Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Non-US / foreign bands that should be big in the US

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What bands from other lands should be bigger in the US? Bands that have a legitimate possibility of mainstream success if they were given a chance.

My votes:

Hellacopters. Huge all over Scadinavia, unknown here. They're a terrific hard rock band, sort of like AC/DC combined with The Stooges. Their last few albums have all been terrific.

Ash. Sort of like the UK version of Green Day or Blink 182 but a little more credible and less faux-punk attitude. Great singles band, they remind me a of a modern version of the Buzzcocks. Once again, huge all over Europe, unknown here (I don't even think you can get domestic version of their albums).

Super Furry Animals. This band, which sounds like a hard rock version of the Flaming Lips combined with surf rock, has never made a bad album in 10 years. Their last one, Phantom Power absolutely kicked ass. These guys fill stadiums in Europe, never heard one of their songs on the radio here.

Last edited by Hiro11; 03-14-05 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-13-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you referring to current bands only, or ones that may be from the past but never got any US recognition?
Old 03-13-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Guitar Wolf
Old 03-13-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
are you referring to current bands only, or ones that may be from the past but never got any US recognition?
Current and or past, I'm looking to broaden my horizons a little.
Old 03-13-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I've always thought Del Amitri deserved to be a lot bigger in the US than they were.
Old 03-13-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ash. Sort of like the UK version of Green Day or Blink 182 but a little more credible and less faux-punk attitude. Great singles band, they remind me a of a modern version of the Buzzcocks. Once again, huge all over Europe, unknown here (I don't even think you can get domestic version of their albums).
FUCK YES!

Originally Posted by funkyryno

Guitar Wolf
FUCK YES SQUARED! (And only because Ace is their number one fan.)
Old 03-13-05, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Westlife......they've had major success abroad, but little here in the US.
Old 03-13-05, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Ash's new album, Meltdown, is coming out on Tuesday (March 15th). It came out last summer in the UK and was supposed to be released here but their record label went bankrupt. The US release has 3 bonus tracks and a bonus dvd with some videos and documentaries.
Old 03-13-05, 10:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
Two Australian bands:
Cog
The Butterfly Effect

both fantastic hard-rock groups with a touch of prog.
Old 03-14-05, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always thought Stereophonics would make it as a rock band here in the US but none of their albums have really seemed to take with US rock radio.
Old 03-14-05, 08:15 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by tofu
I always thought Stereophonics would make it as a rock band here in the US but none of their albums have really seemed to take with US rock radio.
To further hammer in this little truth, I saw Stereophonics here a few years ago, on the JEEP tour.

They were opening for a local band.
Old 03-14-05, 09:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tofu
well their irritating song "Have A Nice Day" occasionally pops up as in-store music and most recently the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake.

Just bought their new single "Dakota" from Virgin over the weekend - will give a spin later this afternoon.
Old 03-14-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Brujeria
Old 03-14-05, 10:00 AM

Kent releasesd one album stateside, quite a few more recent and definately worthy albums have not seen stateside release.

A-ha released two excellent albums "Lifelines" and "Minor Earth Major Sky" that also never got US releases.

Wannadies albums "Bagsy Me" and "Yeah" - unreleased in the states.

I am Kloot - even though their self titled second 2003 album just saw US release, their debut 2001 album is domestically absent.

Last edited by Giles; 03-14-05 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-14-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Teenage Fanclub never made it big but should have.
Old 03-14-05, 11:14 AM

I'd love it if Manic Street Preachers would get more popular over here, if for no other reason than I could actually seem them live. They're probably my most wanted to see live act (that I haven't seen yet, that is).
Old 03-14-05, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I'd love it if Manic Street Preachers would get more popular over here, if for no other reason than I could actually seem them live. They're probably my most wanted to see live act (that I haven't seen yet, that is).
I've probably raved about them before, but I've seen them three times, once when they opened for Oasis here in the states, (had tix to the cancelled headlining US tour in 2000 - I think that was the year)
- at the Reading Music Festival in 2001
- and V2002, where they replaced headliner Travis after Neil's swimming pool accident. V2002 was my favourite since they it was a precursor to their X-mas Singles tour. The crowd was great and really into them the massive sing alongs to "Tsunami" and "You Love Us" were eurphoric- absolutely ace!
Old 03-14-05, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
I've probably raved about them before, but I've seen them three times, once when they opened for Oasis here in the states, (had tix to the cancelled headlining US tour in 2000 - I think that was the year)
- at the Reading Music Festival in 2001
- and V2002, where they replaced headliner Travis after Neil's swimming pool accident. V2002 was my favourite since they it was a precursor to their X-mas Singles tour. The crowd was great and really into them the massive sing alongs to "Tsunami" and "You Love Us" were eurphoric- absolutely ace!
One of the downsides of seeing them here in the States is that there probably wouldn't be masses of people who know the lyrics to all the songs (unlike me, e.g.)

