Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Deadwood question?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deadwood question?

Old 03-02-05, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deadwood question?

I just got this and so far am very disappointed, I couldn't get thru the first 2 episodes because of all the cussing. I was expecting a good western not a cursing fest, I mean every few seconds its F this and GD and so forth, very much over-done. So, here's my question is the rest of Season One as bad with the cussing as the first 2 episodes?? I just don't want to waste any more of my time if that's the case.
Old 03-02-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. The rest of the season is as dramatically compelling as the first two episodes and exhibits the same dynamic characterization. If the swearing prevents you from seeing these things, you'll never enjoy the show.

das
Old 03-02-05, 03:08 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
The cursing continues.

It's your life, and if you can't get past the cursing, so be it, but it's really high quality television, and "c***sucker" is just a word. Deadwood is a good western and a cursing fest.
Old 03-02-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking to sell cheap?
Old 03-02-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Once you get past the c***sucker and all the other cussing, you should find that it's a well-done show. But yeah, the cursing will continue, if not get worse. The show is quite gritty.
Old 03-02-05, 03:20 PM

I normally don't like swearing in any form in RL or in TV ...First time I watched Deadwood it did put me off a bit but I hung in there & Now I can honestly say that Deadwood is one of ,if not the best written TV shows I have ever seen.It's hard to explain,but without the bad language & amazing dialogue the show would not be anywhere near as good.
I've watched Season one at least 10 times & I like it more everytime I see it
I can't wait for season 2 .
Old 03-02-05, 03:21 PM

Thanks for your comments , I don't mine some cursing and enjoy it when its appropriate and funny but this show just goes way beyond that and its gets so tiring hearing it over and over, at least to me anyways. Guess I'll have to sell it now, too bad cause I really wanted to like it.
Old 03-02-05, 03:24 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Sewso
I don't mine some cursing and enjoy it when its appropriate and funny
How do you feel about smoking and blasphemy?

Too bad you can't get into the show; I think it's the best thing on TV. My wife just thinks it's too grim to be enjoyed, but I guess that's why we have Comedy Central, too.
Old 03-02-05, 03:33 PM

I don't mine some cursing and enjoy it when its appropriate and funny .
That may be the problem right there ,Is it appropriate ? I'd say absolutely,for the time & place ..This is Deadwood ,a place where whoring & murder are an everyday occurance,no laws exist,every undesirable type person in land comes there to try to make a quick buck. ..Do you really think they would watch their language ?
Is it supposed to be funny? Not at all .(Except the Mr Wu ep maybe lol)

Last edited by Ttiberius; 03-02-05 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-02-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the cussing dies down after the first 2 eps. Alot in fact. I thought that when I first saw it and as Im watching my DVDs, I notice it again. You can really see it in the "Elsworth" character, he cussed more than AL at first, than later on, barely a fucking word.

Oh and dont reviews mention all the cussing? Did you try reading those to see what they mention about cussing?

Besides the Wu episode thats hilariious, most anything with Jane cussing is great and even Al when he says stuff sarcastically to EB and stuff. Great show

Oddly enough, Im watching Lonesome Dove now... wow, that a difference!
Old 03-02-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
How do you feel about smoking and blasphemy?
Old 03-02-05, 04:02 PM

I think the show is using bad language as a gimmick to attract an immature audience. Constant trash talk isn't dynamic or entertaining, its rather boring actually.

I don't think there's anything further from the truth,Try & watch at least 4 or 5 eps before you make up your mind , I think you may be pleasantly surprised.
Then again maybe not ,but there is no way that this show is targetting an immature audience,If anything its for a very intelligent,mature audience.

Last edited by Ttiberius; 03-02-05 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-02-05, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ttiberius
I don't think there's anything further from the truth,Try & watch at least 4 or 5 eps before you make up your mind , I think you may be pleastly surprised.
Then again maybe not ,but there is no way that this show is targetting an immature audience,If anything its for a very intelligent,mature audience.
I deleted my last response, its not really fair after seeing only 2 episodes.
Old 03-02-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "Mr. Wu" episode is one of the few without much cursing.
Old 03-02-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenous
I think the cussing dies down after the first 2 eps. Alot in fact. I thought that when I first saw it and as Im watching my DVDs, I notice it again. You can really see it in the "Elsworth" character, he cussed more than AL at first, than later on, barely a fucking word.
Agreed. After the first episode, I really only noticed two main cussers, Al and Jane.
Old 03-02-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Sewso:

"Welcome To F@#king Deadwood!"

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 03-02-05 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-02-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wu: "WHITE C**KSUCKERS!"

Al: "I sure am glad I taught you that word."
Old 03-02-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
This aint no god damn little house on the prairie. Laura Ingles would have have been in a whore house and Ma and Pa shot dead. This here is mining town without laws. The place is run by a corupt ummm pimp. Vagina is leading industry. What did you expect in place like this. Hell there isn't more cussing than the average highschool.
Old 03-02-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why did you have to go and sully the good name of Walnut Grove?
Old 03-02-05, 11:41 PM
Banned

Its a great show. I just finsihed episode 4 and now I see what all the hype was about. Boy I hope Al gets killed at the end of the series, I HATE HIM!!! The show does have alot of cussing, but its not as bad as I thought it would be. Have you see Fargo or South Park:Bigger, Longer and Uncut? Those are two films where the cussing is ridicolous, but Deadwood isn't that bad, it wasn't distracting at all.
Old 03-03-05, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Why did you have to go and sully the good name of Walnut Grove?
This is classic, I live the next town over from Walnut Grove and drive through it all the time...ha....
Old 03-03-05, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dalvin
Boy I hope Al gets killed at the end of the series, I HATE HIM!!!
OK- a bit off topic- but how can you hate Al? I think he's the most intriguing character on the show! He's definitely my favorite!
Old 03-03-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I just re-watched the first episode and there was NO WHERE NEAR as much cursing as i remember and people are making it out to be
Old 03-03-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Some interesting Deadwood facts:

The Gem Saloon took in an average of $5,000 a day, that is 1870's dollars not 2005.

The Gem was burned down in 3 fires, rebuilt everytime.

And as far as Al goes
Spoiler:
He was not orphaned, his twin brother and father both worked at times at the Gem. And he died penniless, killed by a train while trying to hitch a ride in Colorado.

Last edited by Jadzia; 03-03-05 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-04-05, 06:19 AM

I'm glad I gave it another chance, the cursing fell off dramatically after the first 2 episodes. I re-watched the first 2 again and was able to follow the show better, I think the cussing was a big distraction the first viewing. I'm now into the show and enjoying it, I was sorry and surprised that Wild Bill got killed off so fast though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.