Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Blockbuster's Movie Passes

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Blockbuster's Movie Passes

Well, as of today Blockbuster has added a third Movie Pass option: 1 out for $9.99 for the first month, then $14.99/month. However, I found out that you can take advantage of the promo price for EACH tier of the program. So you could take the three out for a month at $19.99 (regular $29.99) and cancel it. Then you could take the two out for one month at $14.99 (regular $24.99) and cancel it. Then you could do the one out for $9.99 (regular $14.99) and then cancel it.

Also the Game Pass is on a promotion this month for $14.99 for the first month for one out (regular $19.99).
Old 03-02-05, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
"However, I found out that you can take advantage of the promo price for EACH tier of the program."

you found out?

this isnt really a secret. it is a different promotion for each so did you think you wouldnt be able to sign up for each one, with the trial first month discount?

they want you to.
if you signed up for each one i'm sure you would be customer of the year.
Old 03-02-05, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the point of your comment, Whotony? I mean, c'mon man. If you don't have something positive to say, just don't say anything.
Old 03-02-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i did say something positive.
you would be customer of the year if you signed up for all the different passes.
why so sensitive, i didnt so anything bad about you, or the op.
Old 03-02-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whotony
"However, I found out that you can take advantage of the promo price for EACH tier of the program."

you found out?

this isnt really a secret. it is a different promotion for each so did you think you wouldnt be able to sign up for each one, with the trial first month discount?

they want you to.
if you signed up for each one i'm sure you would be customer of the year.
nice
Old 03-02-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i did say something positive.
you would be customer of the year if you signed up for all the different passes.
why so sensitive, i didnt so anything bad about you, or the op.
He is not saying sign up for all three passes at the same time. In the past you had to go to different locations if you wanted to keep signing up for $14.99.
Old 03-02-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bmello
I found out that you can take advantage of the promo price for EACH tier of the program. So you could take the three out for a month at $19.99 (regular $29.99) and cancel it. Then you could take the two out for one month at $14.99 (regular $24.99) and cancel it. Then you could do the one out for $9.99 (regular $14.99) and then cancel it.
well really how can you tell he didnt intend for the post to read as getting all at the same time.

from that quote in the first post, it reads like that was the idea.

plus if you want to, you can do exactly that.

i never put down the origional post.
never insulted anyone.
why didnt he just post this in one of the existing movie pass threads anyway.
Old 03-02-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

well really how can you tell he didnt intend for the post to read as getting all at the same time.

never insulted anyone.
After reading the OP's post, I never once for a second thought that he meant to have all 3 movie passes at one time. That would be plain stupidity, but I guess if you did do it, you could have 6 movies out at one time.

After reading your post, you came off as very condescending.
Old 03-02-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

never insulted anyone.

You're not very observant are you?

The O/P lists a clear cronological sequence.

"So you could take the three out for a month at $19.99 (regular $29.99) and cancel it. -------> Then you could take the two out for one month at $14.99 (regular $24.99) and cancel it. ---------> Then you could do the one out for $9.99 (regular $14.99) and then cancel it."

Extra spaces added for emphases.
Old 03-02-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks a lot, OP, I'll give this a try. I prefer renting B&M than to the slower online rental services.
Old 03-02-05, 10:52 PM

One thing I've noticed at my local Blockbuster is that new releases are harder to rent now that they've started their "End of Late Fees" promotion. Often I'll stop off there on a Tuesday after work and they'll already be out of certain titles, and they'll remain that way until after the weekend. RAY was one that took a while to see for example; the people that worked there told me that after it rented out the first day, they didn't get one in again until the following Sunday.

I don't know why they had a full wall of THE FORGOTTEN and only two shelves of RAY, but my point is that people should consider what time of day and how often they'll be stopping in when signing up. If you can stop in on new release Tuesdays at lunch hour, having 2 or 3 out might be worth your while. But if you work late, don't be surprised if you can't find things as easily now, and maybe consider just going for the single out pass in case you find yourself disappointed at the empty shelves.
Old 03-03-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Geist, you are right about new releases being hard to find because some people keep them out so long, and the quantity they choose for certain titles seems illogical, but overall I find B&M rental chain stores work well for new releases if you don't mind waiting until a week or two after release.

