Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Country Singer Chris LeDoux Passes Away

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-09-05, 05:25 PM
Hud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Country Singer Chris LeDoux Dies at 56

By ROBERT W. BLACK, Associated Press Writer

CHEYENNE, Wyo. - Chris LeDoux, a world champion bareback rider who parlayed songs about cowboys he knew on the rodeo circuit into a successful country music career, died Wednesday from complications of liver cancer. He was 56.

LeDoux died Wednesday in Casper, according to Judy McDonough, spokeswoman for Capitol Nashville, LeDoux's recording company.

He had checked into the hospital this week following complications from his cancer and was with family and friends at the time of his death.

"All of us at Capitol Records and EMI Music are saddened at the passing of Chris," said Capitol Nashville President and CEO Mike Dungan. "In a world of egos and soundalikes, he was a unique artist and a wonderful man. We have always been proud to represent his music, and honored to call him our friend."

In November, LeDoux canceled several tour dates while undergoing treatment for cancer of the bile duct. He had undergone a liver transplant in 2000 after a lengthy illness.

LeDoux described his music as a combination of "Western soul, sagebrush blues, cowboy folk and rodeo rock 'n' roll."

By 1989, LeDoux had released 22 albums. They were mostly cassettes produced by his parents, which he sold at concerts and rodeos. He had a loyal, if limited, fan base.

But that all changed that year when Brooks had a hit with "Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)," which included the line: "A worn-out tape of Chris LeDoux, lonely women and bad booze/seem to be the only friends I've left at all."

The song came at a time when LeDoux's career was sputtering with an independent label and no marketing.

"And here he comes along and mentions the worn-out tapes in his song," LeDoux said of Brooks in an interview with The Associated Press in 2001. "To me, Garth, he's kind of like my guardian angel. It's like every time I need some help, he's there."

LeDoux soon became a country star, teaming up with Brooks for the Top 10 hit, "Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy," in 1992.

LeDoux (pronounced luh-DOO) had been playing guitar and harmonica and writing songs since his teens, and he used his musical skills to help pay for his rodeo entry fees in his younger years.

He recorded songs about cowboys, the ups and downs of the rodeo circuit and his adopted home of Wyoming. In 1976, he became the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association's world bareback champion.

In 2003, he released the album "Horsepower" and celebrated career sales of more than 5 million albums.
Old 03-09-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is hard to take in for me, being a big country music fan. I've been a fan of his for many years. I actually thought he got over his problems, which is why this has shocked me.
Old 03-09-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Garth sang it best..."God Bless Chris LeDoux!"
Old 03-10-05, 09:24 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by jpdude
Garth sang it best..."God Bless Chris LeDoux!"

Sad news.
Old 03-10-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

oddly enough i had not seen this on any news shows in nashville...
Old 03-10-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm new to country music, having just gotten into it about a year ago, and I don't know much about LeDoux, is there a greatest hits album? or can someone make a reccommendation on which album of his to pick up? Thanks.
Old 03-11-05, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was floored when I read this. This is the first that I have heard of his passing as well.

I've got a few of his CDs. Great stuff.

He does have a "Greatest Hits" out, as well as a "Best Of", which is much more appropriate in his case, since not a lot of his songs were "hits". Regardless, there are more songs on his Greatest Hits, so that would be the best one to get.
Old 03-11-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts
Rest in Peace Chris. You will be missed. My sister works at CMT and she called and told me as soon as she heard Wednesday. I knew he had not been well. 56 is a young age to pass away at.
Old 03-14-05, 03:16 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts
Garth Brooks' owes this man everything.

RIP Cowboy.
Old 03-14-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 03-14-05, 08:04 PM

Wow - this is a shock. I'm into country music, and while I'm not a huge fan I enjoyed a fair amount of his music. He always seemed young and like he was going to be around for a while.