Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tarzan 6-movie 3-disc Collection Part 2? WHEN!??!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-05, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Tarzan Collection starring Jonny Weismuller is one of the best dvds out there. 6 entertaining films (5 classics 1 not so IMHO). When are we going to get a release of the other 6? Any word please post.
Old 03-10-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WB has not given any word on this yet...also a thin man box similar to the tarzan box is supposed to be in the pipeline...hope we see that before a tarzan set myself.
Old 03-10-05, 03:48 PM

sounds good thanks for quick the reply
content with what I have
for now
Old 03-10-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, the additional 6 Weissmuller films never even showed up on VHS, so I wouldn't be looking for them any time soon.

But the good news is .... they are available in R4/Pal releases. Two separate DVDs, each with 3 movies, and priced about $8.00 (US) each DVD. With shipping, about $22 US from ezydvd.
Old 03-10-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but I was told (by some local retailers) that the first Tarzan set didn't sell very well (in comparison to other classic films box sets.) marty888's suggestion is probably your best bet.
Old 03-10-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i think the fist set was poorly advertised...not many print ads, and it didn't seem like they sent a ton of copies out for review. I also don't recall TCM playing them a few weeks before they came out, to get people asking.
Old 03-10-05, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
i think the fist set was poorly advertised...not many print ads, and it didn't seem like they sent a ton of copies out for review. I also don't recall TCM playing them a few weeks before they came out, to get people asking.
which is a shame, because if you haven't figured out already, we love the set and recommend it to every member on the board.
Old 03-10-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

agreed it is a good set. I just think Warner dropped the ball on campaigning for this one...it was recieved with little fan fare because many did not know it was out, or didn't have a chance to sample the movies...
Old 03-11-05, 01:22 AM
Cool New Member

There is good news here. The Warner Tarzan set sold VERY well. I would be very surprised if we didn't see the 7 RKO Weissmullers follow in the future......

I saw several ads for the 6 MGM pix they sold last year, and I'm sure that contributed to their success.
Old 03-11-05, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Zvbxrpl
There is good news here. The Warner Tarzan set sold VERY well. I would be very surprised if we didn't see the 7 RKO Weissmullers follow in the future......

I saw several ads for the 6 MGM pix they sold last year, and I'm sure that contributed to their success.
source of sales? Places you saw ads?
Old 03-11-05, 07:42 AM
Cool New Member

Source of sales? Neilsen VideoScan
Souce of ads? Premiere, Entertainment Weekly, etc. Many pubs.
Old 03-11-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

linky for the Neilsen Sales? it's not that I don't believe you, Just want some sales figures to compare.

Last edited by Cameron; 03-11-05 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-11-05, 09:20 AM

source of sales? Places you saw ads?
Sorry, I don't have any specifics either (I am not the original poster saying there were high sales). The movie companies are VERY PROTECTIVE of actual sales figures except when they issue a press release (with huge sales like Shrek 2, etc.). Band of Brothers, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones are the overall best selling boxsets of all time.

I have a resale license, business license and work in entertainment and dvds selling. From my perspective the Tarzan set sold very well. Just slightly less than a Looney Tunes Gold Collection set. Better sales than many sets that have been released. I know the Tarzan set had full distribution at Sams, BJs, Costco and Walmart (which is very difficult for many boxsets to get). It is possible that Warner wishes it sold better, but I very much doubt the sales were bad. It appeared to outsell Robocop, Pink Panther and other similar sets by a reasonable margin.

I have also read and been advised that Warner is at work on a 2nd box set of the other movies. It is in the pipeline. Hasn't even been a year since the original Tarzan release dvd set. I would bet we see the second boxset this XMAS or as late as summer 2006. But we will see it.
Old 03-11-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

johnglad: I'm not doubting your information, but it's almost the exact opposite as what I was told by my contacts in home video (retailers and press.) I guess it really is "who you talk to" anytime you discuss studio sales and expectations.

This is just conjecture on my part, but as the films in the Tarzan set were not sold separately, comparisons may vary with other box sets depending on whether or not the sales of the individual discs are considered in the equation.
Old 03-12-05, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by RevKarl
johnglad: I'm not doubting your information, but it's almost the exact opposite as what I was told by my contacts in home video (retailers and press.) I guess it really is "who you talk to" anytime you discuss studio sales and expectations.