My problem with new releases is I don't go to movie theaters very often so I don't know one new release from another. I try to read reviews on IMDB and no matter how bad or good the movie is, it seems there are nearly an equal number of "greatest movie ever" and "worst movie ever" type comments, so I end up taking stabs in the dark and regretting most of the rentals, quite frequently bailing on the movie in the middle. Fortunately when you have the 1st month special rate then it's not so bad to waste rentals. It's good they are offering more choices and more specials at each location.

The problem I have with B&M rental chain stores is on older movies. If a new release of an old movie comes out, it's unlikely they will carry it. I suppose since Bambi is a classic, they will break their rule and carry 1 or 2 copies of that for rent (not that it matters since I bought it). The majority of my DVD purchases are on older titles I've seen as it's difficult for me to know to buy a movie I haven't seen. For instance, there are many Doris Day movies coming out around May 3rd (including some I haven't seen). What's the chance that a B&M rental chain store will carry any of those for rent? Somewhere between 0 and 0. That's why I feel like I'm going to be forced to try an online rental service someday.

I dream that instead of having a nearby rental store which gets 50-100 copies of each new release movie and then thins it down to 1 copy after 6 months that there would be a store with a rental pass that gets 1 or 2 copies of every DVD released (by a major studio no matter how old the movie is) and gets far fewer copies of new release movies. I know that will never happen as it seems judging by rental habits that most people are only interested in brand new movies, but there are in fact a lot of good movies made before 2000. BTW, this is just my opinion and this post is not meant to be a negative complaint or rant.
Old 03-03-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sweet, I didn't even know they had a 3 out program. I'm all over that.
Old 03-03-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Is this the online program we're talking about? Thinking of having my mom switch over to this to save her some money (currently has the 2 out for $25/month) My question is are the new releases easier to check out than they have been lately in-store. Do they ever 'sell-out' online, or are you pretty much guaranteed to get the one(s) you want?
Old 03-03-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Artman
Is this the online program we're talking about? Thinking of having my mom switch over to this to save her some money (currently has the 2 out for $25/month) My question is are the new releases easier to check out than they have been lately in-store. Do they ever 'sell-out' online, or are you pretty much guaranteed to get the one(s) you want?
this is the B&M program.
Old 03-03-05, 01:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It still doesn't beat Hollywood's 3 movies at a time for $9.99(the first 3 months).

After the 3 months is up you can cancel and rejoin for $9.99 again.
Old 03-03-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chemosh6969
It still doesn't beat Hollywood's 3 movies at a time for $9.99(the first 3 months).

After the 3 months is up you can cancel and rejoin for $9.99 again.
Does the pass also let you rent new releases?
Old 03-03-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kar10
Does the pass also let you rent new releases?
I think that the titles have to be out for 6 weeks or something like that.
Old 03-03-05, 06:30 PM

Hollywood Video's deal sounds good, but I want to see new releases more quickly than that.

Blockbuster said that they would be creating a B&M/Online Combo pass, which I think would be the best option for me: get the rare titles on my website queue I want to see that the store doesn't have in stock, and then drop them off in the store itself in exchange for new releases. I haven't heard anything about that in a while though, so who even knows if they really will follow through on it.
Old 03-03-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by island007
You're not very observant are you?

The O/P lists a clear cronological sequence.

"So you could take the three out for a month at $19.99 (regular $29.99) and cancel it. -------> Then you could take the two out for one month at $14.99 (regular $24.99) and cancel it. ---------> Then you could do the one out for $9.99 (regular $14.99) and then cancel it."

Extra spaces added for emphases.
i see it better now with the extra spaces. thanks for helping me see what he was saying.
Old 03-03-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

really, though alot of people are coming in to ask about and sign up for the 1 out at a time pass. it is a good deal for alot of people.
Old 03-03-05, 11:02 PM

i have switched from the 3 out at a time to the 2 and now to the 1 - and not to save on the one time discount - mainly because with the "no late fees" policy, there are not nearly as many titles available -

i have spoken to several employees who have acknolwedged as much...they reported that the no late fees policy was tested in 3 random locations prior to going national and that in those locations there is an initial period when people rent out everything and keep it for a long time before returning then are getting charged for the movie...according to this past research, the customers eventually revert close back to normal...

i am really not happy about this policy, but since i live about 1000 yards from blockbuster, it makes sense for me to do 1 out at a time and make more trips...