Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dang! When will some decent movies hit theaters?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Okay, I have been seeing about one movie per week for the past month, and I always walk away more or less feeling empty or avoiding new movies because they get very negative reviews.

I look at the major offerings from the past two months (not including Oscar wide release stuff that is held over from last year) and cannot find a single one that isn't tripe and whenever I think something decent might be coming out the critics bash it relentlessly and I just sigh and wait for the next week. What's bad is sometimes I decide to judge for myself and find out that the critics were correct. Past examples of this include Constantine and Cursed, where I while I did get my curiousity satisfied, I was not very entertained of enlightened.

I was anticipating this week as it saw two films I have wanted to see for a while: Be Cool and The Jacket. So I hop on over to rottentomatoes and low and behold they are both getting trashed. Well, maybe I should try Diary of a Mad Black Woman I thought, then I discover that it's reviews are worse than the other two, and it's #1 in the country!!!
I remember last year about this time we were getting some good stuff like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and the surprisingly good Dawn of the Dead remake. When will we finally get out of this slump?!?

Look at the past few weeks offerings:
-Elektra
-Alone in the Dark
-Assault on Precint 13
-Constantine
-Cursed

All got slaughtered by critics, and several I found with justification. The only movie out getting decent reviews right now is Hitch, which is funny but not outstanding.
I will most likely view Be Cool because I have a free pass, but I am growing tired of things that wind up being a waste of time! (The money actually matters less to me, believe it or not)
Old 03-04-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
January, February, March and part of April is always the time when studios release their crappy movies. It's like this every year.
Old 03-04-05, 02:06 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
January, February, March and part of April is always the time when studios release their crappy movies. It's like this every year.
With a name like Mr. Cinema how could he be wrong?

If you haven't seen all the movies that got Oscar nominations, now's a good time to start checking them out at your local second run theater, assuming there's one in your town.
Old 03-04-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was going to suggest the Jacket because I saw it a few months ago but it already looks like it is on your list. I really enjoyed it.
Old 03-04-05, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
March 18th- Melinda and Melinda

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 03-04-05, 02:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

ONG BAK is fun. See that...
Old 03-04-05, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
*slaps head*
Old 03-04-05, 03:22 PM

Well I've been some what dissapointed myself lately but one that stood out as finally being worth the bucks was "Ong Bak". The story was kind of cheesy but man the action was worth the price of admission alone!!!

Some upcoming films I'm in for:

Hostage (I'm hoping this turns out to be decent)
Sin City (Finally a movie and done by the scribe Miller AND Rodriguez, man o man)
Unleashed (This movie looks to have potential and finally a return to a movie with substance for Jet Li)
Star Wars Ep. III
Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Popcorn remake maybe but here's to hope)
Batman Begins
War of the Worlds (We shall see)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Can Depp and Burton make it the way it was SUPPOSED to be made?)
Old 03-04-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Obviously some stuff will be hitting theaters this summer, I'm talking about right now.

What's ONG BAK stand for?
Old 03-04-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by M Polo
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Can Depp and Burton make it the way it was SUPPOSED to be made?)
What was wrong with the older version? I'm very into the movie, and I love Depp and Burton, I don't think they can do wrong together. But Wilder's Willy Wonka was excellent.
Old 03-04-05, 03:35 PM

Welp in the movie it's what the villagers, etc. call the Head of the village statue.

Like said this movie was well worth my dollars. The story while a little goofy was not terrible, but also nothing new. The highlight of this movie was Tony Jaa's amazing martial arts skills. When they said no stunt doubles, etc. I still never imagined the brute force that each knee and elbow land with. You can literally feel every hit in this movie. It is full contact, full speed fighting, there doesn't seem to be one fake punch or kick in the film. Really worth atleast a rent if you can't find it at a theatre locally.
Old 03-04-05, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Obviously some stuff will be hitting theaters this summer, I'm talking about right now.

What's ONG BAK stand for?
ONG-BAK: THE THAI WARRIOR. That's the title.

It's a fun action film in the vein of (wayyyy) early Van Damme, starring Tony Jaa, the heir to the Jackie Chan throne.
Old 03-04-05, 03:38 PM

Yeah guess I didn't say enough there. I'm also a huge fan of the original as it was a childhood favorite and is still a great movie. The original however didn't have the darker almost black comedy feeling like the book did. It seems though from previews that this one definitely tried to dial back into that feeling so we will see.
Old 03-04-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When does ONG BAK hit theaters?
Old 03-04-05, 03:40 PM

It's out now in most markets. I saw it the 2nd week of February in NYC and it released back home here in FL on Feb. 25th if I'm not mistaken.
Old 03-04-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by M Polo
Yeah guess I didn't say enough there. I'm also a huge fan of the original as it was a childhood favorite and is still a great movie. The original however didn't have the darker almost black comedy feeling like the book did. It seems though from previews that this one definitely tried to dial back into that feeling so we will see.
Very true. I think the only part of the original version that hit the darkness of the book was the scene with the odd images being projected while the boat was speeding supposedly out of control. Other than that it was fluffy.

With burton behind the helm I believe it will be darker. He's not a bubbly director.

As for movies coming out, the only thing I'm looking forward to right now is Star Wars episode 3. The title doesn't do much for me, and I think the story won't do much either (I've prevented myself from reading what anyone wrote about it, as to keep it pure), but I'm sure it will be a fun watch.
Old 03-04-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. Movies suck lately.
Old 03-04-05, 04:22 PM
Retired

I'm going to check out The Jacket tonight probably, looked pretty decent from the trailer.
Old 03-05-05, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait to see Ong Bak.

Inside Deep Throat was an interesting documentary that was executed poorly.
Hitch is a decent, but cute romantic comedy.

And those are the only two recommendations I can give someone.
Old 03-05-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wholeheartedly agree. We've been going through a drought for much too long now.
Old 03-05-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I agree. Movies suck lately.
add to that, the world sucks lately.

The internet sucks lately

But there's always a couple of good things out there. Much like in theaters. Now go see Be Cool, twinkle twinkle!
Old 03-05-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jack, what is with all the twinkle twinkle? Guess I need to see Be Cool to find out?

I've decided to go this afternoon and use my free ticket.
Old 03-05-05, 01:17 PM
Banned

Go see the Oscar nominated movies. Most are in theaters some are on DVD. Last movie I saw was Sideways and that was a month ago.
Old 03-05-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I'm glad someone brought this up because I was thinking about the same thing last week...

The last movie I saw in the theater: Million Dollar Baby back in January.

Next movie that I'll actually go to the theater to see: The Interpreter on April 22nd.
Old 03-05-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Slow Hands
Go see the Oscar nominated movies. Most are in theaters some are on DVD. Last movie I saw was Sideways and that was a month ago.
Best idea yet. If you can't wait for DVD, films like Sideways, Million Dollar Baby, and The Aviator are still on over a few hundred screens. Those three films are much better than anything currently out now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.