DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Avatar idea...sorry in advance

chess
03-10-05, 09:42 AM
I know avatar questions get old, but bear with me. This could make DVDtalk some money.

Could we create a database of DVD covers for people to use as avatars? The jpeg/gif avatars could be user submitted or drawn from an existing database like the ones we use for "coming soon" and "new reviews" and selected by forum members from a menu. Presumably, people could put up the cover of their favorite film/dvd...or at least one that fits them somehow.

We could avoid people putting up inappropriate avatars because everything in the menu would be moderator approved. Also, all avatars would presumably be the same size, shape, and type so as to not be too distracting or bandwidth consuming.

The money part: The avatars could each be clickable to Amazon (or to the DVDtalk price search engine) with a DVDtalk referral link. So most posts would have an avatar with a referral link to its corresponding movie, resulting in presumably increased referral funds for DVDtalk.

<--- Picture a jpeg of the Matrix (for example) DVD cover here linkified with a DVDtalk referral number

I don't know enough about HTML or forum dynamics to know how big of an undertaking this would be, but I think it could be a win-win. I would guess that it would be a bit of work in the beginning, but once the database is built, additions would just trickle in with new releases and cult favorites.

What could be a better avatar in DVDtalk than a DVD cover? Just a thought, and sorry (again) for bringing up avatars (again). :)

pilot
03-10-05, 10:43 AM
not sure if the forum has a feature to make avatars clickable for a url.....neat idea..though the cover maybe so small you wouldn't notice what movie it is for

chess
03-10-05, 10:50 AM
not sure if the forum has a feature to make avatars clickable for a url.....neat idea..though the cover maybe so small you wouldn't notice what movie it is for

Yeah, making them clickable and creating the list to choose from were the two biggest obstacles I could think of.

As for size, I suggest using the same ones that we have in the "coming soon" database. They are large for avatars, but they wouldn't interfere with reading posts since they'd be off to the side.

The cover that's currently popping up in my "coming soon" block above is 111 x 160 pixels: http://www.dvdtalk.com/covers/B0007PID84.jpg

It also links directly to amazon with a DVD talk referral, somehow, but you may be right about making that feature work in the avatar area. But if it's possible, that's 1) a lot of "free" advertizing space and 2) a solid solution to the whole avatar issue. Hell, even if they aren't linkable, allowing folks to use images in the existing database as avatars may make sense.

Regardless, thanks for not chastizing me for bringing up the topic AGAIN. ;)

Groucho
03-10-05, 12:10 PM
I sure hope at least one of those covers features a brooding anime character!

chess
03-10-05, 12:12 PM
I sure hope at least one of those covers features a brooding anime character!

...preferably an animated one? ;)

pilot
03-10-05, 12:19 PM
the problem with that chess is, if I were to use a image that size for example, and make a one line post, it would therefore make my entire post like 8 more lines or something, using up more bandwidth ..our covers database isn't viewable..we'd have to create some sort of ..way to figure out what image is what as each image is linked individually..they're not named ..uses the same filename as amazon does..

chess
03-10-05, 12:38 PM
the problem with that chess is, if I were to use a image that size for example, and make a one line post, it would therefore make my entire post like 8 more lines or something, using up more bandwidth ..our covers database isn't viewable..we'd have to create some sort of ..way to figure out what image is what as each image is linked individually..they're not named ..uses the same filename as amazon does..

I agree that they're pretty big, but since you already have them and they already have Amazon filenames (assuming I understand what you're saying) it would probably be the easiest way to assemble the initial database.

As for sorting them out, would that really be necessary? It seems like you could just make them "searchable" through Amazon (i.e. find your DVD on Amazon and add the extension to http://www.dvdtalk.com/covers). Then just make www.dvdtalk.com/covers the only viable avatar source and add the referral link automatically to the end of everyone's avatar URL. It would be a pretty basic set of instructions, and you wouldn't even have to put together a database.

I'm making a lot of assumptions here based on very limited knowledge of HTML and such, but it seems doable.

The size is still problematic though, since you'd probably want to limit the size to something like 60 x 80 or about half the size of this:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/covers/B0007LXP5Y.jpg

Is there a way to shrink the size of the existing database or automatically through the avatar options? Regardless, I think a single line response and the average (bloated) signature line would be bigger than the current image size. Then there's the bandwidth issue...although the added revenue might be worth it.

I'm not trying to argue a case or anything, as I know that I am way out of my depth. It was just a thought. Thanks for entertaining it.

chess
03-10-05, 12:46 PM
testing...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/covers/B0002Y69NG.jpg

Did it!!! Got the dvdtalk image with just the amazon extension.

I'm sure if I can pull it off, you could train any animal with opposing thumbs to do it.

Breakfast with Girls
03-10-05, 01:05 PM
There's a way to do it with Amazon Web Services, but it would require an extra user interface and some code modification. Geoff's pretty much shown since the last upgrade that he's not interested in customizing vBulletin.

fumanstan
03-10-05, 02:06 PM
That's a neat idea for Avatars, i'd be up for it if it was easy to implement. Probably not worth the hassle if it requires some time to set up though.

chess
03-10-05, 02:38 PM
That's a neat idea for Avatars, i'd be up for it if it was easy to implement. Probably not worth the hassle if it requires some time to set up though.

Thanks. As far as set up goes, this is the best I've come up with:

I'm guessing that you could have "http://www.dvdtalk.com/covers/" forced into the avatar option blank (no other options). The member then finds the reference number for his/her DVD cover on Amazon and tags it onto the end (fairly simple instructions)...then have the system automatically add the referral code link to the end along with the ".jpg" (invisible to the member) when the avatar is submitted.

Downsides: physical size of existing photos and increased bandwidth

Upsides: very little effort to implement and moderate, increased referral $$$ (presumably), and increased member loyalty/morale (ok, that's a reach).

I'm sure someone more knowlegable could come up with something better.

GuessWho
03-10-05, 04:23 PM
avatars = just one more thing (like signatures) that i have to disable in my settings

chess
03-10-05, 05:25 PM
avatars = just one more thing (like signatures) that i have to disable in my settings

i can disable sigs? Interesting.

(...goes to disable signatures in his settings)

Fok
03-15-05, 12:56 PM
Good idea, sounds like it might be hard to do.

chess
03-28-05, 01:20 PM
....was worth a shot.

BeanDip0001
03-30-05, 09:10 AM
that idea sounds cool, but that would be a real pain to do all the scripting to get it to work right.

um i'll have it done in a year if you guys feed me lobster and triple espressos 12 hours a day

dick_grayson
03-30-05, 09:22 AM
I know avatar questions get old, but bear with me. This could make DVDtalk some money.

well, you got Geoff's attention :D

BrianYuen
04-05-05, 04:51 PM
but i dont understand how every other forum has avatars but we dont.....

The Bus
04-22-05, 09:51 AM
Just do the Charlie Goose thing and post your avatar within each message you have. :)

I do like the idea above. That, or just charge $10 for an avatar.