effects occured, it seemed like most of the people in my theatre agreed. On the way out I heard a couple people talking about the fact she was still with Samara as well.

So maybe the audience swayed my judgement, but I just can't buy that she made it back since the effects were what we'd see if she was still in the television. Seems like not many people think she didn't end up in the real world, so I might have to wait until the DVD commentary to be totally sure of what happened.
Spoiler:
I think that she was back in the real world cuz Samara's mom kept telling Rachel to listen to her child. She listened to her son's voice even though it was over the cliff and she jumped off of it trusting the voice. That's when she ended back in the real world. I could be wrong though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.