DVD Talk
stainless steel flask of liquor in carry on bag on plane. Go or no go? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : stainless steel flask of liquor in carry on bag on plane. Go or no go?

mikehunt
03-02-05, 03:18 PM
they will sell it to you mid flight, but can you carry a flask of it with you?
will the TSA nazis go ape shit at seeing a metal flask on the x-ray?
alcohol was not listed in the prohibited items pdf

majorjoe23
03-02-05, 03:21 PM
Well, since some liquors are flammable, I would guess it falls under the "incendiaries" category.

Red Dog
03-02-05, 03:23 PM
I've taken alcohol on planes before. Can't remember if I have since 9/11 though.

wendersfan
03-02-05, 03:24 PM
You're really dreading that Mormon wedding, aren't you? :lol:

Flashback
03-02-05, 03:26 PM
I've taken alcohol on planes before. Can't remember if I have since 9/11 though.

I have taken about 6 liters of booze at a time on a plane a few times in the past year/year and a half. It was bottled an not open. But they never checked to see if it was open or not.

mikehunt
03-02-05, 03:29 PM
:) just thought it might make the flight a little more fun

Ketamine
03-02-05, 03:30 PM
Isn't taking alcohol across state lines an issue?

Red Dog
03-02-05, 03:33 PM
Isn't taking alcohol across state lines an issue?

No. Think about all the people who buy rum and tequila in the Carribbean and Mexico and fly back to the US. There are also the people who go to wineries in Napa/Sonoma and then fly back to wherever. There is a limit of course.

dick_grayson
03-02-05, 03:36 PM
I never understood flasks. aren't they just open containers? where can a brother drink a flask and it be legal?

emanon
03-02-05, 03:36 PM
After spending some time in the Duty Free in the Copenhagen Airport this past weekend, I'm gonna say you're good to go!

mikehunt
03-02-05, 03:43 PM
No. Think about all the people who buy rum and tequila in the Carribbean and Mexico and fly back to the US. There are also the people who go to wineries in Napa/Sonoma and then fly back to wherever. There is a limit of course.

or like all the 19 and 20 year olds in Buffalo that go to Fort Erie or Niagara Falls and bring back liquor. Although last time I was a passenger on one of those runs it was pre 9/11. although I think you could still pull it off. Obviously wouldn't matter for those over 21

Mutley Hyde
03-02-05, 03:48 PM
Last time I visited my brother in Arizona (wayyy post-9/11), in my carry on luggage, which was a backpack and a small duffle bag, I brought back 50 pounds worth of beer that we just don't get here in Texas.

Yeah, I carried it on the flight. 50 pounds. :lol:

Anyway, no probs from the TSA nazis. I knew carrying closed bottles of beer wouldn't be an issue, but I didn't know whether they'd want to go through my shit to make sure they weren't pre-packaged Molotov cocktails, or whatnot, but they just scanned 'em and didn't say or do anything about 'em.

I don't think you'll have any trouble with the flask, open container or no. It's not on the list of banned stuff, and hell, you're not the one flying. -wink-

Jon22B
03-02-05, 03:53 PM
or like all the 19 and 20 year olds in Buffalo that go to Fort Erie or Niagara Falls and bring back liquor. Although last time I was a passenger on one of those runs it was pre 9/11. although I think you could still pull it off. Obviously wouldn't matter for those over 21

Not sure but I think it'd be illegal since you'd be underaged (in the US)anyway, regardless of whether it's legal/illegal to transport booze across state/country borders.

Having gone to Canada many times when I went to UB I always shat my pants going through border checks, you know being of the minority type, let alone even think about sneaking in alcohol across. I've always wanted to get a case of Molson XXX back though.

Red Dog
03-02-05, 03:55 PM
I've always wanted to get a case of Molson XXX back though.

When I was a sophomore in college back in 1991, we made a 5-hour trek to Niagara Falls for the specific purpose of loading up on Molson XXX. Well that and hitting some great strip clubs. ;)

mikehunt
03-02-05, 04:09 PM
Not sure but I think it'd be illegal since you'd be underaged (in the US)anyway, regardless of whether it's legal/illegal to transport booze across state/country borders.

Having gone to Canada many times when I went to UB I always shat my pants going through border checks, you know being of the minority type, let alone even think about sneaking in alcohol across. I've always wanted to get a case of Molson XXX back though.

:lol: you went to UB
oh wait, so did I, I better not mock it then ;)

yeah, I'm sure the 19 and 20 year olds would be in trouble if they got caught.
Luckily me and a couple other of my friends that moved up to buffalo for school turned 21 within 6 months of moving so we didn't have to do the border runs much, although since my other friends were younger we still went to bars(regular non-strip club ones not just strip clubs) in N.F. for a year or two

we once passed a bottle of peppermint schnapps around (just the passengers not the driver) on the drive up to one of the strip clubs, and got worried at the border. can't remember but I think we were 21 at that point, still not good to have an open bottle of schnapps in a car though

Ketamine
03-02-05, 04:16 PM

I know people do it and you may be right in general but at least some states don't allow it.

