Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Amazed. Best Steak I Ever Tasted? CHILI'S!

FunkDaddy J
03-10-05, 05:15 PM
Last night, I had the best steak I've ever eaten--a grilled ribeye at Chili's of all godforsaken places!

(I qualify this by saying I don't regularly go to truly top-end joints, because I'm not one to spend more than $20-$30 on a piece of meat I'm going to eventually flush down the toilet. I've been to Ruth's Chris exactly once, long ago, and it didn't leave much of an impression.)

That said, this Chili's ribeye was the juiciest, most flavorful slab of cow I've ever experienced, better than anything I've tried at Outback, Texas Roadhouse, Lone Star, local joints, etc. Anyone know the Chili's secret? According to the menu, it involves an "au jus" sauce and butter.

Any former Chili's chefs here? I must know how this thing was prepared. I've made some great prime/choice steaks on my grill, but this damn Chili's ribeye tops 'em.

Otto
03-10-05, 05:21 PM
Sweet Zombie Jesus. You're badmouthing Ruth's Chris in favor of Chili's? You've suddenly lost all credibility here. -ohbfrank-

Ruth's Chris New York Strip is, hands down, the best steak mankind is capable of creating. Improvement cannot be acheived by anything less than a supreme being himself.

FunkDaddy J
03-10-05, 05:23 PM
Not really bad-mouthing Ruth's Chris. It was a long time ago, and I can't do a real comparison. I'm sure they're fabulous. But that kind of meal is an EVENT. I'm talking about cheaper steaks you can get around town without spending a fortune.

Wooderson
03-10-05, 05:23 PM
The last steak I had from Chillis was no different than rubber tire.

FunkDaddy J
03-10-05, 05:25 PM
Well, see, ya gotta order em right. Don't have it prepared well-done, man. Go with medium rare. :)

Otto
03-10-05, 05:34 PM
Not really bad-mouthing Ruth's Chris. It was a long time ago, and I can't do a real comparison. I'm sure they're fabulous. But that kind of meal is an EVENT. I'm talking about cheaper steaks you can get around town without spending a fortune.
Ahh. Okay then.

Frankly, I've never tasted a steak at a chain restaurant type of place that I could not do better myself in my own oven. Admittedly, some places grill better than I could, but oven cooking is better for a steak, generally speaking. Flame grilling is best for burgers or other meats with a larger amount of fat in them.

For a cheap steak, flavor is in the marinade. Your choice there determines your flavor. For a good quality cut, flavor is in the steak and somewhat in the seasoning you use for tenderizing it.

Try searing a steak properly. Here's how:
-Find a nice cut of Strip Steak (KC/NY, same thing). Should be about 1 to 1.5 inches thick.
-Disable your smoke detector.
-Get a cast iron skillet. No wood or plastic on it. Put it in the oven and turn it up to maximum.
-While that's heating up, get some salt and pepper and press it into the steak. Cover it nice and good with the pepper and some salt and just push it in. The salt starts the cooking process by breaking down the tissues.
-Remove the skillet (careful, it's hot!), put it on the stove (turned to high) and throw the steak in. It'll smoke and sizzle and you'll think it's burning, but be firm.
-Wait exactly 60 seconds, then flip the steak and throw the skillet back into the "hot as the fires of hell" oven.
-Go open some windows, since smoke will be everywhere soon.
-Leave the steak in the oven for 5-10 minutes. 5 minutes will give you a medium-rare steak (little on the rare side), 10 will give you nearly well done but still juicy and delicious. Adjust your time accordingly. I usually set the timer on 8 minutes.
-Remove the skillet and steak from the oven, place the steak onto a plate and let it sit there, untouched for *at least* 5 minutes. It has to finish cooking, and if you cut into it now you'll lose all the juices.
-This is a good time to attempt to get all the smoke out of the room.
-After 5-7 minutes of sitting, it'll still be pretty hot, but cool enough to eat, so eat it.

Instead of salt and pepper, I usually buy some mixed seasoning. The "Montreal Steak Seasoning" is quite good, although there's some other good stuff in the spice isle. Just make sure that it has some salt in it, because that's essential to the cooking process. Don't worry, it won't taste salty unless you just dump a heaping pile of salt on the thing or something. ;)

chente
03-10-05, 05:40 PM
House of Prime Rib - San Francisco

leepyswetr
03-10-05, 05:41 PM
I've used your method several times (I have the last thread bookmarked), most recently last week.

It does make for a great steak.

Randy Miller III
03-10-05, 05:59 PM
The best cow I've had at a chain steakhouse (so far) was at Lone Star...and they've even got a pretty decent steak sammich on the lunch menu. There's no Chili's around here, but a Texas Roadhouse is opening up next week. Are they any good?

Randy Miller III
03-10-05, 06:02 PM
Don't have it prepared well-done, man. Go with medium <s>rare</s> well. :)
Fixed.

slop101
03-10-05, 06:05 PM
Ruth's Chris and especially Outback are way over-rated.

I haven't had Chili's steak, but having been to some of the best steak places on the planet and having cooked my fair share of steaks from good to great, all it takes is a decent cut, and some spices and marinade. It's not rocket science. And a lot of how you like it comes from expectaions for the price your paying. It doesn't surprise me that Chili's would be good - though these things can sometimes be crap-shoot. I've had the same steak at Morton's - and once it was great, and another time it was crap - consitancy is the biggest issue when it comes to steak.

Deftones
03-10-05, 06:09 PM
Sweet Zombie Jesus. You're badmouthing Ruth's Chris in favor of Chili's? You've suddenly lost all credibility here. -ohbfrank-

Ruth's Chris New York Strip is, hands down, the best steak mankind is capable of creating. Improvement cannot be acheived by anything less than a supreme being himself.

No way. There is a place here in Scottsdale that makes the best filet in the world. :drool:

RyoHazuki
03-10-05, 06:15 PM
Where?

Deftones
03-10-05, 06:20 PM
Where?

City Hall Grill on Drinkwater.

tublecane
03-10-05, 06:24 PM
I agree with the consistancy comment. Sometimes even the great places will have a not so good steak on an off night/bad cut. I've been to Morton's a few times (Minneapolis and Chicago) as well as Ruth's Chris, and the other great steak places in Minneapolis(Manny's, Murry's, Capital Grille). Manny's was my favorite, b/c of the consitancy factor, but then I changed to Capital Grille, which they do have in other cities but not sure how it compares. I had one of the best steaks I've ever had this last weekend though at Jax in NE Mnpls, it was a bone in filet...unbelievably good.

Mopower
03-10-05, 06:28 PM
Texas Roadhouse is opening up next week. Are they any good?

Oh hell's yes. That place is great. Just for the setting not to mention the food.

Ranger
03-10-05, 06:28 PM
Chili's Fajita Quesadilla is pretty good, the best steak I had was at a Ryan's (1999, I think :)) Not everybody can afford Ruth, but someday I hope I can. :D

slop101
03-10-05, 06:36 PM
The key to Ruth's is that they cook and serve all their meats in a butter that doesn't congeal. That keeps the meat very tender/juicy and succulent. But to me, it sort of covers up the meat's flavour. Strangely enough, the best meat I ever had at Ruth's was their lamp chops - it was far better than even their fillet mignon.

adamblast
03-10-05, 06:38 PM
Best steak I ever had, and I go once or twice a month: Hitching Post, Casmalia, CA

www.hitchingpost1.com/

Just awesome. Their "sister" restaurant was featured in Sideways, I hear, but I haven't seen it. That's the spin-off restaurant. This is the original, and much better.

adamblast
03-10-05, 06:44 PM
...Texas Roadhouse is opening up next week. Are they any good?I like' em too. Menu is similar to Outback without the Aussie theme. For a chain, very worthwhile. Don't let anyone who's peanut allergic near it, though--free buckets of peanuts, and you just throw the shells on the floor.

