Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Your thoughts on the mini series Kingpin?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up Kingpin, I have never seen the miniseries when it aired but thought I might enjoy it because I like the gerne and I am obessed with Sopranos. Just curious what others thought about this show? I thought the acting was decent and the story line was done well, sorta along the lines of Traffic, which I enjoyed. I got hooked and wish they would have made an actual show out of this but oh well. The only thing I didn't like about it was the abrupt ending it had.
Old 03-02-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meh. It was average. It seemed like it was trying way too hard to be The Sopranos but was lacking the same quality style of storytelling. I didn't dislike it, but it wasn't something I overly anticipated after the first few episodes.

das
Old 03-02-05, 03:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I agree with das, it wasn't anything special.

NBC chose Boomtown over it when it came time for the fall schedule. By the way they treated Boomtown Kingpin wouldn't have lasted very long anyway.
Old 03-02-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea it probably wouldn't have lasted that long, does anyone remeber that other mob TV show that was on the mid 90s, I think it was a basic TV station show that was losely based off Donnie Brasco, the name of the show was the FBI guys name?
Old 03-02-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I agree with the comments above. I liked it, but didn't love it. You're libel to watch the episodes once and quickly forget about them after you've watched them. Better than most hour dramas that are on the air now, but nothing in the league of The Sopranos, 24 or Deadwood.
Old 03-02-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
Yea it probably wouldn't have lasted that long, does anyone remeber that other mob TV show that was on the mid 90s, I think it was a basic TV station show that was losely based off Donnie Brasco, the name of the show was the FBI guys name?
was it wise guy? Anyway, kingpin was ok. It had lots of hype but not much substance.
Old 03-02-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE

I think you're talking about "Falcone" with Jason Gedrick

http://www.tvtome.com/Falcone/