Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where is DTS?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Where is DTS?

Old 03-01-05, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is DTS?

Why all of a sudden is there such a lack of DTS tracks on newer movies? Shrek 2 lacks one, but one was included on Shrek. Shark Tale does not have one and neither does Ray. The Village has one in Region 3 as do many other titles. Is it a licensing fee that's too expensive to pay here? It's odd they put DTS on older titles that were originally only dolby 2.0 (new line is doing this) but not on something new. Only Spielberg movies seem to be guaranteed dts.
Old 03-02-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never understood the hype about DTS. The Acronym stands for Digital Theater System. It's a system for movies shown in theaters that have audio on a CD, hnces the "digital" in the name. How does this translate to DVD? The disc itself is digital. Isn't it therefore a misnomer or a redundency to even describe any sound on a DVD as DTS? Some even consider other sound formats better than DTS.
Old 03-02-05, 07:29 AM
Cool New Member

People aren't really after the 'DTS' name, just a higher audio bit-rate.
Old 03-02-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, the room for all those extra trailers (forced and not) have to come from somewhere.
Old 03-02-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by compulsive dvd
Why all of a sudden is there such a lack of DTS tracks on newer movies? Shrek 2 lacks one, but one was included on Shrek. Shark Tale does not have one and neither does Ray. The Village has one in Region 3 as do many other titles. Is it a licensing fee that's too expensive to pay here? It's odd they put DTS on older titles that were originally only dolby 2.0 (new line is doing this) but not on something new. Only Spielberg movies seem to be guaranteed dts.
On the other hand, the last two movies I rented (I, Robot and Bourne Identity) included what was LABELED as DTS 5.1 but REALLY was DTS 6.1 which my receiver could not play.
Old 03-02-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only Spielberg movies seem to be guaranteed dts.
Spielberg has a large investment in DTS, if I remember correctly.
Old 03-02-05, 08:37 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I watched Collateral over the weekend. It had DTS.
Old 03-02-05, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by slowcloud
I never understood the hype about DTS. The Acronym stands for Digital Theater System. It's a system for movies shown in theaters that have audio on a CD, hnces the "digital" in the name. How does this translate to DVD? The disc itself is digital. Isn't it therefore a misnomer or a redundency to even describe any sound on a DVD as DTS? Some even consider other sound formats better than DTS.
DTS is the name of a company. That company (among other things it does)created and licenses a multichannel encoding system for home video media that it promotes as being superior to Dolby Digital, for a variety of reasons. Many people agree that it is indeed superior. The "hype" about DTS is from people who want this purportedly superior sound to be included on DVD, as it is on many.

RichC
Old 03-02-05, 08:59 AM

My suspicion is that, while the cost of creating and possibly licensing a DTS track may have something to do with it, it's just as much a bandwidth issue.

When designing a release, the question is asked: what will sell more DVDs? A DTS track or a gag reel? A DTS track or some more deleted scenes? A DTS track or a special-effects featurette?

More often than not, particularly if they go with a one-disc package, the DTS track gets squeezed out.

That's the feeling I get, anyway.

RichC
Old 03-02-05, 09:08 AM

I guess my hearing (or my system ) just isn't that good because personally I could never really tell the difference between DTS and 5.1. Or if I did I really didn't care enough about it to be cognizant of it JMO
Old 03-02-05, 09:15 AM

The real truth.......the whole truth is, region one has too many different languages that the studios wanna cater too.
Obviously we'll get a English Dolby track, it's mandatory.
Then you gotta add a French track for the Canadians and/or a Spanish track for the growing hispanic population and out the window goes the DTS track a lot of us want. There just isn't enough room left for it.

I said to hell with it a long time ago and have been enjoying a region free DTS lifestyle ever since.
Old 03-02-05, 09:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
of the major studios FOX seems like the only one committed to the DTS audio option, strangely Universal and Dreamworks are lacking.
Old 03-02-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
On the current DVD spec, DTS is optional on discs. Also it is not mandatory in equipment, thus there are a few lower end players and receivers that can't do DTS. For next-gen Blu-ray and HD-DVD, DTS technology is mandatory on all equipment so hopefully we'll see some more discs out there with DTS audio.
DTS also takes up more space on the disc so some studios prefer to put in that one extra documentary and such.
Spielberg was one of the original investors for DTS so that's why we see a lot of DTS tracks on his movies.

rfduncan mentioned:
"On the other hand, the last two movies I rented (I, Robot and Bourne Identity) included what was LABELED as DTS 5.1 but REALLY was DTS 6.1 which my receiver could not play."
DTS tracks are backwards compatible. So in this case, I believe the information for the surround back speaker will be mixed in with the surround right and surround left so we don't lose any information.
BTW-if you haven't figured out already, I'm a big fan of DTS and search out a DTS track when I can. There's a never ending Dolby vs. DTS debate that really comes down to personal preference after awhile.
Old 03-02-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by rexinnih
On the current DVD spec, DTS is optional on discs. Also it is not mandatory in equipment, thus there are a few lower end players and receivers that can't do DTS. For next-gen Blu-ray and HD-DVD, DTS technology is mandatory on all equipment so hopefully we'll see some more discs out there with DTS audio.
DTS also takes up more space on the disc so some studios prefer to put in that one extra documentary and such.
Spielberg was one of the original investors for DTS so that's why we see a lot of DTS tracks on his movies.

