Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

So should I just settle for the Cool Hand Luke disc out there now?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-05, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been wanting to get this on DVD for so long. It has been 17.99-19.99 for the longest time in my area, It is an incredible movie, but I don't know what to expect from this transfer or sound. The DVD seems to have a price break at 9.99 now, so can anyone who owns this tell me what to expect on the quality of the disc? Several DVD review sites, and nothing for this classic film. (here, ign, dvdauthority, review)
Or if Warner will produce one of their great double disc sets for this great movie?
Old 03-12-05, 06:09 AM
Lark

There's some opinions from a few years back on the DVD here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96316

To sum it up, one person says the transfer is "excellent" and another says the DVD is "reasonable" but doesn't comment on the transfer.

Here's the relevant bit from DVDEmpire's review:

"The DVD is presented in 2.35:1 widescreen and it looks great. This film is one of those prime examples that needs to be seen on DVD after being tortured for years on regular television. The transfer allows more details to be seen. Scenes such as the visit from his mother (Jo Van Fleet) are more poignant when we see that she is trapped in the wheelchair, which is tied into the back of the truck. We also get to see the eerie tribute to the crucifixion in the final church scene.

The audio is presented in monophonic Dolby Digital and it comes off as sometimes tinny. Other scenes such as the classic soundtrack come through sparkling clear.

Extras include production notes, theatrical trailer and English, French and Spanish subtitles."

Last edited by Lark; 03-12-05 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-12-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

COOL HAND LUKE on R1 DVD

Here's a review of COOL HAND LUKE from DVD Maniacs. I haven't watched my disc in over two years, but I remember it being a pretty solid anamorphic transfer - for the time - and the cinematography by Conrad Hall is excellent.

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/A-..._hand_luke.htm
Old 03-12-05, 11:54 PM

ok, some of these I remember back from dvdangle(r.i.p) saying the transfer was a lot better than expected. but the audio had hiss or something.
thanks for the links.