Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ring: Collectors Edition. Any reviews?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-05, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to find anything about this. Does anyone know of anywhere with reviews or impressions? Thanks.
Old 03-07-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On DVDAnswers they had some details on how long the extras were, and it looked like they added up to maybe 45min or so. Seems like they could've made it a 1-disc SE easy.
Old 03-07-05, 08:44 PM
boe
Suspended

Originally Posted by surfingelectrod
I can't seem to find anything about this. Does anyone know of anywhere with reviews or impressions? Thanks.
Possilby one of the worst films I've seen in my entire life. OH NO there’s a little girl coming after me I'm almost as afraid of an angry pug puppy. Holy CRAP this movie was bad. Set aside being afraid of a little girl, it was slow moving, unpleasant to follow, and tedious. It was about as interesting/scary as a documentary on the history of aglets - frankly I'd rather see the extras on that disc.

I was dumb enough to see this at the movies and I paid for the whole unpleasant experience. I've only experienced one other thing in my life that was that unpleasant but at least the proctological exam served a purpose. Save yourself the money and get dead alive or some bad horror flick that at least doesn't pretend to be artistic. Buying this DVD will only encourage the producer to make more bad stuff. I'm guessing they made TWO the same day they threw together the first half of this horrendous movie.

If it weren't for the fact that I was with someone at that moment I would have leapt to my feet fleeing that movie whilst flailing my arms from left to right. Yes, I saw the film a while ago but the wounds still seem fresh.

Last edited by boe; 03-07-05 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...wow
Old 03-07-05, 09:01 PM

I didn't find it scary. Movies cannot be scary, because they are fake. I know how special effects are done, so it's not scary at all. I was planning to see Ring Two, and saw that this came with a ticket with a max value of 10.50.

15 - 10.50 = 4.50 for the DVDs.
Old 03-07-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey people, this thread is asking for reviews of the dvd. Saying the movie sucks is a threadcrap and not allowed. You are entitled to your opinions, but not in this thread.
Old 03-07-05, 09:06 PM
boe
Suspended

Whoops - sorry - my bad - I thought they were asking about the movie - please disregard.
Old 03-07-05, 09:31 PM

Even though i liked the movie, i thought that thread crap was funny. There seems to be a large split on this movie as compared to other "horror" genre films. Its amazing the mixed emotions it brings up.
Old 03-08-05, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, it is the same DVD that was originally issued with another dvd packaged with it. The second disc is a short film that is supposed to set-up the second film.
Old 03-08-05, 01:20 PM

Plus it includes a free ticket to RING 2.
Old 03-08-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
You know, the studios could at least offer to sell the extra disc by mail order if they're not even re-doing the first disc. Us OCD folk only have so much money.
Old 03-08-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I already have the Ring and can't see me rebuying this for the extra disc only....even with a free ticket.
Old 03-08-05, 02:18 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The back of the disc (which I haven't had a chance to watch) show:

"RINGS: Exclusive Short Film"--

Thrill-seeking teens. A mysterious videotape. A journey into the unthinkable. This exclusive short film uncovers the terrifying and secret connection between THE RING and THE RING TWO.

"The Cursed Videos"--

The three deadly cursed videotapes featured in THE RING, THE RING TWO and the international cult hit, RINGU!

"The Origin of Terror: The Phenomenon of Urban Legends"

"Never-Before-Seen Interviews With The Stars and Filmmakers!"

There is are no running times listed on the packaging for any of these featurettes (though imdb.com shows a running time of 16 minutes for "Rings"), nor the disc as a whole. In addition to these featurettes, www.dvdanswers.com features some menu shots of this disc that also reference the original theatrical trailers for THE RING and THE RING TWO. Since the trailer for THE RING was perhaps the best trailer released for a film in the 2000s, this one feature would have been enough to inspire me to buy this rerelease. Lastly, there is no mention as to whether the short film "Rings" is directed by Gore Verbinski, Hideo Nakata or some third alternative.

Last edited by Filmmaker; 03-08-05 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-08-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
You know, the studios could at least offer to sell the extra disc by mail order if they're not even re-doing the first disc. Us OCD folk only have so much money.
But you're a revenue stream for the studio! Their bottom line is depending on you.
Old 03-08-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
I wouldn't be shocked if the content on the "Rings" DVD ends up on the "Ring 2" DVD.
Old 03-08-05, 07:06 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Well, just watched the "Rings" short film (which is directed by a third party) and, while a tad over the top and overly self-important, in the end, it was a pretty nice piece of work...I'm more jazzed for the sequel film than ever now. Oh, and the menu shots at www.dvdanswers.com are correct--the stupendously bad-ass trailer for THE RING (the one I almost needed counseling for when it failed to appear on the initial DVD release of THE RING) is present; the trailer for THE RING TWO is the teaser which, while cool, isn't as slick as the full trailer. Here's hoping Dreamworks won't deny us that one when THE RING TWO hits DVD...
Old 03-08-05, 07:28 PM

I went to go buy this from Target today- Walmart did not have any. I get to the register with a CC ad for a 2-3.00 price match, when I find out that Target DOES NOT PRICE MATCH! I said that I was not going to buy it from them, and that I was never coming back. All major retailers pricematch, and Target's inability to lost them a customer. I'm going to buy it from BB tommorrow. Thanks for the short review, Filmmaker.
Old 03-08-05, 08:57 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
is the free movie ticket in the ring dvd or the bonus dvd? Because I'd only buy if I could resell the ring movie and it is worth more unopened.
Old 03-08-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Got mine today from Walmart, and no ticket! Anyone else who got theres, what case was the ticket in?
Old 03-08-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
But you're a revenue stream for the studio! Their bottom line is depending on you.
I'll wait for a used copy. I've found plenty of goodies for my collection that way.
Old 03-09-05, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by g
is the free movie ticket in the ring dvd or the bonus dvd? Because I'd only buy if I could resell the ring movie and it is worth more unopened.
The movie ticket is in the Rings bonus movie case. You don't need to open the original Ring dvd case.

Last edited by bdhart; 03-09-05 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-09-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bdhart
The movie ticket is in the Rings bonus movie case. You don't need to open the original Ring dvd case.
And, just to be clear, The Ring DVD is sealed.
Old 03-09-05, 09:54 AM
Banned

Is the original Ring trailer on any other dics as bonus trailers?
Old 03-09-05, 11:12 AM
Banned

cardaway, it is on the DVD of RINGU, the original Japanese version of this story.
Old 03-09-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, but wasn't that just the "DVD version" of the trailer, and not this super-bad-ass theatrical trailer that everyone is clamoring for (which I haven't seen and am curious as to the calibur of bad-assness contained therein)?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.