Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Closer - Superbit'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-05, 02:42 PM
Banned

Location: You ever look up in the sky at night and notice a star shining so bright and so proud by such a margin that it deserves to be in its own category? I am that star!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Scott Lecter's DVD review of Closer - Superbit at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14853 and... I could not agree more with your take on Closer. Very rarely can a movie captivate an audience when it relies on strictly dialog to keep the film moving. Not to mention the Fact that not one character in the film has many redeeming qualities. The contradicting part is that each character is was written with such style that you cannot help but feel for them. Mike Nicols has not missed a beat throughout his illustrious career. I had been a fan of his early work "Carnal Knowlege" which was extremely ahead his time and featured in my opinion Jack Nicolson's first Great Movie.
He has a way of getting the most out of his actors. Clive Owen did not show a tenth of the charisma he had in "King Arthur" and I feel he is way too talented to be the next James Bond. Jude Law had a tough year of box office blunders and this was the only film that restored some credibility. Natalie Portman solidified her status as one of the best up and coming actresses in 2004. I was never a fan of her work as it seems like she was going through the motions in previous films like Star Wars. I'm not really a fan of Julia Roberts, but I thought she handled some challenging scenes extremly well.
I've been thinking about Closer ever since I seen it and cannot wait for the DVD. The lack of extras is dissapointing. At least "The Blowers Daughter" video was included. The song fit in with the movie better than any I have seen in years.
Old 03-15-05, 04:25 PM

When's DVD Angle coming back?
Old 03-15-05, 05:22 PM
DVDTalk Reviewer Emeritus - Founder of DVD Stalk

Originally Posted by chileorgullo
When's DVD Angle coming back?
I'm afraid DVD Angle has gone the way of the dodo, my friend.
Old 03-15-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for some reason, when i first heard "the blowers daughter" i thought it was an original song made for the mvoie.
surprised that the audio ratings got so high, since when i saw the movie twice in theaters, there was hardly any surround action, or bass in the movie. i guess the song would have heavy bass, but thats about it.
Old 03-15-05, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
surprised that the audio ratings got so high, since when i saw the movie twice in theaters, there was hardly any surround action, or bass in the movie. i guess the song would have heavy bass, but thats about it.
Speaking for myself, when I grade a DVD's audio, for the most part I'm not really grading the mix itself, but rather the quality of the reproduction. If I'm reviewing a dialogue-driven movie like CLOSER and the dialogue sounds crisp and clear and well-anchored, then it should logically receive a high grade. Grading low for a lack of pyrotechnics would be like slamming the video transfers for pre-'scope movies simply because they're in fullscreen.

Bill C
Old 03-16-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just as others have said, the film really does stay with you after viewing it. I hope there are good sale prices for it, on release week.
Old 03-16-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
The question is, should we buy now or hold out for a special edition somewhere down the road?
Old 03-16-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The question is, should we buy now or hold out for a special edition somewhere down the road?
i somehow doubt there will be an SE down the road, the only thing i could have seen them putting on the dvd is an epk style featurette,
Old 03-16-05, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Scott_Lecter
I'm afraid DVD Angle has gone the way of the dodo, my friend.
I thought it might be back but apparently not, thanks Scott. I remember you doing a lot of great reviews for them. But that site gone...
That's crap man.
Oh well R.I.P
Thanks for the memories.
Old 03-16-05, 07:48 PM
DVDTalk Reviewer Emeritus - Founder of DVD Stalk

Originally Posted by chileorgullo
I thought it might be back but apparently not, thanks Scott. I remember you doing a lot of great reviews for them. But that site gone...
That's crap man.
Oh well R.I.P
Thanks for the memories.
Thanks so much for the kind words. That said, I am incredibly grateful and happy to be a part of the DVD Talk team now.