One example.
http://www.utahtrooper.com/files/bootlegging.html

mikehunt
03-02-05, 04:22 PM
perfect example, the state I'm going to

Ketamine
03-02-05, 04:24 PM
perfect example, the state I'm going to

There you go, though I doubt they would actually check your bag unless you were unlucky.

Jon22B
03-02-05, 04:24 PM
we once passed a bottle of peppermint schnapps around (just the passengers not the driver) on the drive up to one of the strip clubs, and got worried at the border. can't remember but I think we were 21 at that point, still not good to have an open bottle of schnapps in a car though

Ah the stupidity of youth...My friend was a bouncer at a few of the clubs/bars downtown so we'd go there a lot. One night while driving back home "slightly" inebriated we (group of 5 guys) started rocking to Bon Jovi and then drag raced an older 40's couple in my '91 Corolla. lol

EDIT: btw what year did you graduate?

Spanky BananaPants
03-02-05, 04:27 PM
Yeah, bringing alcohol into the State of Utah is technically illegal. But I've done it many, many times without a single problem. Most often, I bring it in from Wyoming, which Ketamine referenced in his link. I've also brought it back with me on my flights from Seattle and Calgary. Not a big deal, really. Chances are very good that you won't have a problem.

Groucho
03-02-05, 04:29 PM
Save some for GROUCHO!!!

ChiTownAbs, Inc
03-02-05, 04:37 PM
are you afraid to fly?

mikehunt
03-02-05, 04:59 PM
EDIT: btw what year did you graduate?

actually finished Dec 01 but went through the May 02 ceremony

dick_grayson
03-02-05, 05:00 PM
I never understood flasks. aren't they just open containers? where can a brother drink a flask and it be legal?

anyone?

mikehunt
03-02-05, 05:02 PM
are you afraid to fly?

nope. been doing it since I was a kid, well technically since I was a fetus. Went to the Bahamas while still in the womb. Grandparents lived in SC so we flew every thanksgiving vacation and for Easter vacation if it was early in the year, drove if the weather was better. Haven't flown much since highschool though, and now that I'm fully grown I've come to appreciate how crappy the lack of space is in coach class seating. Hoping for an aisle seat so I can stretch my legs up the outer side of the seat row and just move them when people walk by, my printout from travelocity doesn't say what my seat is

mikehunt
03-02-05, 05:04 PM
I have no idea where they're actually legal to drink from in public. I've never used mine, got it free from a place I ordered other stuff at

SpaceBoy
03-02-05, 07:59 PM
YOu can't take this on the plane, just like you can't take any open containor period on the plane. My friend had a very pricey bottle of scotch taken when he went through security since it had been opened.

I'm betting no way you can get through with it.

I also had a buddy who got severly yelled and threatened, because he had a few beers with him hidden, and tried to open one on the plane..

If it's unopened it's a different story, hence duty free etc.

Jon22B
03-02-05, 08:25 PM
anyone?

I just had a thought. You can't tell what's in a flask so I think it would be legal. Why do I think so? People drink beer out of brown paper bags all the time and cops don't (can't?) say nothing.

Mike, I graduated in '01.

grrrah
03-02-05, 08:57 PM
anyone?

I always take alcohol on planes. never in a flask, usually in a water bottle :D

Im not trying to hide it, just more convenient and I can toss the bottle after. Ive taken open glass bottles (costco size vodka) on weekend trips to vegas with no problems. even poured mid-flight for my whole row.

Sdallnct
03-02-05, 09:27 PM
You need to check the airlines web site. I believe most do allow unopened bottles. But none that I know of allow you to bring on that you will drink.

I take a couple of flasks with me when I ski, but they are always in my check in.

MitzEclipse
03-02-05, 09:46 PM
YOu can't take this on the plane, just like you can't take any open containor period on the plane. My friend had a very pricey bottle of scotch taken when he went through security since it had been opened.

How do people bring their Latte's from Starbucks on Airplanes? I've never had a problem with this flying...

Sdallnct
03-02-05, 10:28 PM
Of course you can take open containers on board (Cokes, coffee, etc). In fact they invite you to ("there will be no meal served on this plane, but you are welcome to bring food or a snack aboard").

Here is the policy from Southwest Airlines,

Alcoholic Beverages

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may carry alcohol through the security checkpoint and onboard our aircraft under the following conditions:

Alcoholic beverage must be in the original container with the manufacturer’s label.
Flasks or unmarked containers cannot be carried onboard unless they are empty.
The seal may be broken or unbroken.
The maximum quantity of alcohol that may be transported on Southwest Airlines per Customer is five liters. Wine is not subject to the five-liter-per-person limitation. Wine in checked baggage must be securely packaged in a leak-proof bag with a Styrofoam cushioning and a sturdy cardboard outer package to prevent spillage.
Alcohol content may not exceed 70% by volume (140 proof) in either checked or unchecked luggage.
As mandated by Federal Aviation Regulations, only alcohol served by Southwest Airlines Flight Attendants may be consumed onboard our aircraft.

BizRodian
03-02-05, 10:52 PM
Security here will have problems with any unknown substance. Open liquior is no go.