RyoHazuki
03-10-05, 06:45 PM
City Hall Grill on Drinkwater. Is it expensive?

Tom Banjo
03-10-05, 06:51 PM
I had a steak at Chili's recently. Nothing special, IMHO. I ordered it wedium-well, it came out rare. I've never had steak rare before, and I've been curious to try it, so I just kept it. It didn't leave much of an impression with me. The best steak I ever had was at Ruth Chris. I went back around December and it wasn't that good this time around. It seemed like they've started cooking the meat in a healthier way, and it killed the flavor.

chente
03-10-05, 07:11 PM
I want a fucking steak now. Thanks :(

devilshalo
03-10-05, 07:12 PM
Texas Roadhouse ain't too bad, beats Outback by miles. 'round my parts, there's a Lucille's right across the street.

It's hard to comprehend spending Ruth Chris money on a steak. Yeah, it may melt like butter in my mouth but $35 for just the steak alone isn't worth it.

WarriorPrincess
03-10-05, 07:37 PM
Best steak I ever had was in Argentina - nothing like cows with no hormones, essentially "free range" - the cows ate healthy food (no processed food, animal products, etc.), so the meat was incredibly good. Flavorful (and I like it well done, no comments from the peanut gallery :) ) tender, juicy, and, well, fantastic. No comparison to ANY meat I've had in the U.S.

Randy Miller III
03-10-05, 07:47 PM
I like' em too. Menu is similar to Outback without the Aussie theme. For a chain, very worthwhile. Don't let anyone who's peanut allergic near it, though--free buckets of peanuts, and you just throw the shells on the floor.
Ah, so <i>that's</i> the "throw peanuts on the floor" place. Anyway, are they reasonable?

grrrah
03-10-05, 07:49 PM
I dont remember all the good steaks I have had, but the best in the past 3 months was from The Grill (on the alley) in San Jose. It didn't seem like there was much (if any) seasoning, but the cut was excellent.

chente- House of prime rib has great prime rib... is that what you are talking about, or do they have regular steaks too? I have never ordered anything but their prime rib. I dont even remember looking past the prime rib on the menu.

Oraphus
03-10-05, 07:55 PM
you got incredibly lucky if you got a great steak at Chilis... I eat there all the time.. it's not bad for $10-14 and their spices are actually pretty good.. that what saves the steaks, but nothing to write home,... or for that matter post on a message board, about.
Ruth's Chris is pretty damn good.. ate there a couple of month ago and the filet mignion was very, very good. I loved it.. but would have been pissed if i got anything less for ~$40
I also have been to house of prime rib a couple of times.. same price as Ruth's appx. The first time i went the prime rib was incredible... it litterally melted in your mouth.. the 2nd time it was just OK, i was unimpressed and a litle angry (bad tip for you!)

I think in every restaurant you sometimes get lucky and sometimes dont.. i try to limit my $40 a plate restaurant visits.

das Monkey
03-10-05, 08:26 PM
• slop101 •

Ruth's Chris [is] way over-rated.
Agreed. I'd rather eat at Bone's.

As for the best steak I've ever had, surprisingly it was at Houston's. I've tried to duplicate the experience again, but it's never been the same (although the food there is always good). Three of the four of us that night got the steak, and we all agree to this day it was the best we've ever tasted. While I could not test my theory at the time, it was so tender I suspect I could have sliced it with a plastic fork. Sometimes you get lucky.

das

Superboy
03-10-05, 08:49 PM
The best steak ever is at The Hungry Bear in Fullerton, CA. Tender, juicy, no seasonings, and it's a perfectly sized steak. Not too big that you can't finish but fills you up right.

IDrinkMolson
03-10-05, 09:03 PM
Well, see, ya gotta order em right. Don't have it prepared well-done, man. Go with medium rare. :)

Prepared?!
"Oh, you mean cooked."

"Oh, just knock its horns off, wipe its nasty ass, and chunk it right here on this plate."

zuffy
03-10-05, 09:05 PM
Ruth's Chris is OK. I absolutely love the filet mignon from Capital Grille -- tried them in 2 restaurants from MA and the one in downtown Chicago. Haven't been to the one Manhattan yet. The best prime rib was from Taste of Texas in Houston. Either I was real hungry or it was really that good. I finished the 16oz prime rib in a few minutes.

I.Flores
03-10-05, 09:13 PM
Remember the Steak John Candy chows down on "the great oudoors"??
Is there really a place like that, or was it just made up?

Man, I need some tender, juicy steak now.... Guess I'm going to thaw myself some of the Omaha's I got last week.

Josh-da-man
03-10-05, 09:46 PM
Of the "chain" restaraunts comparable to Chili's, I'd have to say that Applebee's has the consistently best steaks.

I've had a couple of steaks from Chili's, and they're pretty underwhelming. Kind of flavorless, and a little on the tough side.

I tried the steak at Outback once. Flavorless, and one of the toughest steaks I've ever eaten despite being medium rare. It was bleeding all over the plate and I could still barely cut the stringy thing. And it was significantly more expensive than comparable places, too. I came >this< close to sending it back, but didn't. I just won't eat there again.

jaelliot
03-10-05, 10:05 PM
I never try and overanalyze my meals, I break it down to basically how well I enjoyed it. The top five steaks I have had were done on a grill at home. I have been to a steak house that was known for great steaks and had a terrible one and the next time had a great one. Just like I have been to places not really known for steak and had a great steak. Assuming both places have at least a competent cook I got to think it has to do with the cut. I never order a marinated steak, because I don’t want to mask the taste of the meat. Although I did help my father in law finish his steak once that he had flamed in brandy at the table and it was unbelievable! I guess this is not marinated technically but same difference to me. I also quit using steak sauce for the same reason. Of course it is all about taste and if wiping peanut butter on your steak makes you enjoy it more, go crazy.

hippie68
03-10-05, 10:12 PM
I used to manage a Chili's. This was over a year ago so I don't know if they've changed the recipe. The ribeyes were just flamegrilled and then topped off with a garlic butter. Not sure of any "au jus" sauce, that may be new.

namja
03-10-05, 10:14 PM
My Favorites:
http://www.fogodechao.com
http://www.angelo-maxies.com
http://www.venetian.com/dining/dining.cfm?ID=1

lordzeppelin
03-10-05, 11:09 PM
Best Steak I ever had was grilled myself...ordered from Lobel's of New York. www.lobels.com

Their steak melts in your mouth...

hippie68
03-11-05, 12:10 AM
Prepared?!
"Oh, you mean cooked."

"Oh, just knock its horns off, wipe its nasty ass, and chunk it right here on this plate."

Welcome to my new sig!

Btw, the next time I go to a restaurant and the waitress asks me how I want my steak, this is exactly what I'm going to say.

Deftones
03-11-05, 12:16 AM
Is it expensive?

