Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

As if Netflix couldn't get any lamer...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 03-14-05, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I see they have now removed the length of the DVD. Nice. What next, remove the aspect ratios too, because, hell, we don't need'em.

I suspect they may have removed the length of the DVDs because they had them so screwed up, it wasn't funny. In addition, they seem to get the year wrong as well. For example, take a look at the Futurama series. According them, the entire 4 volumes were released in 1999.
Old 03-14-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts
so what.

you're gonna rent the movies you want anyway.
Old 03-14-05, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah... I mean its hardly the end of the world, right?
Old 03-14-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
so what.

you're gonna rent the movies you want anyway.
NOT WITHOUT KNOWING THE LENGTH!!!!!
Old 03-14-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who cares? Are you not going to watch a movie because it is over or under a certain length? Because that's really the only reason I can think of for that to matter.
Old 03-14-05, 08:37 AM

There's a whole internet out there! Not hard info to find.
Old 03-14-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now if they'd removed the NAME of the DVD, then I could understand the cause for alarm.
Old 03-14-05, 10:22 AM
Cool New Member

Do you not like long movies or do you not long movies burned to single layer discs?
Old 03-14-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by westie7
Do you not like long movies or do you not long movies burned to single layer discs?
Old 03-14-05, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to say dropping the times doesn't really bug me... the fact I've received email notices two DVDs have been checked in but they are still listed in my queue as out (which means the replacements will most likely not ship today) does bug me though...
Old 03-14-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Jesus, could you find something less important to complain about? Considering the options include stuff like going to Blockbuster and finding 5012401 copies of "Ladder 49" and not a single foreign film, I'd say Netflix is pretty far from lame for me. Great service, low price and no complaints from me in the 4 years I've used them.
Old 03-14-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMDb.com for your needs
Old 03-14-05, 10:57 AM

It's not the length of the DVD that matters, it's how the DVD makes you feel.
Old 03-14-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Email 'em and let them know you'd like that info back. I just did.
Old 03-14-05, 03:15 PM
Banned

Most dvds I think print the running time on the dvd.

Netflix is lame because Ray & Friday Night Lights are on long wait for 2 months.

I bought Friday Night Lights on Directv PPV last month and I am going to buy Ray this Friday on Directv because I don't want to wait until Memorial Day for them to be available again.
Old 03-14-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ShelleyLevene

Netflix is lame because Ray & Friday Night Lights are on long wait for 2 months.

I bought Friday Night Lights on Directv PPV last month and I am going to buy Ray this Friday on Directv because I don't want to wait until Memorial Day for them to be available again.

Yeah, that's why I use the local video store for new releases. By the time you get a new release from Netflix it isn't a new release anymore.
Old 03-14-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I think Netflix could get a lot lamer, but I guess some people have a lower threshold for "lame" than I do.

I suspect they may have removed the length of the DVDs because they had them so screwed up, it wasn't funny.
So you think that no length is lamer than wrong length? That goes against the old theory, "Better to remain silent and be thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." I would think this is a step away from lameness ... but, of course, I never rent a movie without checking the length on the IMDb, Leonard Maltin's Film Guide, and (where possible) some independent third source (especially if those first two disagree), so I hadn't even noticed that Netflix was screwy in that.
Old 03-14-05, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I see they have now removed the length of the DVD. Nice. What next, remove the aspect ratios too, because, hell, we don't need'em.

I suspect they may have removed the length of the DVDs because they had them so screwed up, it wasn't funny. In addition, they seem to get the year wrong as well. For example, take a look at the Futurama series. According them, the entire 4 volumes were released in 1999.
If they are going by the imdb.com code of TV series releases then they use the year the series first started.
Old 03-14-05, 04:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by ShelleyLevene

i added Ray to the top of my netflix queue about two weeks ago and it shipped immediately.
Old 03-14-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Jesus, could you find something less important to complain about? Considering the options include stuff like going to Blockbuster and finding 5012401 copies of "Ladder 49" and not a single foreign film, I'd say Netflix is pretty far from lame for me. Great service, low price and no complaints from me in the 4 years I've used them.

What he said. Everytime there is a netflix bitching thread, which seems to be all people do about Netflix I post the same thing. No complaints, I get my DVDs very fast usually, & I think there selection is amazing. Unbelievably good if you compare it to the crap Blockbuster provides.
Old 03-14-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by westie7
Mod note: I'm not sure if you were joking or not but you've been here long enough to know we don't support/allow talk like that (esp w/o an indication it was in jest)

WEST WING? ON ONE DVD? Of course it was a joke. C'mon guys.

FYI, West Wing is a television series on 7 DVDs, dual-layered...

Please put my text back with a Jest Smilie. ---->

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-14-05 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-14-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
You rent from Blockbuster? And now you're telling me to find something more important to complain about.

Btw, BB does have foreign films. But, here's the secret. They are not on the New Release Wall.

Actually, my service has slowed down. And I think it has to do with responding honestly to their survey they send out, asking when you received your movies. I was on their 8-at-a-time plan, because I wanted to watch a few television miniseries before making any financial committments, but when I switched back to the 3-at-a-time plan, the shipments slowed down, and it's been taking 5 business days to get 3 goddamn movies.
Old 03-14-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead
It's not the length of the DVD that matters, it's how the DVD makes you feel.
More cushion for the pushin'
Old 03-14-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
You rent from Blockbuster? And now you're telling me to find something more important to complain about.

Btw, BB does have foreign films. But, here's the secret. They are not on the New Release Wall.
Actually what is funny is you attempting to stick up for Blockbuster's foreign film selection. And he never said he rented from Blockbuster. You should read actually read the post before you attempt to mock it.
Old 03-14-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So, what you're saying is, he talked about BB's foreign film section without ever being there. I'm confused now. Also, BB's foreign film selections vary from store to store.

I think you better re-read the post:

"Jesus, could you find something less important to complain about? Considering the options include stuff like going to Blockbuster and finding 5012401 copies of "Ladder 49" and not a single foreign film, I'd say Netflix is pretty far from lame for me. Great service, low price and no complaints from me in the 4 years I've used them."

Does that not imply he's gone to Blockbuster?

-----

In any case, I didn't think the original post was a big deal per se, but apparently, I've come across a Netflix Defense Crusade.

I still rent from them, but I've been getting slow service--and I am only 40 miles from a main mailing center, btw. It would be nice if their website had the length of the movies, because I would like to see if it is a director's cut, extended edition, or whatever. Sometimes the cover of the movie is not as accurate as one may think. Yes, I can go to IMDB or many other sites to find the movie length, but since Netflix is in the business of renting tens of thousands of movies to millions of customers, is it too much to ask them to include the movie length? I don't think so.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-14-05 at 04:59 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.