This is just conjecture on my part, but as the films in the Tarzan set were not sold separately, comparisons may vary with other box sets depending on whether or not the sales of the individual discs are considered in the equation.
I hear ya. However, something needs to sell bad enough to actually lose money to not be profitable on dvd. When you look at the dvd market, that doesn't appear to be happening almost ever, if at all.
I mean we have 4 seasons of Sanford and Son as well as Goodtimes available on the market. Tarzan set outsells many, many titles. There really isn't any way to prove it, but when we see the 2nd set coming out we will know. The 2nd set will definitely sell worse that this first Tarzan set, so if the first one did really poorly they wouldn't do another.
I still say that full distribution in Sams, Costco, Walmart, BJs, Target, etc. is proof enough of their sales. Retailers were willing to stock it. Every Costco in the country got in 40+ copies. Many 4 disc sets beg to get shelf space at Walmart or Costco, and many fail. My bottom line is it is a great set and I have read that the 2nd set is on the long term radar. By next Summer 2006 mark my words.
Old 03-13-05, 10:34 AM

I would love to have the 6 RKO Tarzans. I haven't seen one since the AMC marathon of the late 90s. Even those showings were the first I'd seen since the 70s (when it seemed like they were on TV all the time).

I don't know how the first set did although it seemed I saw these in quite a few stores and several ads so public awareness should not have been the problem.
Old 05-10-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI for those who may have missed it. This was stated during the Warner Home Video chat over at HTF on March 29, 2005:

"QUESTION: [SteveO] Thank you for coming. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Thin Man
Collection and Adventures of Superman (hopefully multiple seasons). Are there any
plans for other classic "series" films (RKO Tarzan, Saint/Falcon, etc.) or Signature
Collections of non Thin Man Powell/Loy or Pre-Code films. Please keep up the great work.

ANSWER: [WarnerHomeVideo] The RKO Tarzans are on our radar but no date set yet. Big Pre-code
set coming in 2006 with surprises. THE THIN MAN collection will be a 7 disc set with
all 6 films, plus a bonus disc."

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=230295
Old 02-25-06, 08:55 AM

Current update on the next Tarzan set. As stated by Warner Brothers HTF chat on Feb 21, 2006.
QUESTION: "Are there any plans on continuing with the remaining Weissmuller Tarzans from RKO Tarzan Collection Vol. 2, and will it be in the same packaging, also any plans on The Picture of Dorian Gray, by the way thank you for the up coming chat for animation!!! END QUESTION

ANSWER FROM WARNER BROTHERS [Warner] Thanks, Dana. We own ALL the classic Tarzan films. We hope for the Weissmuller RKOS to come out next year, followed by Lex Barker, etc. We also plan to do DORIAN GRAY next year (yes, with color inserts) and the packaging for TARZAN will be similar to last year's big hit." END ANSWER

Link to whole chat here: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...06htfchat.html

Sounds like they were happy with the first set to me. We just have to wait a little longer for another batch, but a 3rd set seems to be on the radar after that as well. Sounds great to me.
Old 02-25-06, 02:18 PM

This chat revealed that WHV has plans to release many of their popular "series" films over the next several years. Tarzan was great news, but we also heard that Andy Hardy, Maisie, Dr. Kildare, Charlie Chan (Monogram), the Saint/Falcon (and other mysteries) are all being planned. They Bowery Boys have been delayed pending finding better elements. I will buy each and every one of these (probably more than 1 copy to give as gifts).

I was just happy to hear about the RKO Weismullers. Finding out that they've got Lex Barker on the radar made my jaw hit the floor.
Old 07-31-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Warner Home Video just put out a press release, announcing THE TARZAN COLLECTION VOLUME 2 (six films; three discs).
Details over at HTF:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=239229
Old 07-31-06, 09:36 PM

Tarzan Collection Volume 2 with the last 6 Weissmuller films slated for release on October 31, 2006. All 6 never before released on dvd and available in the box set only with a CHEAP MSRP of $39.94. Should sell for $30 or less in retail stores for 6 movies.
Old 08-01-06, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll hopefully get around to finally watching set 1 before this comes out. I'm so far behind in viewing right now.
Old 08-01-06, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember seeing the Ron Eli or (Ele) who played tarzan in the TV series. I would like to see that series on DVD.
Old 11-24-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

did anyone pick this up. is it in think packs?
Old 11-25-06, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

did anyone pick this up. is it in think packs?
It's a digipak... just like Vol. 1, but in slimmer packaging.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.