Comparable to Ruth Chris' prices. Their bread is to die for. :drool:

Deftones
03-11-05, 12:21 AM
http://www.venetian.com/dining/dining.cfm?ID=1

Man. They used to have this steakhouse in the Venitian that was to die for. Probably the 2nd best steak I've ever eaten. I think they closed it and turned it into another type of restaraunt. I can't remember the name, but damned if it wasn't a freaking amazing steak. :(

BDB
03-11-05, 12:43 AM
ChateauBriand at Boulevard in SF is the best I've ever had... Heaven on a plate, I find it hard to order anything other than Filet at Boulevard as its perfection.

Shazam
03-11-05, 01:57 AM
Otto's suggestion is also what I do to make steaks in winter. It makes a steak that is better than 98% of restaurants out there.

The best NY strip steak I've had was at the Keg. Got it Chicago style. Fantastic.

The best sirloin steak I've ever had is at the Hungry Bear in OC. Cheap, tasty and awesome.

tommy28
03-11-05, 06:22 AM
Ahh. Okay then.

Frankly, I've never tasted a steak at a chain restaurant type of place that I could not do better myself in my own oven. Admittedly, some places grill better than I could, but oven cooking is better for a steak, generally speaking. Flame grilling is best for burgers or other meats with a larger amount of fat in them.

For a cheap steak, flavor is in the marinade. Your choice there determines your flavor. For a good quality cut, flavor is in the steak and somewhat in the seasoning you use for tenderizing it.

-Find a nice cut of Strip Steak (KC/NY, same thing). Should be about 1 to 1.5 inches thick.
-Disable your smoke detector.
-Get a cast iron skillet. No wood or plastic on it. Put it in the oven and turn it up to maximum.
-While that's heating up, get some salt and pepper and press it into the steak. Cover it nice and good with the pepper and some salt and just push it in. The salt starts the cooking process by breaking down the tissues.
-Remove the skillet (careful, it's hot!), put it on the stove (turned to high) and throw the steak in. It'll smoke and sizzle and you'll think it's burning, but be firm.
-Wait exactly 60 seconds, then flip the steak and throw the skillet back into the "hot as the fires of hell" oven.
-Go open some windows, since smoke will be everywhere soon.
-Leave the steak in the oven for 5-10 minutes. 5 minutes will give you a medium-rare steak (little on the rare side), 10 will give you nearly well done but still juicy and delicious. Adjust your time accordingly. I usually set the timer on 8 minutes.
-Remove the skillet and steak from the oven, place the steak onto a plate and let it sit there, untouched for *at least* 5 minutes. It has to finish cooking, and if you cut into it now you'll lose all the juices.
-This is a good time to attempt to get all the smoke out of the room.
-After 5-7 minutes of sitting, it'll still be pretty hot, but cool enough to eat, so eat it.

Instead of salt and pepper, I usually buy some mixed seasoning. The "Montreal Steak Seasoning" is quite good, although there's some other good stuff in the spice isle. Just make sure that it has some salt in it, because that's essential to the cooking process. Don't worry, it won't taste salty unless you just dump a heaping pile of salt on the thing or something. ;)

Nice,ill try that...but id like to add whenever cooking meat never use plain ol salt...only use kosher salt,and plenty of it...it melts into the meat and forms a crust thats not to be missed...also crushed pepper is far better then pepper dust;)

this goes for BBq`ing....Kosher salt is the only why to cook..inside or out.

Otto
03-11-05, 09:16 AM
Nice,ill try that...but id like to add whenever cooking meat never use plain ol salt...only use kosher salt,and plenty of it...it melts into the meat and forms a crust thats not to be missed...also crushed pepper is far better then pepper dust;)

this goes for BBq`ing....Kosher salt is the only why to cook..inside or out.
Kosher salt is a terrible idea if you want to preserve the flavor of the meat. Kosher salt sucks up all the moisture, leaving the meat itself very dry. I've had steak the way you're describing, with that crust, and frankly I did not like it.

jfoobar
03-11-05, 09:42 AM

Montreal is good. Also, for something with some real zip, try this:

http://www.oakalleyplantation.com/miva/graphics/00000001/TONY'S%20MORE%20SPICE.jpg

das Monkey
03-11-05, 09:56 AM
I tried some of that Tony Chachere's on a banana and in some milk and it wasn't very good. Hey, it says "great on everything".

das

milpool
03-11-05, 09:56 AM
http://www.theprimerib.com/

iggystar
03-11-05, 10:11 AM
Wow, when your subject line I immediately thought of the steak I had a Texas Roadhouse last Friday.

I've had some very good steaks at Chili's though. I've never heard of Ruth's Chris, Outback has never really left a good impression.

Has anyone here heard of Logan's Roadhouse? It has the exact, and I mean exact same atmosphere -- down to the buckets of peanuts and shell on the floor! There were a few Logan's popping up in my area. I'd been there several times, pretty good food. Then I see this Texas Roadhouse (which there's only one that I know of here) and think that they're ripping off Logan's. From what I've seen here it's a national chain. I wonder who is doing the ripping.

Anyway, I had a ribeye that so delicious that I had the takeout box in bed with me throughout the night to nibble on it, disgusting I know. And the sides were really good as well.

Charlie Goose
03-11-05, 10:20 AM
Has anyone here heard of Logan's Roadhouse? It has the exact, and I mean exact same atmosphere -- down to the buckets of peanuts and shell on the floor! There were a few Logan's popping up in my area. I'd been there several times, pretty good food.
I went to a Logan's in Orlando a few years ago, but I hate peanuts. The steak wasn't very good.

Never had a steak in Chili's. I love the nachos.

My favorite regular place for steaks in the West Shore Inn here on Staten Island. The prime rib is especially good.

I went to Charlie's Steakhouse in Orlando one time and had a t-bone that made me believe in the Almighty. I don't know if it's a chain.

Xander
03-11-05, 11:16 AM
Hmmm...steak. We have a lot of decent steak places here in the midwest. There used to be a place called Texas Cattle Company that had the peanuts-on-the-floor motif and all that. Pretty reasonably priced (read: low-end prices) but had fantastic beef. We have some local Mom & Pop places that have really good steaks too. I like steaks cooked at home, but am not that good at cooking them yet. Better than I used to be, though. Our Outback and Lone Star are okay, but we don't usually go there. Their meat can be kind of tough sometimes.

AGuyNamedMike
03-11-05, 12:00 PM
I can believe it. You roll your dice when you order a steak in a chain. Did an extraordinary cut slip into the restaurant's meat order, and did you luck out to get it? Can the grill chef on duty tonight cook a good steak? Will the kitchen staff and server get it to your table in just the right amount of time? Consistency of high quality is what separates the truly great steak houses from the rest.

I, too, have had wonderful steaks in diverse and sometimes surprising places.

Ribeye at the NCO club in Vicenza, Italy
Prime Rib at the Chattanooga Choo Choo, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Filet de boeuf en croute (a filet wrapped with bacon and covered with a huge slab of sauteed goose liver) at La Toulouse, Berlin, Germany
Porterhouse at St. Elmo's in Indianapolis (the steak was great, but the bread pudding was insanely delicious)
Roadie Marinated sirloin with grilled onions at the Roadhouse here in Tallahassee (50/50 sometimes awesome sometimes meh)
Filet Mignon at The Sizzler in Petersburg, Virginia in my youth (it was here my mother taught me to appreciate a finely prepared steak)

al_bundy
03-11-05, 12:17 PM
they had an NCO club in Vicenza? How long ago were you there?