rfduncan mentioned:
"On the other hand, the last two movies I rented (I, Robot and Bourne Identity) included what was LABELED as DTS 5.1 but REALLY was DTS 6.1 which my receiver could not play."
DTS tracks are backwards compatible. So in this case, I believe the information for the surround back speaker will be mixed in with the surround right and surround left so we don't lose any information.
BTW-if you haven't figured out already, I'm a big fan of DTS and search out a DTS track when I can. There's a never ending Dolby vs. DTS debate that really comes down to personal preference after awhile.
Just to clarify your point (I think), a DTS decoder will be mandatory in the HARDWARE (players) not the SOFTWARE (discs). While I hope there are more DTS tracks in the next gen format, it wouldn't surprise me if there weren't.
Old 03-02-05, 10:02 AM

On the other hand, the last two movies I rented (I, Robot and Bourne Identity) included what was LABELED as DTS 5.1 but REALLY was DTS 6.1 which my receiver could not play.

Should of played fine, as they are backwards compatible
Old 03-02-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope HD/Blu-ray DVDs have more DTS tracks as well.
I think its mandatory that 6.1 be backwards compatible isn't it? I have several DTS 6.1 discs but only a 5.1 reciever and they play fine. As far as superiority, it is personal preference, but after comparing LOTR DD vs DTS I found a major difference in sound, especially the LFE. DTS sounded MUCH better on my system. As mentioned though, some systems you may not be able to hear the difference.
Old 03-02-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rexinnih
I dunno - my DTS works fine on older titles (like Saving Private Ryan) but did NOT work with those two newer titles. My player ID'ed the audio track as DTS 6 but nothing came out of the speakers.
Old 03-02-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never understood the hype about DTS.
Oh, come on. You know that pretty red logo just makes it sound better.
Old 03-02-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
My player ID'ed the audio track as DTS 6 but nothing came out of the speakers.
What were the titles, and what is your equipment? As has been said, DTS is backwards compatible, so with a 6.1 track, the sixth track (rear center) will be split to the left and right rear channels. It sounds like there is a problem with your equipment somewhere.

The Acronym stands for Digital Theater System. It's a system for movies shown in theaters that have audio on a CD, hnces the "digital" in the name. How does this translate to DVD? The disc itself is digital. Isn't it therefore a misnomer or a redundency to even describe any sound on a DVD as DTS?
The company, Digital Theater Systems, existed years before DVD was invented. I doubt they were interested in renaming the company to make it less redundant, especially since DTS was already a name familiar with many filmgoers.

Besides the word "digital" being redundant, I guess DTS would also a misnomer because the T stands for theater, and you're at home, not in a movie theater. But that's a whole other can of worms.

It's like the old joke, "Why do we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?" Really, who gives a shit what DTS stands for?
Old 03-02-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
I guess my hearing (or my system ) just isn't that good because personally I could never really tell the difference between DTS and 5.1. Or if I did I really didn't care enough about it to be cognizant of it JMO
That's interesting because I can almost ALWAYS tell the difference - and DTS almost always sounds worlds better than 5.1.
Old 03-02-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Happy to see this hasn't turned into a sound format war ... yet ...

Can't really offer any reasons why reg.1 releases do not contain DTS tracks as an option. There could very well be many. What is frustrating, regardless of quality over or under Dolby Digital is simply, the option of not having it.

Even with lower tier releases overseas, there is a much, much greater percentage of DVDs with DTS and DD tracks as a standard. This is especially true for Korean (reg.3) and Japanese (reg.2) releases. Blockbuster releases from these areas will always contain a DTS track. In some cases the DD track sounds better, in other cases it's DTS that wins out. Either way, it's all about having this option available. Video quality may suffer while sharing space with two available soundtracks, but it's not as big of a concern for me since the largest screen I'll probably ever own won't be larger than 50". It's all about the sound ..

So, to answer your question, all the DTS tracks went overseas ..
Old 03-02-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never understood the hype about DTS.
When the DTS option sound better than everything else 9 times out of 10... it ceases to be 'hype'.

Seriously, I have no vested interest in any particular company/format/name. But on my system at least, the DTS option is better basically every single time.
Old 03-02-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That's interesting because I can almost ALWAYS tell the difference - and DTS almost always sounds worlds louder than 5.1.
Fixed.
Old 03-02-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How does this translate to DVD? The disc itself is digital. Isn't it therefore a misnomer or a redundency to even describe any sound on a DVD as DTS?
Er...no. No matter what the acronym stands for, it also the name of a audio codec (or a family of audio codecs, anyway). There would be no other way to accurately describe the codec being used than to call it a DTS track.

This would be like complaining that "VHS" is a misnomer once it is being used outside of a home.

DJ
Old 03-02-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"and DTS almost always sounds worlds louder than 5.1."

Yeah, same thing with me, the DTS tracks are usually louder, but better? dunno about that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.