Community
Search
DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Traders beware

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traders beware

I was hoping I would never have to do this but i'm pretty sure i've been ripped off. I know that normally I should report this to Mao but this trade was with a Canadian and according to what I read in the "trade at your own risk" thread that im not to do that. The trade was with,
Tassadar (Will Stewart) +2 on the good traders list
The trade was setup on 1/29/05. I have made enough trades with Canadians to know that it can take up to a month. Which i've waited for but after 4 emails with no response over the last couple of weeks I have to presume that its never coming. So im posting this here as a warning. I have not seen him on here since we made the trade. I think that im over 300 trades and this is the first one for me thats gone bad. Its kind of strange because I held mine for a week because something just didnt feel right but I didnt want the trader to be miffed at me. Obiviously if it shows up I will delete this but my hopes aren't very high.
Old 03-06-05, 05:28 PM

sorry to hear that Logic...is he from Montreal? give me his address and i'll go to his house for u
Old 03-06-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Logic7 - I think you are right to be skeptical about him. He is a +2 on the GTL I think only from purchasing things from other DVD Talkers. He had Spinal Tap and Sid & Nancy CC's that he was offering for trade. We were supposed to make a trade for the Sid & Nancy CC, but I said he'd have to ship first. He agreed. That was about two weeks ago and I haven't heard anything from him since. I'm glad I made that "ship first" stipulation or I'd probably be minus quite a few discs. I'd also like to note that I saw this guy pop up at the HTF trading page as well, so beware.

Here are my suggestions to honest traders:

* Make anyone less than Gold ship first unless you've dealt with them before. If you yourself are not a Gold Trader, at least arrange to ship on the same day and require a delivery confirmation (though not available with Canadian shipping, I'm told).
* The term "Gold Trader" can be misleading since it's possible for someone to get 11 positive feedback posts and become gold just for buying 11 things from others. Be sure the trader has actually had to exchange goods with someone or has sold something on DVD Talk before. Other references are helpful, too, such as e-bay feedback. Personally, I don't hold e-bay feedback in very high regard here, as there isn't a corporate entity overseeing the transactions here and no objective proof that a deal was struck (such as an auction item listing URL for e-bay that shows the seller/buyer/price/date info all right there).
* I'll only pay with PayPal for something on DVD Talk. If the item is substanstial enough, Purchase Protection is well worth the price.
* Don't be hasty. e-mail back and forth a few times. If the trader you're communicating with appears to have the intellectual capacity of a slug, don't trade with them. Or make them ship first.

To Not-so-Honest Traders:

In the end, you really don't want to rip someone off. Even if we don't have your REAL name, at the very least we have your address. You really don't want to receive an ill-gotten DVD and an envelope full of anthrax in your mailbox on the same day, do you? Mwahaha!

Last edited by Dane Marvin; 03-06-05 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-06-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Even if we don't have your REAL name, at the very least we have your address. You really don't want to receive an ill-gotten DVD and an envelope full of anthrax in your mailbox on the same day, do you? Mwahaha!
I like the way you think
Old 03-06-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Erick im affraid he's on the other end of Canada. However if there's someone out west that wants to break his legs let me know and i'll give you the address
Old 03-06-05, 09:45 PM

I'm doing the same dance with him now. I insisted he send first so basically the only inconvenience is that I am holding my dvd for him. What's odd is that he still agreed to ship first... Why go through that trouble with no hope of getting anything out of me for nothing? This is why I am giving him the benefit of the doubt until a deadline I set of this Wednesday at which point I will consider the pending trade null and void and forward the email history to Mao.
Anyway, my concern for requiring he ship first, besides it being a New Member trade to Canada, was the following entry for a bad trader in the GTL list which was too close to a coincidence for me not to consider:
Styles Stewart (DC_Warrior) [-2] (North Vancouver, BC, Canada)
Old 03-06-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd bet money its the same person. The address matchs.