Red Dog
03-11-05, 12:30 PM
Best steak places are Ruth's Chris and Charlie Palmer IMO.

al_bundy
03-11-05, 12:53 PM
V Steakhouse makes a nice steak

Th0r S1mpson
03-11-05, 01:27 PM
Ah, so <i>that's</i> the "throw peanuts on the floor" place. Anyway, are they reasonable?
"We're the slip nuts! Slipping on nuts! Ooops! He slipped on a nut!"

grrrah
03-11-05, 01:46 PM
Filet Mignon at The Sizzler

:confused:

Am I understanding this right? (probably not)

iggystar
03-11-05, 02:00 PM
Montreal is good. Also, for something with some real zip, try this:

http://www.oakalleyplantation.com/miva/graphics/00000001/TONY'S%20MORE%20SPICE.jpg

That stuff is the bomb. Anything I need to season I use it. Yum.

Michael Corvin
03-11-05, 02:23 PM
Forget the steaks, Chili's has the best damn eggrolls ever.

ukywyldcat
03-11-05, 02:24 PM
Were you licking a dog's asshole shortly before eating this steak? That, or something equally as gross and bizarre would explain one actually enjoying a Chili's steak.

FunkDaddy J
03-11-05, 02:49 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that.

B.A.
03-11-05, 03:03 PM
I have only been to one Ruth's Chris (in Denver) and their filet was one of the best that I have ever had (if not the best).

My favorite steakhouse = Porter's (http://www.porterssteakhouse.com/)

Their grilled pepperloin is to die for. :drool: And so is just about anything else on the menu. And to top it off, it's less than five minutes away from the house.

The one national chain that I have been to that consistently has good steaks (for the price) is Longhorn.

Thanks a lot, jerks - now I am hungry as hell and I just ate lunch two hours ago. :mad:

PixyJunket
03-11-05, 03:21 PM
<b>MEAT & BEER!</b>

Hiro11
03-11-05, 03:26 PM
http://www.chicagochophouse.com/images/splash/CCHnightshot.jpg
:drool:

hail2dking
03-11-05, 03:37 PM
The Acropolis in Portland has some great steak... and charming atmosphere

squidget
03-11-05, 03:59 PM
Best: Drunken Ribeye @ Sweetwater Tavern. Pity there are only 3 locations and they are all in No.VA. Well pity for you, good for me. :D
Chilis was alright, they overcooked my steak so they lost points.
For chain restuarants:
Outback has a decent prime rib. I order it this way: - medium - season & seared with au jus sauce on the side.
At Longhorn get the ribeye, it's pretty damn good.
Texas Roadhouse and Logan's are exactly the same. Both are favorable in steak and in price.

AGuyNamedMike
03-11-05, 07:57 PM
they had an NCO club in Vicenza? How long ago were you there?

This would have been about 92 or 93 (it may have been an EM or all ranks annex, I don't really remember since by that time I was a DOD civilian). I made a couple of roadtrips around that time from my home digs in Berlin down to Naples (what a shithole) and back, once with my grandfather who had landed at Anzio back in WWII and then drove supply trucks up and down the western coast of Italy during our occupation there. The man had some great tales to tell about almost every little hamlet we passed, usually involving misappropriation of Army property and a beautiful young woman, and the periodic fistfight.

:confused:

Filet Mignon at The Sizzler

Am I understanding this right? (probably not)

The Sizzler was mighty different back in the 70s. It was considered a nice place to take a date (or a family on a special occasion) then, and as always with franchise operations, sometimes you get a place with a perfectionist manager who hires great kitchen staff and demands better tasting food. Yeah, nowadays I wouldn't waste my time or money by going to one.

Dmacsg1
03-12-05, 01:33 AM
Here in my neck of the woods, my favorite is Texas Roadhouse. Best steakhouse ever IMHO!!! And lets talk about their chili!!!:drool::drool:

I have a Logan's in the area and the food there is donkey ass!!

I have an Outback as well -ohbfrank- Overpriced and waaaayyyyy overhyped!!

Speaking of the Texas Roadhouse chili......does anybody know where I can get a copy of the recipie for this stuff? I was never a big chili eater until I tried this stuff. I would love to make this at home!

Take care all!!

RoQuEr
03-12-05, 03:02 AM
I had the Jamaican Top sirloin from hops restaurant this week; it's marinated in a pineapple, soy and ginger sauce for 3 days, and I think its one of the best steaks I've had in years.

Big Quasimodo
03-12-05, 07:51 AM
The key to Ruth's is that they cook and serve all their meats in a butter that doesn't congeal. That keeps the meat very tender/juicy and succulent. But to me, it sort of covers up the meat's flavour. Strangely enough, the best meat I ever had at Ruth's was their lamp chops - it was far better than even their fillet mignon.

:up: That's what I order. :drool:

rabbit77
04-02-14, 12:50 PM
I ordered a ribeye at Chili's for some reason last night and it was horrible. I think it was stored frozen for quite a while. Tasted like it was seasoned with hamburger seasoning. No marbling. As I cut into the meat, it looked like the cross section of a tree branch. Texture was similar to chewing three day old gum.

Sticking to their burgers and chicken from now on. At least the kids ate free.

Previous time I ordered a steak at a restaurant was at Cut at the Palazzo in Las Vegas, so this was a bit of a step down.

Why So Blu?
04-02-14, 01:04 PM
Don't think Chili's is known for their fancy steak prowess.

Hokeyboy
04-02-14, 01:12 PM
While perusing nine-year-old threads, does anyone stop and wonder why so many people were banned or suspended? Zoiks!

BTW best steak I ever had was at the St. Elmo's steakhouse in Indianapolis. So damn good.

Krayzie
04-02-14, 01:14 PM
I used to always get the chicken and ribs at chili's but this was 2012 ish. It wasn't bad.

DirkUSA
04-02-14, 01:17 PM
Don't think Chili's is known for their fancy steak prowess.

Rumor has it that their steaks were awesome in 2005!

:lies:

mike45
04-02-14, 01:29 PM
Best steak I ever had was in Argentina - nothing like cows with no hormones, essentially "free range" - the cows ate healthy food (no processed food, animal products, etc.), so the meat was incredibly good. Flavorful (and I like it well done, no comments from the peanut gallery :) ) tender, juicy, and, well, fantastic. No comparison to ANY meat I've had in the U.S.

Now I have to figure out how I am going to get to Argentina for dinner.

d2cheer
04-02-14, 02:02 PM
While perusing nine-year-old threads, does anyone stop and wonder why so many people were banned or suspended? Zoiks!

:wave: I do, I do!!

Too bad we never get to find out why though (for the ones I don't know the reason)...

madcougar
04-02-14, 02:06 PM
The steaks at Chili's are delicious because it's people.

andicus
04-02-14, 02:07 PM

BTW best steak I ever had was at the St. Elmo's steakhouse in Indianapolis. So damn good.

Yep. Noticed that, as well.

d2cheer
04-02-14, 02:12 PM
I have a feeling there will be a certain newbie added to that list pretty soon...

But really we should have a list and the reason why so we can mock and ridicule them; because we know many still lurk. (evil laugh) Muhwaaaaaaaaaaaaa...(if that is how it goes)

rabbit77
04-02-14, 02:35 PM

Why start a new thread when this one was here? I actually google searched steak review chili's and this came up at the top. So no need to wonder.

