Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever ordered MLB extra innings?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-14-05, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering how many baseball games do they show on average a week? And if it's worth the $149 they ask for the season. Any feedback would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
I had extra innings the last two years and thought it was worth it. I am a White Sox fan living in Ohio so there was no other way to see the games. There were at least six or seven games on a given day depending on the schedule. The one thing you need to be careful of is blackout restrictions. Your local team will be blacked out (in my case Cleveland and Cincy) but because of my location Detroit games were blacked out as well (and they were rarely televised on local stations so that sucked).

The only reason I'm not ordering it again now is because I'm moving mid-summer and there are no refunds. They usually offer a less expensive package after the All-Star break so that will be what I'll go with. If you aren't sure, I know Time Warner at least does a free preview for the first couple days of the regular season so you can check out how many games are offered each day and see if you're still interested.
Old 03-14-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
I got it two years ago and never got it again because I found that there was enough baseball on free TV during the season to satisfy me. It's a good package if you're following a team that's not in your local market and doesn't get a lot of national coverage - but I basically bought it to watch Red Sox and Yankees games, which seemed to be on all the time anyway. Needless to say, if you're a Cubs or Braves fans, there's little use in getting the package, etiher.

If they ever switched to offering it all in HD, I might go back, but that's probably the only way.

However, you'll get more games than you'll need or be able to keep up with! I think the only restrictions is they totally go black when there's a national game on ESPN or one of the networks airing at the same time...not sure if this is still the policy. And, of course, no playoffs...but those are nationally televised anyway.
Old 03-14-05, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the replys. I live in so. california and don't care for either teams down here. I just basically care to watch the Yanks games. I have the YES network and most of there games are blacked out, thats the reason why i want to get extra innings.Do they black out the Yankee games too?
Old 03-14-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts
Yes. I had it last season. If you don't get alot of local games because you aren't in a local team market, it's the best thing you could ever do as a baseball fan. However, if you are in a market where damn near all games are televised (such as Phoenix) it's only good if you want to follow a team not in your local market.
Old 03-14-05, 03:35 PM

I wish my cable company would carry this.
Old 03-17-05, 03:27 AM

isn't there something online for cheaper?

www.mlb.tv
$14.95 a month
or $79.95 for a season

I also think it might be free for comcast users?

you may have quality video if you output it to your tv, depending on the feed...

Last edited by MrJeff; 03-17-05 at 03:38 AM.