Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

my Hoosiers disc is scratched

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-05, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my Hoosiers disc is scratched

I bought Hoosiers at Bestbuy this morning, and I when I watched it this afternoon it started skipping about half way through. Well I turned the disc over, and it had a couple of very bad scratches. Does this happen very often? I don't see how a brand new dvd could be scratched. Will Bestbuy allow me to exchange it? Luckily my copy of Bambi is fine.
Old 03-04-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Was it loose in the case? That's the only reason I can think of for it being that way, provided it was a brand-new, sealed copy.
Old 03-04-05, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by dbmottle
Will Bestbuy allow me to exchange it?
Of course. The product is defective so they have to exchange it for one that works.
Old 03-04-05, 09:23 PM

Does the case say "Made in Mexico" on the back? A lot of my box sets that were made in Mexico had to be exchanged because of scratches.
Old 03-04-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Leechboy
Does the case say "Made in Mexico" on the back? A lot of my box sets that were made in Mexico had to be exchanged because of scratches.
I thought the "made in Mexico" things were on a sticker on the outer wrapping. But you're correct about the Mexico-made disks having more scratch problems than others.
Old 03-04-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think that the Hoosiers SE is in a digipack. For me, DVDs in digipacks have a higher % of scratched discs...I think it's easier for them to press down onto the plastic casing. (E.g. I had to exchange my Eternal Sunshine 3 times until I got one that wasn't scratched).
Old 03-04-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
My first copy was scratched too. I agree that it's because of the digipack. I am dissapointed in Hoosiers casing because unlike recent MGM C.E.'s, the discs are very hard to remove and easily rub against the bottom of their hubs. I have a feeling many of the Hoosiers discs will be scratched.

I exchanged my scratched copy and the new one looks fine, I'll watch the movie tomorrow.
Old 03-05-05, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Mine had some light surface scratches, but the movie plays fine. Disc 2 was loose but looks fine. I wish the packaging was as heavy-duty as Raging Bull... all well.
Old 03-05-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a loose disc but it wasn't scratched.
Old 03-05-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster
I thought the "made in Mexico" things were on a sticker on the outer wrapping. But you're correct about the Mexico-made disks having more scratch problems than others.
I started a thread a few months ago about the whole "made in Mexico" dvds likely having more scratches than other ones. I was severely criticized in that thread for making such a claim. good to see I was right.
Old 03-05-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've bought new DVDs before that came with scratches on the discs. I usually don't bother returning the DVD for an exchange unless the movie starts to skip badly. Because it's just too much hassle to exchange the DVD with minor problem. So if a movie skips or freezes for a few seconds, I usually just ignore that. This happens with my Sex and the City season 6 part 1, Star Trek : DS9, and Babylon 5 DVD. On the other hand, I had problem with Star Wars Trilogy and Without a Trace season 1 DVD skipping for more than a few minutes so I exchanged them for a better one.
Old 03-05-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You will get some new DVDs scratched sometimes, even if they have studio seals and are sitting firmly in the holders when you crack open the shrinkwrap.

I put it down to clumsy packers in the factories.
Old 03-06-05, 09:58 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
...good to see I was right.
Satisfying (for you) maybe, but good to see?
Old 03-06-05, 10:35 AM

yeah return it. it should be no problem

funny story
my friend kept returning his copy of bad boys 2, because it 'messed up'

(it was the layer change)
Old 03-07-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

many studios have begun pressing discs/digipacks in mexico. it is around this time that many have complained of scratched discs. my intent is not to be racy, but to point out that there's a correlation. many of my "made in mexico" digipacks were heavily scratched, and the discs were on the hubs when i got them. it looks like they were dragged along some rough edges (floor, package hubs?) before popped onto the hubs during packaging.
Old 03-07-05, 12:42 PM
Cool New Member

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why people make posts like this? Your Hoosiers disc was scratched? Nifty. Take it back to where you bought it and exchange it. Why post to a message board about it?
Old 03-07-05, 12:42 PM

FWIW, I had to plow through several of these at Best Buy before I found one that didn't rattle. So I think it's an appropriate heads-up for people.
Old 03-07-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a loose disc 2, but it had no visible scratches and seemed to play just fine. Of course I have not watched the game extra so that might have problems, but nothing else appears to be affected.
Old 03-07-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nightshadebooks
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why people make posts like this? Your Hoosiers disc was scratched? Nifty. Take it back to where you bought it and exchange it. Why post to a message board about it?
It's no different than the many other threads that are started here. Such as the numerous "How many dvds do you have?" or "How are your dvds stored" threads...
Old 03-09-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nightshadebooks
Thanks for the thread. I was not planning on watching mine for awhile but opened it to check the condition. Sure enough mine was scratched also.
Old 03-09-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thelwig14
Thanks for the thread. I was not planning on watching mine for awhile but opened it to check the condition. Sure enough mine was scratched also.
Same here. Not the main disk, but the bonus disk. I'm almost all of the way through all of the bonus features (went through the documentary and am at half-time of the game), no skips or anything so far. The scratch is maybe an inch or so long, near the outer edge (along what would be the grooves if a DVD had grooves).

The main disk was also "loose" in that it wasn't where it was supposed to be, instead it was stuck to the top of the bonus disk (top on top), but they were easily separated.

As for the real 1954 Milan (pronounced My-len) vs Muncie Central, gee, I wonder who wins the game?

SPOILERS ON THE GAME

Seriously though, I had expected Milan to come from behind at the end, but they were leading most of the first half (haven't seen the second half yet). Some pretty funny shooting styles, especially the one kid shooting free throws. And what's up with the Muncie Central guy who launches the ball several times from near mid-court (way past what would be the 3-point line today), missing every one?

Last edited by Heat; 03-09-05 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-10-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Muncie guy was supposed to be a money shooter. I have yet to watch the features but I have heard him and others speak about him on other docs and they all say he routinely hit them.
Old 03-13-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thelwig14
The Muncie guy was supposed to be a money shooter. I have yet to watch the features but I have heard him and others speak about him on other docs and they all say he routinely hit them.
I watched the full game again, his name sounded like it was "Razer". I think he hit some a shot or two later, but yeah, he missed at least several in the first half. All would have easily have been 3 point shots, if they had the 3 point shot back then (didn't come about until the late 80s, of course).

If you have this DVD, be sure to watch the game, it really is fascinating on several angles, including how much the game has changed from the 50s. I'm very glad that they put this on the DVD even though the quality of the video and audio is poor.

And I've gone through all of the special features now on Disk 2, the scratch on the DVD hasn't messed with anything, so I'll be keeping it. Disk 1 (the movie) had no scratches on it.

By the way, where have you heard him and others talk about the game? Is this available on-line? I'd like to read (or hear) these interviews.
Old 03-13-05, 05:54 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

If worse comes to worse you could buy the One Disc Version really cheap. It's the same disc.(it comes in a keepcase)

Last edited by feral125; 03-13-05 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-13-05, 09:13 AM

If worse comes to worse you could buy the One Disc Version really cheap. It's the same disc.(it comes in a keepcase)
Isn't the one disc version non-anamorphic?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.