Edited to add - didn't notice someone else was bumping old threads. I swear, I had good intentions.

slop101
04-02-14, 02:39 PM
Gentlemen, I give you the best steak in the world, Miyazaki A5 (http://www.hydradeli.com/product02_eng.html):

http://i.imgur.com/BAUC4Li.jpg

That's a shot of a 4oz piece I actually ate last year. And beyond being the best steak I've ever had, it's widely considered the best beef in the world, and at around $200 a pound (if you can even buy it), it damn well better be!

rabbit77
04-02-14, 02:44 PM
That looks amazing. Where did you go to get that?

DirkUSA
04-02-14, 02:46 PM
That looks amazing. Where did you go to get that?

Not at Chili's that's for sure! :D

inri222
04-02-14, 02:51 PM
While perusing nine-year-old threads, does anyone stop and wonder why so many people were banned or suspended?

White male heterosexual christian persecution. :sarcasm:

MBoyd
04-02-14, 02:59 PM
One of the best burgers I ever had was at Chilis. Back in about 1982.

PenguinJoe
04-02-14, 03:25 PM
The best steak place I've ever been was in Kansas City at a place called Majestic. Celebs like Paul Rudd famously go there a lot.

http://www.majestickc.com/

Another great place I went for steak was Tony Roma's when I was in Texas. I think it's a chain and it's excellent.

rexinnih
04-02-14, 03:44 PM
Damn I want a steak now.

mndtrp
04-02-14, 04:26 PM
Steaks at chain restaurants seem to be overly seasoned. Sometimes they taste good, sometimes they don't. Steaks at nicer places let the meat speak for itself. Sometimes they taste good, sometimes they don't.

I've had terrible steaks at Ruth's Chris or the Chophouse here in Denver, and I've had excellent steaks at Outback of all places. It's gotten to the point where the only place that I can be consistently happy is at Texas Roadhouse, but that restaurant is a fucking nightmare to sit in.

dstrauss
04-02-14, 04:56 PM
Ruth's Chris makes good steaks. The best steaks I ever ate at a restaurant were a ribeye at The Palm in Atlantic City and a porterhouse at Bern's in Tampa.

About seven years ago I went on a cruise on the Regent Seven Seas Mariner with my father, who knew the dining room manager well. Every day for lunch I was served a one pound Kobe beef sirloin. Amazing flavor.

TomOpus
04-02-14, 05:16 PM
The best steak place I've ever been was in Kansas City at a place called Majestic. Celebs like Paul Rudd famously go there a lot.

http://www.majestickc.com/What about Savoy Grill?

dork
04-02-14, 06:31 PM
Gentlemen, I give you the best steak in the world, Miyazaki A5 (http://www.hydradeli.com/product02_eng.html):

http://i.imgur.com/BAUC4Li.jpg

Totoro? :sad:

slop101
04-02-14, 06:53 PM
Totoro? :sad:Not quite (Totoro would be cat-meat), Miyazaki is a prefecture in Japan where the cows are from - which is the same thing as "Kobe" beef, as Kobe is just the name of the prefecture that denotes where those cows are from. Kobe used be considered the best, now Miyazaki is. And since each prefecture slaughters around just 20 cows per year, that "kobe" burger you're ordering from your local pub is most likely NOT from actual Kobe cows. Unless it were $100, but then it would still be a waste because that meat is too good to turn into burger meat.

broadwayblue
04-02-14, 07:54 PM
Not quite (Totoro would be cat-meat), Miyazaki is a prefecture in Japan where the cows are from - which is the same thing as "Kobe" beef, as Kobe is just the name of the prefecture that denotes where those cows are from. Kobe used be considered the best, now Miyazaki is. And since each prefecture slaughters around just 20 cows per year, that "kobe" burger you're ordering from your local pub is most likely NOT from actual Kobe cows. Unless it were $100, but then it would still be a waste because that meat is too good to turn into burger meat.

Up until very recently the "kobe" burger or steak you ordered anywhere in the states was actually not kobe, since foreign beef was not allowed into the country.

Bronkster
04-02-14, 08:10 PM
When I visit my parents, they like to go to Chili's for lunch, and I've been getting the ribeye the last bunch of times we went. I'm no connoisseur but the steak is definitely good enough for me to want each time. Going again Friday! Ribeye! :drool:

JumpCutz
04-02-14, 08:40 PM
While perusing nine-year-old threads, does anyone stop and wonder why so many people were banned or suspended?
Zoiks!

Indeed. Tthough this thread isn't the best example as only 3 members have been banned/suspended in this particular thread. There are some old threads floating around where pretty much every participant has vanished or been vanquished. :eek:

tommyp007
04-02-14, 08:41 PM
Probably the best steaks I've had were at St. Elmos in Indy and at Del Friscos is Denver. Pricey but outstanding meals. As far as chains go, they are so hit and miss that I don't go to any of them with expectation of getting a steak as good as I can grill at home.

GoldenJCJ
04-02-14, 08:51 PM
One of the best burgers I ever had was at Chilis. Back in about 1982.
In the early to mid 90s, when Chili's was really pushing their "Big Mouth" Burgers they were actually quite good. The last few times I've been there their burgers were half the size they used to be and quite terrible.

As far as steaks go, I can't say I've eaten too many great steaks. Morton's Steak House had a pretty damn good one when I ate there a couple years ago. The worst steak I've ever had was at Applebee's. It was burned through and through...

DVD Polizei
04-02-14, 09:15 PM
That thing looks like bacon.

PenguinJoe
04-02-14, 11:25 PM
What about Savoy Grill?

I've never been to Savoy, but I visit my Aunt and Uncle who live in KC once every couple of years and I'll check it out next time I'm there.

TomOpus
04-03-14, 12:53 AM
I've never been to Savoy, but I visit my Aunt and Uncle who live in KC once every couple of years and I'll check it out next time I'm there.

Order the Caesar Salad. They assemble it from scratch tableside.

PhantomStranger
04-03-14, 01:16 AM
In the early to mid 90s, when Chili's was really pushing their "Big Mouth" Burgers they were actually quite good. The last few times I've been there their burgers were half the size they used to be and quite terrible.

As far as steaks go, I can't say I've eaten too many great steaks. Morton's Steak House had a pretty damn good one when I ate there a couple years ago. The worst steak I've ever had was at Applebee's. It was burned through and through...
Chili's really went down in quality around 10 years ago. They still have some of the tastier chain food if the location is well run, but that is rarer and rarer these days.

Living Dead
04-03-14, 01:41 AM
Taylor's Steakhouse (http://www.taylorssteakhouse.com/) in LA has the best steak I've ever had. It's called a Coulotte, which is the cap of a top sirloin. It has the tenderness of a filet but the flavor of a top. They've been around for 60 years, so I guess they're doing something right.

slop101
04-03-14, 02:06 AM
Up until very recently the "kobe" burger or steak you ordered anywhere in the states was actually not kobe, since foreign beef was not allowed into the country.It's been legal for a couple years now, but even if it were all along, they would never be at any regular establishment since they only slaughtered a couple dozen of those cows a year.

fumanstan
04-03-14, 02:14 AM
I've never been a big steak guy, but the best places i've been have probably been Ruth's Chris and Houston's. I really need to get around to Morton's or Flemings too.

nickdawgy
04-03-14, 04:09 AM
Why do people go to Ruth's Chris anyway? My buddy takes his wife there three or four times a year (birthdays, anniversary, Valentines day) and says he always spends $250 including wine and tip.

