Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Roan Group

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-05, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roan Group

Just to make sure that everyone knows that it has to be said that the Roan Troma releases have nothing to do with the magnificent work that the original Roan group accomplished under Cary Roan - (e.g. White Zombie)Troma just has the name - their own issues under the Roan name have none of Cary's expertise Richard
Old 03-14-05, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Err, um, okay.

Odd first post.
Old 03-14-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where did that come from
Old 03-14-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Either:

a) Someone just bought a Troma/Roan DVD and the quality didn't meet their expectations; or

b) Someone just got let go/fired by Troma.
Old 03-14-05, 10:23 PM

Just found this site and saw someone complain about a Tarzan film put out by the Roan Group - I had bought up just about all of the original Roan releases which were beautifully remastered by Cary Roan - However when Troma bought up the name plus some of the original features that Cary had worked on they continue to use the Roan name - just that I hate to see a name that stood for quality now mean something else.
Old 03-14-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

examples of the poor quality
Old 03-14-05, 11:46 PM

Not sure what you're talking about. Cary Roan is still part of those releases:
According to Roan, "I joined the Troma Team due to the fact that they have the support staff, the marketing channels, and the desire to expand to classic and nostalgic films on DVD and VHS…"
Roan states, "I will work with Troma in both consulting and producer capacities to ensure the films continue to have the quality that has been our leading feature"
It was back in 2000, so I'm not sure if anything changed

Last edited by Ashirg; 03-14-05 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-15-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm drunk. If I were sober, I doubt this thread would be worth laughing at and responding to.

-JP
Old 03-15-05, 01:44 PM

Cary is still a consultant on Roan Group DVD releases, to the best of my knowledge.
Old 03-15-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not happy with Troma now distributing Roan -- the quantity of releases has pretty much dried up to nothing now, and having "Toxie" on the disc is far less preferable to the original, elegant Roan 'projector' intro, classic graphics, etc. Roan used to mean something back in the laserdisc days and the early days of DVD. Now, they are practically a forgotten label.

However, to say that the transfers now have "none of Cary's expertise" is untrue. Cary is still involved with Roan.
Old 08-08-05, 08:55 PM

Do you think that Troma/Roan will release The Fighting Sullivans or Rain again?

Rain is also out by Image and Alpha. Don't want the Alpha version. Not Image, unless I can't find the Roan version. The Fighting Sullivans were only released by Roan. Does anyone know if they'll be rereleased by Roan or by another?
Old 08-08-05, 09:00 PM

There is no Roan anymore - in other words Cary Roan, who was responsible for those early wonderful Roan Group DVDs, in longer doing any kind of remastering and his catalogue is now owned by Troma who just sells them - if they do any kind of remastering, it certainly isn't on the level of what Cary Roan did. If they decide to reissue it I don't know, but if they do, it would probably be Cary's mastering.
Old 08-08-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i still think the troma disc are better than any other public domain titles
Old 08-08-05, 11:06 PM
Defunct Account

Cameron's right. Even now that they are owned by Troma, Roan is much better than the other PD companies. Many of their recent releases have been remastered and look great. Just because Cary Roan is only a consultant doesn't mean that they no longer put out a good product.
Old 08-08-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Interestingly enough I just got Roan's version of Vengeance Valley in the mail today. I scanned through it and aside from dirt and debris it looks great. The picture is much sharper than any other version I've seen, and the color is very good.

The only complaint I've had about a Roan release is that Suddenly is non-anamorphic. It is widescreen, and the picture is pretty good (although there are way too many vertical lines/scratches for my tastes), but that was a little disappointing.

Still, I'd have to agree that with what I've seen so far Roan looks like one of the best PD DVD companies out there.
Old 08-09-05, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have quite a few Roan releases from before Troma bought them and after and the quaility is still very good. These are public domain titles though and the quality will be limited to the elements Cary Roan had available or that they could aquire. I doubt the Tarzan serials were really cared for all that well and that may be why the quality is below other Roan discs.
Old 08-09-05, 08:05 AM

Did Troma/Roan lose the rights to certain movies even though they're PD? There's 4 titles that I know of that aren't available anymore, The Big Lift, Rain, The Fighting Sullivans and The Great St. Louis Bank Robbery.

If they're PD, then why stop releasing them?
Old 08-09-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by darkhawk
Did Troma/Roan lose the rights to certain movies even though they're PD? There's 4 titles that I know of that aren't available anymore, The Big Lift, Rain, The Fighting Sullivans and The Great St. Louis Bank Robbery.

If they're PD, then why stop releasing them?
I've wondered about this as well. It could be a case of them not really being in the public domain or someone was able to renew the copyright somehow, but that does not seem to be the case with The Great St Louis Bank Robbery as that has been released by other companies. I also have the Roan release of Dementia 13, but it doesn't seem like they sell that one anymore.

Maybe they only printed a certain number of copies of several of the films and decided not to make more when those sold out.

I good explanation would be welcome though.

Last edited by darkside; 08-09-05 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-10-05, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

some troma team members frequent the board..they may could answer that for you guys