Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I have a new worst venue - House Of Blues New Orleans

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-15-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

My wife and I were in New Orleans this past weekend and went to check out Elvis Costello at the House Of Blues. I have never been more pissed at a concert in my life. They oversold the hell out of the place. We were literally elbow to elbow and people still had to stand on the stairs between floors just to get in the room. 20% of the people probably couldn't even see the stage. We were at the very back of the floor and about an hour in my wife was so uncomfortable and I was so pissed we left. I was so tempted to go to the nearest fire station and report the venue but we went and had coffee instead.

I have been to plenty of sold out and very crowded club shows but none came close to being like this.
Old 03-15-05, 02:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I was so tempted to go to the nearest fire station and report the venue...
personally, I would have done that too...
Old 03-15-05, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heh, they have a habit of doing that. We found a little nook that kept us with some elbow romo when we saw Interpol last year.

Funny you should mention HOB NO though, I was online earlier today about to purchase tickets for Kings of Leon but hesitated when the $15 had a convenience fee of $6.20 not including the venue fee, etc. I just couldn't rationalize getting bent over like that.
Old 03-15-05, 10:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
oh don't get me started about Interpol Coldblue, I am soooo angry that the two upcoming 9:30 club shows sold out exclusively through internet presales, and I had no desire to trek up to Sonar (in Baltimore) for that show.
Old 03-15-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
oh don't get me started about Interpol Coldblue, I am soooo angry that the two upcoming 9:30 club shows sold out exclusively through internet presales, and I had no desire to trek up to Sonar (in Baltimore) for that show.
that one in baltimore is sold out as well.
Old 03-16-05, 02:45 AM

All the house of blues are like that. They have enough room for the people but about 25% of the areas to stand at the HOB in Los Angeles can't see the stage so it's PACKED like sardines. THE HOB in Anahiem (in theDisney Mall) is bad too, but not quite as bad.

I either go in EARLY and get one of the 10 seats or I am miserable.

-Tom
Old 03-16-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I always plant myself on the raised area near the back at the LA House of Blues. You're about 40 or 50 feet from the stage but you don't have to worry about being crushed.
Old 03-16-05, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
Sorry to hear that

I saw Interpol last month at a place here in NO called Twiropa. It's basically a big warehouse with a room that has the dimensions of a football field. I loved it. The show was so moody, you could hardly see the members of the band because the entire stage area was flooded with color behind them, which gave off a great silouhette effect. I'll post pics if I get time.
Old 03-16-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by handle
All the house of blues are like that. They have enough room for the people but about 25% of the areas to stand at the HOB in Los Angeles can't see the stage so it's PACKED like sardines. THE HOB in Anahiem (in theDisney Mall) is bad too, but not quite as bad.

I either go in EARLY and get one of the 10 seats or I am miserable.

-Tom
Great. And I'm going to see Motorhead at the HOB in a couple of weeks...