I'm sure the food is great but $250?

Sdallnct
04-03-14, 08:57 AM
I again, will give my recommendation for the quality of steaks at Costco. Their Choice NY Strip is my "house" steak. Though their Prime Ribeye is amazing as well (tho being Prime it gets pricy).

Their Choice is close to Prime. Recommended.

For cooking, I have two ways;

1. Cast Iron Pan inside. I use this method especially if I want to make a pan sauce.
2. Weber kettle grill over charcoal with a chunk wood (I'm more in fruit woods than say mesquite, but that is a personal preference).

Key elements of both methods,

Let steak come up to nearly room temp before cooking
Liberally season with salt and fresh ground pepper (kosher is fine)
Let pan or grill get vey hot. Very hot!
Depending on how hot and other factors, in cast iron cook just a couple minutes on side one, fip and put the whole thing in a 500 degree oven for 3-5 min.
On the grill in my set up, I can usually go 3-4 min per side, using the lid and steak will be done. If it needs another minute or two, ill move to indirect.
Let steaks rest several minutes under lose foil. I do this over a cooling rack so the steak exterior won't get soft from sitting in its own juices. You can pour back over the steak just before serving or use in a pan sauce.

But resting may be the most important part. If you do everything perfect and then cut into it immediately after coming off the heat, you will ruin it.

And Ruth Chris it way overrated. My wife likes to go there. They are consistent, but I don't think all that great. I like a good pan sauce on occasion (think steak au poivre). But I'm not into butter on my steak, and they always give me attitude about that.

MBoyd
04-03-14, 09:39 AM
I had a Costco NY stip on Saturday night. I never cook them in the house, but over charcoal. Pretty much same as yours but in the addition to kosher salt and pepper I add a little olive oil.

But I cannot get the wife to eat a steak with even a hint of red. She says it's a culture thing for her. She grew up in China. She won't even eat a runny egg.

Jason
04-03-14, 09:51 AM
That thing looks like bacon.

That's why it tastes so good.

As for the original, nine year old topic, I certainly believe that it could happen, but I wouldn't bank on it being anything but dumb luck. I once had an absolutely great hunk of cow at a Ponderosa. And to make it even more shocking, it was one of those all-you-can east events. I stopped with that one, because I knew the next one would be rubber again.

The Bus
04-03-14, 10:13 AM
I am not sure where you have gone wrong in life if the best steak you ever tasted was at Chili's.

Sdallnct
04-03-14, 10:13 AM
I had a Costco NY stip on Saturday night. I never cook them in the house, but over charcoal. Pretty much same as yours but in the addition to kosher salt and pepper I add a little olive oil.

But I cannot get the wife to eat a steak with even a hint of red. She says it's a culture thing for her. She grew up in China. She won't even eat a runny egg.

Might try in a super hot, well seasoned cast iron pan. I tried to link Alton Brown doing it, but looks like most of his stuff is paid/subscription now.

inri222
04-03-14, 10:16 AM
Let steak come up to nearly room temp before cooking
Liberally season with salt and fresh ground pepper (kosher is fine)
Let pan or grill get vey hot. Very hot!
Depending on how hot and other factors, in cast iron cook just a couple minutes on side one, fip and put the whole thing in a 500 degree oven for 3-5 min.

This is exactly how I do it except I add a bit of crushed garlic, freshly squeezed lime juice & olive oil.

Hokeyboy
04-03-14, 10:38 AM
Ruth's Chris is worth every penny. My wife and I go there once a year on our anniversary, and it's always worth the trip. I'd go more often, but I like to keep it a special, once-a-year endeavor. My wallet thanks me.

Morton's used to be great, but they cheapened out during the recession and started using lesser quality meat, generic-tasting appetizers, etc. Overpriced and underwhelming. At least it was the last few times I went there, around 2009. Smith & Wollensky was ALWAYS awful, yet people used to swear by them.

Chain restaurants are always a crap shoot, although I've never had a steak at any of them that was any better than "decent".

I've been wanting to go back to Indianapolis, just to visit St. Elmo's. :(

RichC2
04-03-14, 10:39 AM

Your wife is full of shit. I have a lot of family from China, they''ll eat a steak cooked just past raw and soft boiled eggs are one of their specialty breakfasts. She's just a picky eater and likes ruining good steak. Unless she was just around animals a lot and is paranoid about diseases.

Ruths Chris and Capital Grille are both pretty good, I go to them anytime I get a "presentation and a lunch" for IT stuff. They tried switching to Maggiano's once, attendance wasn't so good. But I agree, neither is worth the price when you can buy a piece of bacon wrapped filet for maybe $7 at a butcher shop, toss it into a cast iron skillet full of butter, sear and oven cook it to medium rare perfection in a total of what, 20 minutes?

Jason
04-03-14, 11:40 AM
Your wife is full of shit. I have a lot of family from China, they''ll eat a steak cooked just past raw and soft boiled eggs are one of their specialty breakfasts. She's just a picky eater and likes ruining good steak. Unless she was just around animals a lot and is paranoid about diseases.

It's probably just a family thing, which is where she gets her culture from. Hardly a reason to tell someone they're full of shit. Why do people get so goddamn upset about how other people cook a fucking piece of meat anyhow? The fiercest flame war I ever saw online was about well done steak. And a friend of mine was personally insulted I wouldn't try a chunk of his half-eaten, rare prime rib one time. What's the big deal?

RichC2
04-03-14, 11:42 AM
It was all in jest :lol: My family falls into a stereotype, they'll eat anything and it always makes me laugh. As for the steak thing, I don't know what the big deal is, sure well done is generally tough and dry with a lot less flavor, but some people only feel safe eating it that way so more power to them. I wouldn't eat seared Ahi for a long time for a similar reason.

It's food, it's preference. The only time I can see someone getting aggravated is if the person has only had well done steak and claims to not enjoy steak (I was in this boat until I was 17, since my dad always turned the steaks into leather). Sure, still none of their business but eh, that I get, but if people know what they like ya leave em alone.

MBoyd
04-03-14, 11:44 AM
:lol: She does like ruining a good steak. I found her boiling a gorgeous grass fed beef steak I'd picked up from Central Market about 4 years ago. We had a little chat.

RichC2
04-03-14, 11:50 AM
boiling you say? :lol:

fumanstan
04-03-14, 12:03 PM
Being Taiwanese, I've seen it be pretty common to not eat any hint of rare meat too actually and always thought it was an asian thing. My parents, family, and some friends have always been really picky about that.

RichC2
04-03-14, 12:10 PM
Makes sense, isn't it also a little more rare to just get a slab of meat in Asian countries? I mean, most dishes seem to have an integration of chunks of meat (and sometimes tendon and tripe), but never really slabs of it like they do in Western countries.

andicus
04-03-14, 12:27 PM
I again, will give my recommendation for the quality of steaks at Costco. Their Choice NY Strip is my "house" steak. Though their Prime Ribeye is amazing as well (tho being Prime it gets pricy).

Their Choice is close to Prime. Recommended.

snip...

