Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does George Clooney remind you of Cary Grant?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was watching a bit of The Peacemaker on tv today and was thinking how he's the one actor living today most like Cary Grant. It's a shame George Clooney isn't doing better movies or at least more movies. I know George will never compare to him but he could at least try being this generation's Cary Grant.
Old 03-06-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm quite proud of that one...
Old 03-06-05, 05:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Physically? maybe... acting ability? not really...
Old 03-06-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grant could be in a scene that made him look foolish, but he could still be charming. On the other hand, George Clooney probably wouldn't even agree to the movie with said scene in it if there's the possibility it might affect his masculine image [Bat-nipples being an error of judgement].
Old 03-06-05, 10:24 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
He's very much like Grant, and as far as him being in bad pictures, well, he's in lots of movies by people like Soderbergh, the Coens, and David Russell, so what more could one want?
Old 03-06-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by evitagen
Grant could be in a scene that made him look foolish, but he could still be charming. On the other hand, George Clooney probably wouldn't even agree to the movie with said scene in it if there's the possibility it might affect his masculine image [Bat-nipples being an error of judgement].
Guess you've never seen O Brother, Where Art Thou? or Intolerable Cruely.
Old 03-06-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not nearly as suave!
Old 03-06-05, 11:20 AM

I think the difference is that Clooney only did O Brother and Cruelty. I'm sure that it's so it doesn't take away from his leading man image, but what isn't understood is that the exact thing that is being downplayed is one of the main things that made Cary Grant the leading man he was.
Today, it seems the "leading man" has to appeal to chicks (i.e. be eye candy and masculine). What made Cary Grant a true leading man is that he could be those things, but he also had an amazing comedic timing. He could be suave, trying to take command of a situation, and then he finds out his aunts are killing people and hiding the bodies in a basement, and the take he does is hilariously perfect.
He's widely recognized as a great actor and with good reason. He's been in some of the best suspense movies of all time (North by Northwest and Notorious), but when you ask Cary Grant fans what their favorite movies are, the answers you get will include those films in the same breath as Arsenic and Old Lace, Charade, His Girl Friday and the Philadelphia Story.
I really think that what made him stand apart is he could have fit in perfectly in a great drama like Gone With the Wind, or just as easily been right at home goofing off with Hope and Crosby in one of the Road movies.
Sorry for the rambling. I had the chance last year to go to a talk given by Cary Grant's agent for like the last 30+ years of his life, and just have gained an immense respect for the guy and don't see anyone coming close to his caliber.
Old 03-06-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

F'ck No! Don't compare Clooney to Grant. Maybe a bit in looks, but style, acting, career, not even close.
Old 03-06-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a superficial level, Clooney reminds me more of Clark Gable than Cary Grant, both in appearance and manner. Watching O Brother Where Art Thou? it seemed to me that Clooney played up his delivery to be like Gable's, not an imitation, but the same sort of forceful, clipped way of speaking. It certainly wasn't Clooney's regular speaking voice.
Old 03-06-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a world of difference between playing at having class, and actually having it.
Old 03-06-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
There's a world of difference between playing at having class, and actually having it.
I think that really defines the difference.
Old 03-06-05, 05:27 PM

Now here is actor who should play STEVE AUSTIN:THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN..
Please someone in hollywood get the right people to get this done thanks.....
Old 03-06-05, 05:31 PM

Yes, yes, and yes. I said the same thing recently to a friend.
Old 03-06-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

George Clooney is cool and yeah I would say he is much like Cary Grant.
Old 03-06-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not even a little bit.
Old 03-07-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a big fan of both actors, and I don't see any real similarities, personally.
Old 03-07-05, 03:50 AM

Am I crazy?

Now this may seem completely insane, but I whenever I see Chow Yun Fat, I'm always reminded of Cary Grant. Obviously not the same in terms of physical appearence, but in terms of attitude and body movement, the two seem very similar.

Or I could just be completely crazy...

Last edited by SiberianLlama; 03-07-05 at 04:04 AM.
Old 03-07-05, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
Now this may seem completely insane, but I whenever I see Chow Yun Fat, I'm always reminded of Cary Grant. Obviously not the same in terms of physical appearence, but in terms of attitude and body movement, the two seem very similar.

Or I could just be completely crazy...
[/IMG]
Actually, that's a great observation - he's much closer in screen persona to Grant than Clooney, though those who have only seen the handful of his movies (mostly action films) that have been released in the U.S. might not have noticed. I've seen more than 30 of his HK films, including romantic comedies, slapstick, family dramas, etc and he shares with Grant the ease with which he can fit comfortably into so many different genres.
Old 03-07-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hadn't made that connection before but thinking about it, I'm going to say yeah. No disrespect to Cary Grant who is pretty much my favorite actor. I like Clooney more and more everytime I see him.
Old 03-07-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
Now this may seem completely insane, but I whenever I see Chow Yun Fat, I'm always reminded of Cary Grant.
I would say that Chow Yun Fat is more similar to Cary Grant than George Clooney will ever be.
Old 03-08-05, 01:04 PM

After talking to my wife about this, she made a very interesting observation that I would tend to agree with. I really think that George Clooney has more in common with Clark Gable than Cary Grant. Not at all a slam or insult, to say the least.
Old 03-08-05, 05:05 PM

On the commentary for "Ocean's Eleven" either Pitt or Damon (I believe it's Pitt), mention that Clooney reminds them alot of Cary Grant. There are a number of times in the commentary that Pitt, Damon, or Garcia talk about the natural charisma and leadership characteristics Clooney has.
Old 03-08-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Does George Clooney remind you of Cary Grant?"

No.

. . . . . .
Old 03-08-05, 11:09 PM

It faaaaaaccccinates me how much he resembles him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.