Giles, do you have the Millenium Stadium DVD? I keep meaning to order it, and then I don't...
Old 03-14-05, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan

Giles, do you have the Millenium Stadium DVD? I keep meaning to order it, and then I don't...
yeah I do, I also have:

- Manic Street Preachers: Louder Than War (Cuba concert)
- Manic Street Preachers: Forever Delayed

and all their DVD-singles.

have you picked up The Holy Bible Deluxe Edition yet? (you know there is a US edition with a NTSC DVD)
Old 03-14-05, 12:50 PM

hmm I never understood why the Tea Party never made it in the states and lately haven't been getting any american distribution...I mean they are from Montreal, you figure their fame in Canada would trickle down here eventually.
Old 03-14-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Certainly the Hellacopters. Incredible band. And one of the best live bands I've ever seen!

Add the Backyard Babies. Now on tour with Social Distortion.

The Wildhearts are another unknown band here, yet big in the UK & Japan. One of the best bands I have EVER heard. EVER! They got the loud guitars of pre-St. Anger Bob Rock Metallica, amazing harmonies, and some of the best songs I've ever heard. Very loud. Very melodic. Incredibly catchy.

All the Wildhearts related bands are also great! The Yo-Yo's have 3 singers, amazing harmonies, and play some great rock 'n roll. Silver Ginger 5 is great, loud, power-pop. Ginger's solo stuff is also incredible. He's the singer of the Wildhearts and if you're going to base how good a songwriter is on the percentage of good to bad songs, Ginger (based on everything he's written) would be about 147-3.

Don't forget Australian bands. Asteroid B612 was great. They just got a live album out called "Greenback Blues". More incredibly loud guitar heavy rock. The Monarchs also have what should've been hits on their album. Same for Challenger 7.
Old 03-14-05, 08:08 PM

Eiffel 65 should have enjoyed more than just their one US hit. I agree on Westlife; they are a bit bland but seem like they would fit right into the US pop scene - or would have before everyone started listening to hip-hop flavored pop. I know there are others I can't think of right now.
Old 03-14-05, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by birdseye
Ash's new album, Meltdown, is coming out on Tuesday (March 15th). It came out last summer in the UK and was supposed to be released here but their record label went bankrupt. The US release has 3 bonus tracks and a bonus dvd with some videos and documentaries.
This was released last week. Good stuff!
Old 03-14-05, 09:15 PM

Being an ash fan (took me WAY too long to find a copy of 1979 once that was released in the states) I would love to see them do well over here. They have had a video release in the states and once meltdown comes out, hopfully a single gets picked up. Something like "clones" (since it is on the star wars republic commando trailer/game) would be good.

I will also have to say my 2 cents and say...

Feeder!

So many great cds and singles, even "High" did pretty well over here, but so many people say "Oh .. i know that song" but they dont know the band that did it. Pushing the Senses is a great cd and would love to see another attempt here with that cd. The Comfort in Sound tour they did here (like 20 clubs) i heard did pretty good, maybe it will happen again.
Old 03-15-05, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I would say SILVERCHAIR. I know there first album was a hit here, but the last 3 never really made a dent. Even though they are still huge throughout the rest of the world. There last album, Diorama, was a huge artistic achievement.

Also, THE DISSOCIATIVES, the lead singer of Silverchairs sideproject. There album will drop in the us on March 29th. It's very very poppy. But in a beach boy sense.

And finally, as it has been stated before...GUITAR WOLF!!!
"Rock and roll holds no boundaries!"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.