Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone Else Mistakenly Believe Jack Nicholson Was Dead This Morning?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 08:34 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to stop trying to watch the morning news while trying to deal with a fussy newborn and a wife drying her hair. I heard what I thought were the words "Jack Nichols..." and "dead", then saw shots of a palatial estate in what I thought was California (turned out to be Florida), and my heart stopped. Could the finest actor to have ever graced celluloid actually be dead from an accident in his own home? Turns out the report was about the accidental drowning of golf pro Jack Nicklaus's grandchild. Now don't get me wrong, that's a horrible occurrence, and as a new father, I feel absolutely dreadful for Mr. Nicklaus and his family--I can't wrap my mind around how horrible this must be for them--but on a completely separate level, I have to admit, I'm so pleased Jack Nicholson is still with us. The world just isn't ready to spin without him. Just wondered if anyone else had their heart take a skip this morning by misunderstanding this report?
Old 03-02-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts
I missed this news item.

Still, interesting. And I have to give it to you,sir. You are pretty brave to admit this unsolicited. The fact is that we all value some people over others, but it usually looks bad to admit it outloud.

Million dollar question though, what if it wasn't some old hockey pro's grandkid, but his cute little brown puppy that drowned instead?
Old 03-02-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to here about the child, I know of several kids that have drowned becuase of swimming pool. It only takes a few seconds, they are so small and fall in with so little noise.
Old 03-02-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, but apparently everyone at my brother's high school thinks Jon Heder is dead.
Old 03-02-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, but apparently everyone at my brother's high school thinks Jon Heder is dead.
It's funny in that also tons of people on my journal's friends list have said the same thing, so it's more than just your brother's high school.
Old 03-02-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Million dollar question though, what if it wasn't some old hockey pro's grandkid, but his cute little brown puppy that drowned instead?
Hockey? Anyway, it wouldn't have made the news if it was the dog.

I didn't think Nicholson was dead, but a while back I saw a crawl about the death of William Gibson and thought it was the author. It turned out it was someone from the NAACP. I think another William Gibson died recently too.
Old 03-02-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had something similar this morning as I caught the item in a crawl at the bottom of the newscast, and the first two times I saw it I could only see "...ack Nickalaus dies of drowning in hot tub."

And, yes, like the OP I was shocked -- but it wasn't until the third go-round for the item that I saw the "Grandson of Jack Nickalaus...".

Less shocked, but still, that's shitty.

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I missed this news item.

Still, interesting. And I have to give it to you,sir. You are pretty brave to admit this unsolicited. The fact is that we all value some people over others, but it usually looks bad to admit it outloud.

Where did you get hockey from?
Old 03-02-05, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am glad Jack is still with us! As a semi golf follower my prayers go out to Jack Nickalaus and his family.
Old 03-02-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really sad about the drowning and that is always awful to hear.

-----

I would probably be in a state of shock if Nicholson had gone today. When it does happen though, it will NOT be a good day or month for that matter.
Old 03-03-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I felt worse knowing it was Jack Nicklaus' grandchild then if it would have been Jack Nicholson.

Stew