I'd agree about Costco, but (at least in Canada) they've ruined their NY Strip and Rib-eye steaks by 'blade tenderizing' them. Once they're blade tenderized, you're supposed to cook them to a minimum internal temperature of 160F. The tenderizing process can push any surface bacteria into the middle of the steak, so medium rare temperature is not hot enough to kill the bacteria.

They now list the recommended minimum cooking temperature on the package, but as far as I'm concerned, it may as well read 'Cook this steak until it is ruined.'

Fortunately, they don't use the process on Tenderloin, so I will still buy that, on occasion. I buy my rib-eye steaks from a local butcher, now, but they're more expensive.

slop101
04-03-14, 12:32 PM
Had an amazing steak the other day - it was called a "24-Hour Hangar Steak".

The steak itself was a Wagyu style beef from Australia, not as good as something from Japan, but way better than anything from The States (save for Akauishi cows (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akaushi) from Texas), and it was cooked at 130 degrees for 24 hours, and it was amazing. Dry-aged, and rare, with just a bit of salt as seasoning, the flavor of the meat just explodes in your mouth, and it practically melts like butter on your tounge - you can literally cut it with the edge of your fork.

emanon
04-03-14, 12:34 PM
I'd agree about Costco, but (at least in Canada) they've ruined their NY Strip and Rib-eye steaks by 'blade tenderizing' them. Once they're blade tenderized, you're supposed to cook them to a minimum internal temperature of 160C.

Christ, I hope this is wrong.

fumanstan
04-03-14, 12:38 PM
Why do people go to Ruth's Chris anyway? My buddy takes his wife there three or four times a year (birthdays, anniversary, Valentines day) and says he always spends $250 including wine and tip.

I'm sure the food is great but $250?

I think I was under $200 when I went for Valentine's Day. As an occasional treat, I think its worth it over the steaks you would get at any other typical restaurant.

Makes sense, isn't it also a little more rare to just get a slab of meat in Asian countries? I mean, most dishes seem to have an integration of chunks of meat (and sometimes tendon and tripe), but never really slabs of it like they do in Western countries.

Yeah, that's true too. Most dishes seem to be cut up meat and well done, so I imagine seeing a large hunk of still bloody meat is a little weird.

andicus
04-03-14, 01:13 PM
Christ, I hope this is wrong.

Actually, it is partially wrong. I should've said 160F, not 160C.

Apart from that, it is unfortunately not wrong. Apparently, it's an issue in the U.S. as well:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/06/has-your-steak-been-mechanically-tenderized/index.htm

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-03-14, 01:16 PM
I think I was under $200 when I went for Valentine's Day. As an occasional treat, I think its worth it over the steaks you would get at any other typical restaurant.

Yeah, not worth it to me. You could give me the most amazing steak in the world, and I'm not gonna think it was worth $200 for two people. Different strokes.

EddieMoney
04-03-14, 01:27 PM
For $200, I'm saving my feces and recycling it into more "steaks."

slop101
04-03-14, 01:27 PM
Yeah, not worth it to me. You could give me the most amazing steak in the world, and I'm not gonna think it was worth $200 for two people. Different strokes.I don't think that's worth it either.

BUT, I do go to this one steak dinner night thingy a couple times a year, and it's $100 per-person. Now, that $100 includes at least 5 different cuts of steak (NY, rib-eye, skirt, etc.), from some of the best beef from around the world (Japan, Australia, etc.), it's practically all you can eat, it also includes awesome versions of at least 5 to 7 different traditional steak-house sides like creamed spinach, salads, fresh-baked bread/butter, asparagus, cheesy potatoes, etc. desert, wine/beer, tax, gratuity, all included in that $100, and being it's limited to just 15 people, everything is crazy fresh and perfect. I can't think of a better steakhouse deal. THAT, to me is more than worth it.

RichC2
04-03-14, 01:56 PM
I'm not going to lie, while it's a lot of money you most certainly can taste the difference in a lot of these things.

Worth it? Maybe.

The only cheaper chain I seem to get consistent food out of these days is Longhorn Steakhouse.

Hokeyboy
04-03-14, 01:59 PM
I'm not going to lie, while it's a lot of money you most certainly can taste the difference in a lot of these things.
:up: There's no question you can taste the difference. Whether the upcharge is worth it to you is left to the discrimination of the palate.

fumanstan
04-03-14, 02:08 PM
Yeah, not worth it to me. You could give me the most amazing steak in the world, and I'm not gonna think it was worth $200 for two people. Different strokes.

To be fair, you could just buy the steak by itself for $40-50 per person and skip the sides and drinks :p

But honestly, I'm not a big foodie guy and hate spending a lot of money on food too. Heck, i'm more of a fast food junkie and would be happy spending $1.50 on Costco hot dogs. I just don't mind going to a good steak place once in a blue moon as a nice treat.

mickey65
04-03-14, 08:06 PM
I had a pretty good t-bone steak at Denny's - $7.95 and covered the whole plate! I was blown away by it (the size). Very tasty.

GoldenJCJ
04-03-14, 10:59 PM
I've never had their steak. I usually just stick to the caviar and Duck a l'Orange when I dine at Denny's.

DaveyJoe
04-03-14, 11:02 PM
:lol:

nickdawgy
04-03-14, 11:53 PM
I'm simple. A steak at Black Angus is enough for me.

NotThatGuy
04-04-14, 12:29 AM
Ahh. Okay then.

**etc. **

This is exactly how I cook my steaks (if I don't have a grill available)....with the one addition of butter. :drool:

NotThatGuy
04-04-14, 12:48 AM

http://www.majestickc.com/

You have excellent taste sir! Another great KC steak house is The Golden Ox.

As for the best steak I've eaten....surprisingly two of the best were at casinos: "The Steakhouse" at Harrah's in Atlantic City and "The Steakhouse" at Circus Circus. I never thought I'd recommend anything at CC, but this place was excellent. It is old school like the G.O.

As for the chain restaurants mentioned: Capital Grille > Ruth Chris > Morton's > Houston's > Outback > Lonestar.

PhantomStranger
04-04-14, 01:04 AM
As for the chain restaurants mentioned: Capital Grille > Ruth Chris > Morton's > Houston's > Outback > Lonestar.
You know your steaks, sir.:thumbsup:

Outback is by far the most erratic place these days. Sometimes you get a good piece of steak, sometimes you don't. Their halcyon days in the '90s are long over.

RichC2
04-04-14, 11:24 AM
I used to love Outback, but it's been so fucking hit or miss these last few years.

Timber
04-04-14, 11:31 AM
I just have a hard time justifying buying a steak at a resturant. It's something that is so easy to make well at home that the price just isn't worth it to me. Now making a good burger at home is something that I've never been able to figure out.

TomOpus
04-04-14, 11:32 AM
I just have a hard time justifying buying a steak at a resturant. It's something that is so easy to make well at home that the price just isn't worth it to me. Now making a good burger at home is something that I've never been able to figure out.Cook it like you would a steak ;)

Flashback
04-04-14, 12:27 PM
"The Steakhouse" at Circus Circus. I never thought I'd recommend anything at CC, but this place was excellent. It is old school like the G.O.

I'll tell you. I knew someone who was meeting me in Vegas (from L.A.) for dinner who goes to Vegas many times a year.

He told me we where going to Circus Circus and I thought he was kidding.

He loves this steakhouse and so did I. It was definitely old school but it was very good.

