Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Moby - Hotel - March 22nd

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-11-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tracklisting:

Disc: 1
1. Hotel Intro
2. Raining Again
3. Beautiful
4. Lift Me Up
5. Where You End
6. Temptation
7. Spiders
8. Dream About Me
9. Very
10. I Like It
11. Love Should
12. Slipping Away
13. Forever
14. Homeward Angel

Disc: 2
1. Swear
2. Snowball
3. Blue Paper
4. Homeward Angel (Long)
5. Chord Sounds
6. Not Sensitive
7. Lilly
8. The Come Down
9. Overland
10. Live Forever
11. Aerial

I'm not sure why but I'm looking forward to this release. I'm not a big Moby fan but I enjoyed both 'Play' and '18'. Hope this doesn't end up just being a bloated double lp.
Old 03-11-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The release date is March 22. Haven't listened to disc 2 yet, but disc 1 is mildly entertaining. I'd prefer he lay off the singing though.
Old 03-11-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
I kind of like Moby's voice, it's thin but honest, I prefer it to the overblown screeching that passes for "American Idol" type singing. Thought he did a nice job on "Southside" and "We Are All made of Stars," interested in seeing how the new discs are.
Old 03-11-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by automator
Hope this doesn't end up just being a bloated double lp.
Disc 2 is a cd of new ambient songs. It's only available in the deluxe edition.
Old 03-11-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i thought 18 was a very very weak entry in a catalogue that has been thus far exciting and adventurous. i won't hold my breath for this release.
Old 03-11-05, 01:59 PM

I listened to this album, and it just seems hollow to me. Yeah he may of not used vocal samples but he is using the same sounds over and over again. Once again you hear the same string pad and swells that he has used since the beginning of his career and also the boring simplified drum beats...not saying this didn't work well for something like Play...but to me he hasn't done anything outside his norm since Animal Rights, which in my mind is his best album...because it actually sounded like he tried to make something. Now it just sounds like he spitting out demo songs into albums. They are so reserved and predictable and safe, I am just very dissapointed in him, compared to what he was before. I think Play was a good album, but I also hate it because it really dumbed him down creatively, because that is what he was finally accepted into the mainstream for.

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
i thought 18 was a very very weak entry in a catalogue that has been thus far exciting and adventurous. i won't hold my breath for this release.

Last edited by TripWire; 03-11-05 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-11-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The iTunes Music Store has a free sampler from the album available for download.
Old 03-11-05, 10:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

downloaded the sampler. gotta say, the album is pretty shitty. 2 or 3 songs seemed ok, but for the most part, dissapointing.
Old 03-14-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BTW, i've obtained the album, and i'm excited. this is the adventurous sound that i loved about moby, before 18. i think i'll probably pick this one up, and catch him in town. i just want to dance!
Old 03-15-05, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
This album continues the downward trend that started with 18. Moby seems to think that he doesn't need samples and can sing now. Ironic that samples are what made him famous in the first place and that his lyrics and singing ability well.....suck.
Old 03-15-05, 09:21 AM

I feel the opposite, I thought the singing was pretty good on Animal Rights, maybe cause he was yelling a lot also...but when he has these more reserved songs, where it's just kinda monotone and such, yeah it kinda sucks....but probably the most popular single on Play, Porcelain had him singing, though behind tons of effects.
and Hollowgen, what exactly is adventurous about this album's sound in the present time?

Originally Posted by starseed1981
This album continues the downward trend that started with 18. Moby seems to think that he doesn't need samples and can sing now. Ironic that samples are what made him famous in the first place and that his lyrics and singing ability well.....suck.
Old 03-20-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Just listened to the preview from iTunes. I liked it...didn't love it. But I'll reserve judgment until I hear the full album, rather than just snippets.

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I kind of like Moby's voice, it's thin but honest, I prefer it to the overblown screeching that passes for "American Idol" type singing. Thought he did a nice job on "Southside" and "We Are All made of Stars," interested in seeing how the new discs are.
I agree. I even like his "montone" singing. I especially love "Porcelain."

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Disc 2 is a cd of new ambient songs. It's only available in the deluxe edition.
After browsing some retailer sites and reading a review or two, I'm under the impression that the ambient CD is actually a bonus disc ("limited edition" at that) and will not actually cost you extra $$$ that your standard "deluxe edition" would...which is a good thing.

Since Animal Rights was brought up, I'll add my two cents: aside from the quieter and ambient parts, I HATED it. I know that his roots are in punk and respect that he tried something different, but I prefer him when he does electronic music. Of course, it's been years since I played it, so maybe I'd have a different impression of it today.
Old 03-20-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJLinus
After browsing some retailer sites and reading a review or two, I'm under the impression that the ambient CD is actually a bonus disc ("limited edition" at that) and will not actually cost you extra $$$ that your standard "deluxe edition" would...which is a good thing.
That's what I meant . I haven't priced the new album yet, I just wanted to let it be known that this really isn't a two disc album. Just an album with a bonus disc.
Old 03-20-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Got it. Usually I infer that "deluxe edition" is one that costs extra, and a "standard version" is also simultaneously offered.

As for prices: $11.99 at Best Buy and Media Play (the only stores with Sunday inserts that advertised the disc, at least in my area). CircuitCity.com has it for $13.99 and DeepDiscountCD has it for $13.97. $13.49 at Amazon.
Old 03-21-05, 09:05 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I've only heard Beautiful thus far, but really like that song.
Old 03-24-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

bumped for our cool new member, megashock5.
Old 03-24-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Guess two albums makes a trend. The worst possible thing Moby could have done was try and make "Play 3" ("18" was "Play 2" and was nowhere near the gem "Play" was). I like "Hotel". This is the album he should have put out instead of "18".
Old 03-24-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^Agreed. It's may not be groundbreaking, but we definitely didn't need another lp of gospel samples. Some of Moby's singing leaves a lot to be desired but it's starting to grow on me.
Old 03-24-05, 06:36 PM

I listened to it on Rhapsody, and wasn't very impressed. I'll give it another chance, but I was sort of let down.

I'm wondering, though: how good is the ambient bonus disc?
Old 03-24-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bdrules

I'm wondering, though: how good is the ambient bonus disc?
It is like one 65 minute song seperated into eleven "tracks". Maybe I'm just not into ambient music but all it did was put me to sleep. Nice instrumentals, but boring IMHO.