RichC2
04-04-14, 01:54 PM
I just have a hard time justifying buying a steak at a resturant. It's something that is so easy to make well at home that the price just isn't worth it to me. Now making a good burger at home is something that I've never been able to figure out.

True, but I'd gladly pay decent money for a high quality aged steak cooked sous vide. Always wanted to try that :lol:

sauce07
04-04-14, 02:03 PM
I was in NYC for a bachelor party last weekend and we all went out to Peter Luger's. By far the best mean i've ever had, steak was excellent. But what's this I hear about Chili's?

d2cheer
04-04-14, 04:11 PM

I must agree here. We have a butcher in our town that cuts the best sirloins I have ever grilled and eaten.

slop101
04-04-14, 05:04 PM
I just have a hard time justifying buying a steak at a resturant. It's something that is so easy to make well at home that the price just isn't worth it to me.I'd agree, but, like I've detailed above, the steaks I get at a restaurant come from meat that I cannot buy at any grocery store or butcher. And even if I could import them, they'd cost me just as much as getting the same meat from those restaurants that serve it.

rocket1312
04-04-14, 05:33 PM
The best steak I ever had was when I was in Florence last year. It's known as bistecca alla fiorentina and it's the T-bone from these giant cows they have in Italy. The thing was a good 3 inches thick and they grill it on one side for a couple of minutes, turn it over and do the other side, then prop the thing up vertically on the bone and grill for another couple of minutes. It's as rare as rare can be on the inside, but it just melts in your mouth.

They price it by the kilo and you can't be sure how much you're going to pay because they just grab whatever piece of meat they picked up at the butcher shop that day. I think we paid 40 Euros per kilo for a piece of meat that was a little over 1 kilo. It ended up being about $60. My wife and I split it, so it wasn't a bad deal at all.

rabbit77
04-08-14, 11:00 AM
^I had that when I was in Florence, too. Steak florentine in Florence at a place called Da Ganino's. It was great.

inri222
04-08-14, 11:51 AM
I had a medium rare filet mignon over the weekend at a place called Sammy's in City Island, NYC. I've had t-bones, ribeye's, porterhouses, etc..., but this was the first time I have ever had filet mignon and it was delicious. It might just be the best steak I have ever had.

Noonan
04-08-14, 12:01 PM
The best steak I've had are the ribeyes I cook myself on my old cast iron pan. The only steak I get out is prime rib since it's not easy to do at home.

RichC2
04-08-14, 01:34 PM
I had a medium rare filet mignon over the weekend at a place called Sammy's in City Island, NYC. I've had t-bones, ribeye's, porterhouses, etc..., but this was the first time I have ever had filet mignon and it was delicious. It might just be the best steak I have ever had.

Yeah the butcher shop a few minutes from my house does filet mignon wrapped in bacon for a fairly reasonable price. That cut of meat is just amazing.

Flashback
04-08-14, 04:33 PM
Not sure what it is but I will take a Ribeye (bone in) any day over Filet Mignon.
Actually it is not even close.

Noonan
04-08-14, 04:35 PM
Filet is the best for texture but has very little flavor compared to other cuts. You need good fat marbling, which the ribeye is perfect for.

slop101
04-08-14, 08:22 PM
Skirt is fattier, and from the right cow (grass-fed rather than grain-fed (http://authoritynutrition.com/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-beef/)), is WAY tastier than the average ribeye, or even the ribeye from the same top-tier cow.

inri222
04-08-14, 10:12 PM
Skirt is fattier, and from the right cow (grass-fed rather than grain-fed (http://authoritynutrition.com/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-beef/)), is WAY tastier than the average ribeye, or even the ribeye from the same top-tier cow.

That diaphragm cut sure is tasty.

andicus
04-09-14, 11:38 AM
Filet is the best for texture but has very little flavor compared to other cuts. You need good fat marbling, which the ribeye is perfect for.

1000x this! :drool:

Flashback
04-09-14, 12:52 PM

I love skirt steak too. Absolutely.

RichC2
04-09-14, 03:40 PM
Filet has a mild though distinct flavor, it's excellent but it's more dependent on how you prepare it than most cuts. Wrapped in bacon (for fat), seasoned, tossed in a cast iron pan with butter and garlic, seared on both sides, then cooked to a rare or medium rare and it's pretty awesome. It's one of the cuts I greatly prefer cooked in a kitchen over a grill.

Otherwise skirt and ribeye are indeed awesome. Tri-tip makes for some tasty sandwiches but is still tough to find on this coast.

Just don't buy those walmart pre-wrapped medallions, I'm not even sure those things are real beef.

inri222
04-09-14, 04:20 PM
Cuban style skirt steak is amazing.

https://s1.yimg.com/cd/resizer/original/rkIC3tVx6znacQeG9vcFayFCSzY

eastonb
04-10-14, 08:51 AM
have you tried the one at Ruby Tuesday? it's pretty awesome

Noonan
04-10-14, 08:54 AM
Skirt is one of my favorites as well. I use a chimichurri style marinade and get a good sear on it. So quick/easy and tastes amazing.

inri222
04-10-14, 09:31 AM
have you tried the one at Ruby Tuesday? it's pretty awesome

No I have not. I think there is a Ruby Tuesday near my job. I'm going to have to pay them a visit one of these days for lunch.

Hokeyboy
04-10-14, 09:36 AM
I never thought I'd hear the words "Ruby Tuesday" and "awesome" uttered together in this lifetime.

inri222
04-10-14, 09:52 AM
I never thought I'd hear the words "Ruby Tuesday" and "awesome" uttered together in this lifetime.

Now you're scaring me, I've have never been to RT.

RichC2
04-10-14, 09:57 AM

Of the nationwide chains, Ruby Tuesdays actually ranks pretty highly imho. They completely overhauled their menu a few years ago and it's pretty solid these days. Especially when compared to the rapid declines of Applebees (never good), Chili's (used to be okay), and Outback (wtf assholes.) also Red Lobster and Olive Garden.

Their burgers are especially awesome. Plus they were one of the few that did the Pretzel buns correctly (not overly crunchy or ridiculously large).

Right now the only way they could revamp their image is to get rid of the salad bar, but then they risk alienating their prior clients. :lol:

Hokeyboy
04-10-14, 11:21 AM
To be fair, I haven't eaten at a Ruby Tuesday since probably around 2004. Everything tasted like cardboard covered with sauce and (per usual chain traditions) exponentially inundated with enough salt so that if you lay your dish flat on the ground you could set a land-speed record on it. It made me yearn for the exquisite culinary delights to be found on an airline.

MBoyd
04-10-14, 11:31 AM
Here's a restaurant/butcher shop in Austin I want to buy a steak at sometime.

http://www.saltandtime.com

We eat here every month or so but usually stick with apps and beer. They have awesome pickled vegetables and a salami board. The burgers are fantastic too. Earlier in the week they had a waygu steak that was about $70. Maybe sometime I will just buy one from the case and cook it at home.

inri222
04-10-14, 11:42 AM
Here's a restaurant/butcher shop in Austin I want to buy a steak at sometime.

http://www.saltandtime.com

Wow, this sounds good

House Made Products :

•Cane Syrup Bacon - pork belly rubbed in salt, spices and pure cane syrup then smoked.

devilshalo
04-10-14, 01:12 PM
This was my tapa de ojo de bife from Buenos Aires.

http://i61.tinypic.com/16hq2s6.jpg